1900s Biographies


We recently came across a couple of old books with several local entries :
Surrey at the Opening of the Twentieth Century - Contemporary Biographies by Hitchin, W.E. and Pike, W.T., published in 1906 by W T Pike & Co Brighton

and

Surrey: Historical Biographical and Pictorial, edited by John Grant published by The London and Provincial Publishing Co Ltd., London (Publication date not known but probably between 1900 and 1910, but published only for subscribers at £6.6s per copy).
These books would have had very limited print runs, and are most likely to have been privately published. They were really pandering to the vanity of the subjects who probably supplied the details and had to to pay for the 'privilege' of their name appearing in print. It is not surprising therefore that the biographies are quite brief and one sided. Not every person of note is listed so this list should not be regarded as a definitive list of the so called 'Great and the Good' of our local area but merely a self selected sample.


Index

Click on the name to jump to the relevant entry
[Content]

ASTON, Alfred Withall
BAINBRIDGE-BELL, Waldegrave Dent
BELL, John Herbert
BELL, Theodore
BRAITHWAITE, Basil
BRIDGES, John Henry
BROOKS, Herbert
COATES, Edward Feetham
COLBORNE, Francis
COLEMAN, John
COLTART, William Wilson
FARMER, Captain William Robert Gamul
GODFREY, Tom
HUNTER, Archer George
JAY, Edwin Burberry
LANGLANDS, Walter Gerald
LEMPRIERE, Arthur Reid
MANTELL, John
NORTHEY, Edward William
PEACOCK, Henry Maurice
REICHARDT, Ernest Noel
RENDALL, Percy
ROSEBERY, The Fifth Earl of
SKILTON, Thomas
THORNELY, William
WALTERS, William Melmoth
WARREN, Arthur John
WILLIS, Henry
WILSON, Edmund Garratt

Content


Alfred Withall ASTON

Woodcote Grove, Epsom

Alfred Withall ASTON

Youngest son of Benjamin Richard Aston, barrister-at-law, and of the Ecclesiastical Commission; born March 20th, 1852; educated privately. Member of the London Stock Exchange since 1873; senior partner in the firm of Hensley and Aston; member for the last twenty years of the Stock Exchange Benevolent Committee; is a Warden of the Skinners' Company; has taken an active past in all local and county affairs, and has been Chairman of the Epsom Urban District Council for two years, during which time he secured a perpetual supply of water for the town; for twenty years Churchwarden of Christ Church, Epsom; contested unsuccessfully the Epsom Division of Surrey at the General Election of 1906, polling 6221 votes; is Vice-President of the Railway Benevolent Institution; of the Orphan Working School, and many other institutions. Married Frances Amy, youngest daughter of R.G. Hennell, of Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, and sister of Colonel Sir Reginald Hennell, D.S.O., and has issue three children: Dorothy, married, 1900, Francis Joshua Wortley; Harold Withall, educated at Eton and at Christ Church, Oxford, Lieutenant Surrey (Princess of Wales's) Yeomanry; and May Primrose, born 1895.

Woodcote Grove, Epsom
Woodcote Grove, Epsom
According to John Toland, in his "Letter to Eudoxa," publoshed in 1726, this mansion is the original Mount Diston, so called from Josiah Diston, an early Governer of the Bank of England, who built it in the reign of Charles II., circa 1680. Its present occupant, Mr. A.W. Aston, has much altered the house. In the hall still hangs a portrait of Charles II, by Lely,where it was placed about 1680, and there exists also in the hall the fireplace where, it is recorded, Charles II cooked food. The walls are of brick and are 5ft.6in. thick.

The Avenue, Woodcote Grove, Epsom
The Avenue, Woodcote Grove, Epsom

Back to the index


Rev. Waldegrave Dent BAINBRIDGE-BELL, M.A.

The Vicarage, Epsom

Rev. Waldegrave Dent BAINBRIDGE-BELL

Son of the Rev. Charles D. Bell, D.D., late Rector of Cheltenham, and Hon. Canon of Carlisle; born in 1862; educated at Repton School, and Pembroke College, Cambridge: B.A., 1884; M.A., 1889, Vicar of Epsom; first Curate of St. Peter's, Cheltenham, 1886-89, and of St. Michael, Chester Square, 1889-90; Resident Chaplain to the Bishop of Winchester, 1890-92; Vicar of Micheldever with East Stratton, Hants, 1891-97; Surrogate, Diocese of Winchester, 1898; Vicar of Thames Ditton, 1897-1904; Vicar of Epsom, 1904; Diocesan appointments: Hon. Missioner, and Hon. Diocesan Inspector of Schools; author of "Repentance and Perseverance" (Skeffingtons). Married Ethel Labouchere, daughter of the late Rev. G.W. Hillyer, Vicar of Coldharbour, Surrey.

Back to the index


John Herbert BELL

Quarry House, Epsom

John Herbert BELL

Son of William Bell, J.P., of Cheshire, and Helen Hilaire Barbara, eldest daughter of the late Major-General Arthur Butcher, R.M.L.I.; born May 4th, 1870; educated at Rossall, and Selwyn College, Cambridge; B.A. Classical Tripos. Member of the firm of Theodore Bell and Company, solicitors, of Epsom, and Salters' Hall Court, E.C.; Secretary of Epsom Conservative Association; Hon. Secretary Epsom Technical Institute and School of Art. Married, August 27th, 1903, Nona Capel Lofft, daughter of the late Rev. Hubert Ashton Holden, LL.D., by Laetitia, daughter of Robert Emlyn Lofft, of Troston Hall, Suffolk, and has issue one son, Arthur Capel Herbert, born September 18th, 1904.

Back to the index


Theodore BELL

Downside, Epsom

Theodore BELL

Son of the late John Bell, of Uppingham; born at Uppingham, July 30th, 1840; educated at Uppingham School. Solicitor, Epsom, and London; Clerk to Justices, Epsom Division, and to Commissioners of Taxes, since 1875; Vestry Clerk; County School Clerk, and Correspondent of Voluntary Schools. Married Edith younger daughter of the late Rev, William de Lancy West, D.D., head-master, Epsom College, 1870 to 1885.

Back to the index


Basil BRAITHWAITE, J.P.

Hookfield, Epsom

Basil BRAITHWAITE

Son of Isaac Braithwaite, of Hookfield, Epsom; born in London, February 11th, 1845; educated at Rugby. Justice of the Peace for Surrey; Guardian of the Poor for Epsom Union; School Manager, etc.; formerly a partner in the firm of Brown, Janson and Company, bankers, London (now merged into Lloyds' Bank). Married, in 1872, Rosamond Augusta, daughter of the late A.W. Gadesden, of Ewell Castle, Surrey. Clubs : Conservative, and National.

Hookfield, Epsom
Hookfield, Epsom
Hookfield is situated on rising ground known as West Hill, close to Epsom: it looks across "The Durdans" to the Downs, and is built near the site of the old Hookfield Grove, which was pulled down fifty years ago.



A longer biography

A considerable landowner in Westmoreland, and the head of one of that County's old families, Basil Braithwaite, Esq., D.L., J.P., is the only surviving some of the late Isaac Braithwaite, Esq., of Hookfield, Epsom, who died in 1890, and his wife Louisa, daughter of the late John Masterman, Esq., M.P. for the City of London.

Born in London on February 11th, 1845, Mr. Braithwaite was educated at Rugby, and entered on a financial career, being admitted subsequently to partnership in the private banking firm of Brown, Janson & Co., since merged into Lloyd's Banking Company, and in 1872 married Rosamond Augusta, daughter of the late Augustus William Gaddesden, Esq., D.L., J.P., of Ewell Castle, Surrey.

Mr. Braithwaite resides at Hookfield, Epsom, and takes his full share of the public work in the neighbourhood. Since 1896, he has served Surrey as a Justice of the Peace, in which capacity he is in constant attendance at the Epsom Petty Sessions, and is responsible for the greater part of the occasional work as well. The site now occupied by the Epsom Technical Institute was presented to the District by him as one of the original founders, and he is among the first to provide allotment gardens for Epsom. He was a member of the Epsom Board of Guardians for fifteen years, and has filled the office of Chairman since 1907.

Mr. Braithwaite also holds a similar position in regard to the Surrey Council Schools in that town, and was 'pricked' for the Shrievalty of the County for the year 1908-9.

Keenly interested in political matters, he has rendered service to the Conservative Cause in the Epsom and Ewell districts by lucid exposition of the aims of Tariff Reform, Imperialism and other subjects of national importance.

Mr. Braithwaite is an active supporter of the Territorial Movement, a member of the Surrey Territorial Association and Chairman of the Local Recruiting Committee. He is also a member of the 'Veterans', or National Reserve Committee at Epsom, and Chairman of the Scouts' Association.

Much interested in literature, he is author of Essays on a wide range of subjects, among them being papers on Banking, Architecture and Shakespeare; and the fact that he has been elected twice as President of the Surrey Agricultural Association, speaks for itself.

Mr. Braithwaite finds his chief recreations in riding, walking and sailing, and he is a member of the Conservative, National and City Clubs.

In the Garden, Hookfield, Epsom
In the Garden, Hookfield, Epsom

Back to the index


John Henry BRIDGES, M.A., J.P.

Ewell Court and Langshott, Horley and of Fedderate, Aberdeenshire

John Henry BRIDGES

Son of Rev. A.H. Bridges, Rector of Beddington, Surrey, and Hon. Canon of Winchester, and grandson of Sir Henry Bridges, of Beddington, D.L, etc., born at Horsham, Sussex, March 26th, 1852; educated at Winchester (1865-71), and Oriel College, Oxford (1871-75); M.A., 1882. Lord of the Manor, and Patron of the Living, of Beddington; a well known breeder of Aberdeen-Angus cattle, his herd at Langshott, Horley, was founded in 1876, and is the oldest of Aberdeen-Angus cattle in England; President, 1905-07, of Polled Cattle (Aberdeen-Angus) Society; has held a Commission in Middlesex Yeomanry Cavalry, and is a member of the Royal Company of Archers, King's Bodyguard for Scotland; Justice of the Peace for Surrey and co. Aberdeen; has been Chairman of Ewell Parish Council, and has served on Epsom Rural District Council; was for ten years Churchwarden of Ewell, and has been Hon. Secretary of Council for All Saints', Ewell, since the Dedication of that church in 1894; is a Vice-President of Royal Female Orphan Asylum, Beddington; was Captain of the Oxford University Association Football Eleven in 1874, and played in the team that won the Association Challenge Cup in 1873; has represented Surrey at Cricket; was four years in Winchester Eleven; Captain for two years of Oriel College Eleven and for many years played regularly for Beddington, and after 1880 for Ewell; won the Open Championship at Archery in 1905; now President of Beddington Park Archery and Lawn Tennis Society, Beddington Cricket Club, Wallington Hockey Club, Horley Football Club, etc. Married Edith Isabella, youngest child of Henry Tritton, banker, of 54, Lombard Street, and Beddington, Surrey, and has issue nine children; eldest son, Alexander Henry, Lieutenant, Z Battery, Royal Horse Artillery; second son, Henry Dalrymple, Lieutenant, Royal Navy; third son, Edgar James, Lieutenant, 14th Hussars. Clubs: United University, and Constitutional.

Webmaster's note: Please see our separate page on the history of Ewell Court House

Back to the index


Herbert BROOKS, J.P.

WOODCOTE PARK, EPSOM

Son of Robert Brooks, Esq., was born in 1842. He was educated at Harrow, and in 1874 married Alice, daughter of the Rev. Richard Buller.

Mr. Brooks is J.P. for the County of Surrey. During the year 1910 he was High Sheriff of the county of London, and he is one of His Majesty's Lieutenants for the City.

His Estate of Woodcote Park, near Epsom, originally formed part of the Manor of Horton, which at the beginning of the 15th century belonged to the Abbot and Convent of Chertsey. It consists of a spacious house supposed to have been rebuilt by Richard Evelyn in the 17th century, and of 338 acres of arable and woodland. This Richard Evelyn married in 1648, Elizabeth Mynne, who, with her sister Anne, was co-heiress to their father's Estates of Woodcote and Horton.

The chief features of interest within the house are the painted ceilings and panellings. There is a magnificent Painted Gallery containing twelve large and fourteen small wooden panels which were painted in oils from designs executed by Philip, Duke of Orleans, when he was regent of France during the minority of Louis XV.

The larger of the two communicating Drawing Rooms has a ceiling beautifully painted by Antonio Verrio who came to England during the reign of Charles II., the subject being, "A Sacrifice to Diana". The centre panel is the work of a later Italian artist. The ceiling by Zucharelli in the smaller Drawing Room is scarcely less exquisite than the larger work.

Peter Paul Rubens is the artist of the central panel in the Library ceiling, which room also contains a five carved wood mantel by Grinling Gibbons.

The well-tended grounds are exceedingly rich in timber and include fine specimens of the oak, beech, chestnut, ash, fir, and cedar. There is a large rhododendron shrubbery and there are many pleasant woodland walks.

Extensive views are obtained from the house and grounds, in one direction over Epsom Downs, which adjoin the Estate.

Woodcote is within two miles of the old market town of Epsom which in the latter part of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th vied with Tunbridge Wells as a fashionable resort, its popularity arising from the discovery, in 1618, of Epsom Well, the waters of which attracted folk from far and near. It was patronised by Royalty, Charles II. and James II., being frequent visitors, and Pepys in his Diary records his sojourns in the neighbourhood.

With the introduction of sea-bathing about 1753, Epsom's popularity as a watering-place began rapidly to decline.


Webmaster's note: Please see our separate page on the history of Woodcote Park

Fireplace in the Library

The Bailiff's House

The Carriage Drive

The Drawing Room

The Hall

The Lodge

One of the Ceilings

The Morning Room

Views from the East Front

Back to the index


Major Edward Feetham COATES, M.P., J.P., D.L.

Tayles Hill, Ewell, Surrey, and Helperby Hall, York

Edward Feetham COATES

Eldest son of the late James Coates, J.P., D.L., of Helperby Hall, Yorks, and Elizabeth, only daughter of William Sayer, Yarm, York; born at Clapham, February 28th, 1853; educated at Marlborough College. Alderman and Chairman, Surrey County Council; Member of Parliament for Lewisham since 1603; contested Elland Division, Yorks, 1900; Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant for Surrey; Justice of the Peace for the North Riding of Yorkshire; one of his Majesty's Lieutenants for the city of London, 1900; on roll for High Sheriff, Surrey, 1906; late 3rd Batt. (Duke of Wellington's) West Riding Regiment; patron of the living of Burton Agnes, Yorkshire; was in Marlborough College Rifle Team at Wimbledon, second for Spencer Cup in 1868; a collector of old prints and pictures. Recreations: yachting, shooting, hunting and coaching; Rear-Commodore, Royal Southern Yacht Club; for five years drove the Hertford coach. "The Old Telegraph". Married, in 1878, Edith, eldest daughter of Captain Phillip Woolley, of Gravenhurst, Sussex, and has issue one son, Captain Edward Clive, 15th Hussars, A.D.C., to the Earl of Aberdeen, Viceroy of Ireland, married, 1906, Lady Celia Crewe-Milnes, second daughter of the Earl of Crewe, Lord President of the Council; and one daughter, Dorothy Anne. Clubs: Royal Yacht Squadron, Carlton, Junior United Service, Wellington, and Yorkshire.

Tayles Hill, Ewell
Tayles Hill, Ewell

Back to the index


Lieut.-Colonel The Hon. Francis L.L. COLBORNE

Nonsuch Park, Cheam

Heir Presumptive to the Barony of Seaton, and second son of the late James, second holder of that title, by his wife, the Hon. Francis Lydstone Colborne was born on July 29th, 1855, and educated at Winchester, Oxford University and Sandhurst.

From 1879, when he took the field with the Sciude Field Force, until 1886, when he served with the Soudan Field Force, Colonel Colborne was on almost constant active service. He bore his share in the Relief of Kandahar in 1880, being transferred to the Natal Field Force in 1881, and for his services in connection with the Nile Expedition for the Relief of Khartoum in 1884-5 was brevetted Major and mentioned in despatches. Subsequently, with the outbreak of the Boer War, a further period of active service fell to his share in 1900.

Colonel Colborne has held the office of Exon of the King's Body Guard since 1892, his appointment as Equerry-in-Waiting to H.R.H. Princess Henry of Battenberg dating from six years later. He was on the North Irish District Staff in 1887, and the following year was transferred to the South Eastern District. In 1901, he was appointed Lieut.-Colonel commanding the 8th Battalion of the City of London Rifle Brigade, and seven years later was made an Hon. Colonel.

From his marriage on April 30th, 1906, with Alice Matilda Mary, daughter and heir of the late Captain William Robert Gamul Farmer, D.L., J.P., of Nonsuch Park and Denham Hall, Suffolk, formerly of the Grenadier Guards, dates his connection with Surrey.

The present mansion is a modern building, within the parish of Cuddington, bearing the ancient name, and standing some little distance from the site of Henry VIII.'s old Palace of Nonsuch, which, according to Camden was built "with so much splendour and elegance that it stood a monument of art", and was demolished by Barbara, Duchess of Cleveland in the time of Charles II., to meet her pecuniary difficulties. Here Henry VIII, had enclosed two parks, one, termed Little Park, wherein the Palace was situated, and the other, the Great, or Worcester Park, in which he built Worcester House. Queen Elizabeth was a frequent visitor at Nonsuch, and it was much favoured by James I. and his son, Charles I., for hunting.

Nonsuch Park of today is pleasingly situated within a small, but well timbered park, the house being a fine specimen of the Elizabethan style of architecture, with embattled parapets, erected from the designs of St Jeffrey Wyattville.

Colonel Colborne has the Order Merito Militar of Spain. His town residences are Friary Court, St. James' Palace, S.W., and 45, Wilton Crescent, S.W., and he is a member of the Wellington, Bachelors' and Carlton Clubs.


Back to the index


John COLEMAN

The Farm, Epsom, and 44, Newington Causeway, S.E.

John COLEMAN

Son of William Coleman, veterinary surgeon; born at Sutton in 1861; educated privately; studied at the Royal Veterinary College in Edinburgh; took is diploma of M.R.C.V.S. at the Royal Veterinary College, London. Commenced to practise immediately afterwards; for many years was assistant to his brother, who had much of the work of the London City Corporation, as well as of the Great Eastern Railway; has a large professional sporting connection at Newmarket, Cheshire, and various other parts of the country; has owned a large number of high class racehorses, chiefly jumpers, and won many races riding for himself; his chief hobby has been show jumping, and with his grey horse, "Fearless", he has ridden over 300 firsts, and with his grey mare, "White Rose", more than 200 firsts; has had many notable horses in his charge, including "Jardy", "Cicero", "Vedas", and "Black Arrow", while he has had as many as fifty thoroughbreds for treatment in his infirmary.

Back to the index


William Wilson COLTART

Ashley Road, Epsom

William Wilson COLTART

Son of the late Joseph Coltart, merchant, of Liverpool, and The Grange, Ruthin, North Wales; born at Liverpool, May 30th, 1849; educated at Ruthin Grammar School, and St. George's Hospital, L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Senior partner of Coltart, Daniel and Thornely, Epsom; Medical Officer to Epsom College, and Epsom Workhouse and district; Senior Surgeon to Epsom and Ewell Cottage Hospital; Factory Surgeon; in 1872 was Surgeon to the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, ss. "Garonne", to South America; commenced practice in Epsom in 1873, joining the firm of Messrs. Stilwell and Daniel. Married Nina, daughter of the late Dr. Romer of Ceylon, and has issue five sons and two daughters; Harry N., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., in practice at Assam, and Guy H., M.B.Lond., in practice at Fulham.

Back to the index


Captain William Robert Gamul FARMER. J.P., D.L.

Nonsuch Park, Cheam, and 45 Wilton Crescent, S.W.

William Robert Gamul FARMER

Eldest son of the late W.F.G. Farmer, J.P., D.L., of Nonsuch Park, Cheam (who died 1860); born July 12th 1838. Alderman, Surrey County Council; J.P. and D.L., county of Surrey; High Sheriff, 1897; formerly Captain Grenadier Guards. Married, July 20th, 1861, Charlotte Maria, second daughter of the late Captain Robert Griffith Williams, brother of Sir Richard B. Williams-Bulkeley, 10th Baronet, of Baron Hill, Beaumaris, Anglesey, and has one daughter, Alice Matilda Mary (see entry for Lieut.-Colonel The Hon. Francis L.L. COLBORNE). Club: Carlton.

Back to the index


Tom GODFREY

Gibraltar House, Epsom

Tom GODFREY

Son of Dr. Frank Godfrey, Sea View, Isle of Wight; born at New Mole, Gibraltar, on board the "Owen Glendower"; educated at University College, London, and in Hanover, Germany, and at Guy's Hospital; L.D.S.R.C.S. Eng. Dental Surgeon to Dr. Barnardo's Home, Epsom, Epsom Cottage Hospital, and Epsom College; Trumpet-Major Surrey (Princess of Wales's) Imperial Yeomanry, and late Corporal Bugler London Rifle Brigade; Bugler Artists' Corps, 20th Middlesex; Corporal Trumpeter Hampshire Carabineers; winner Martin D. Rucker's Cup, Epsom; fond of amateur theatricals. Clubs : Epsom, Primrose, Wyndham Dramatic, and Phoenix Dramatic.

Back to the index


Rev. Archer George HUNTER, M.A.

Christ Church Vicarage, Epsom

Rev. Archer George HUNTER

Son of the late Richard Hunter, solicitor, Lincoln's Inn, and Wimbledon; born in London, November 12th, 1850; educated at Marlborough, Trinity College, Cambridge, and Cuddesdon Theological College; M.A. Curate, Beddington, 1874-77, and St. Michael's, Camden Town, 1877-81; Vicar of Christ Church, Epsom, since 1881; Hon. Canon, Winchester Cathedral; Rural Dean, Leatherhead; Surrogate, Surrey; member of Epsom Board of Guardians. Recreations: cycling, and foreign travel. Married, in 1881, Marianne, daughter of the late Frederick Bray, Regent's Park, and has issue one son, Archer Richard, and two daughters, Dorothy and Phyllis.

Please click on this link for more information on Rev. Archer Hunter.

Back to the index


Edwin Burberry JAY

Holmsdale, College Road, Epsom

Edwin Burberry JAY

Son of the late Henry Jay, Cobham, Surrey. Member of Surrey County Council for Epsom Division for twelve years; member of the Highways Committee, Executive Committee, and Netherne Asylum Committee; for twenty-eight years member of the Board of Guardians; a member of the Epsom Rural District Council since its inception; Chairman for two years (1900-02), during which time he inaugurated bye-laws and standing orders for the Council; for twenty-four years a member of the old local Board (four years Chairman), and of Epsom Urban District Council; Chairman of the Technical Institute; Governor of Wye College; member of the Executive Council, and Hon. Local Secretary of the Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution; has been very successful in getting pensioners elected annually; Vice-President of the Surrey Agricultural Association, and Chairman of Committee; pioneer in Epsom of the Allotment Act, letting several acres of his best land and giving prizes for best cultivated plots; a "yeoman", and successful cultivator of land in Walton-on-Hill and Headley, 1870-83, and in Chessington, Ewell, and Epsom, 1883-1904; has taken a prominent part in preserving public rights on Epsom Downs; for eight years was Churchwarden of St. Martin's, Epsom Parish Church. Recreations : shooting and cricket; patronises all sports. Married Jane, daughter of Alfred Smart; she died February 15th, 1903, leaving issue one son, Alfred, and one daughter, Florence Maud. Club : Farmers' and Dairy.

Back to the index


Walter Gerald LANGLANDS

Hazon House, West Hill, Epsom

Walter Gerald LANGLANDS

Son of Charles John Langlands, auctioneer, of a well known land owning family in Epsom since 1798; born at Epsom in 1862; educated at Epsom College. Articled to Ventom, Bull and Cooper, of 35 Old Jewry, E.C., and commenced to practise as an auctioneer in Epsom in 1884; a Fellow of the Auctioneer' Institute, 1898; was Chairman of the Urban District Council, 1902-04; Vice-Chairman, 1905-06; and re-elected Chairman in 1906; joint proprietor of the Langlands stands at Epsom Downs; a Freemason, P.M. of the Ebbisham Lodge, No.2422; P.M. of the Constitutional, No. 55; P.Z. of the Royal York Chapter, No. 7; and a member of the Ionic Lodge, No. 227. Recreations : hunting; owner of several successful racehorses. Married Rosalie Florence Pulleyn, of Clapham, and has issue two sons, Charles John and Cecil Walter. Club : Sports'.

Hazon House
Hazon House, Epsom
Built in 1837, but the stabling and outbuildings date back to about 1730. The house has been added to of late years, and commands fine views of the surrounding country. It is constructed of brick, and is almost entirely creeper-clad.

Back to the index


Major-General Arthur Reid LEMPRIERE, J.P

Collingwood Mount, Camberley

Major-General Arthur Reid LEMPRIERE

Son of the late Captain W.C. Lempriere, R.H.A., and J.P., for Surrey; born At Ewell in 1835; educated at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. Officer, Royal Engineers; was Military Secretary to Lieut.-General C.C. Hay, Commanding the troops at the Cape; Military Secretary to Field-Marshal Lord Napier of Magdala at Gibraltar, 1876-82; served in Heligoland, British Columbia, Mediterranean and Cape; Justice of the Peace for Surrey and Hants; Deputy Chairman of House Committee, Holloway Sanatorium; Chairman of House Committee, Royal Albert Orphan Asylum. Married, firstly, in 1861; Annie Hawkshow, second daughter of the late W.A. Gardner, of Newnham, Tasmania; she died 1862; secondly, in 1864, Ellen Marion, daughter of the late Lieut.-General C.C. Hay, Insp.-General of Musketry, Hythe, Kent; she died 1898; and thirdly, 1904, Agnes Henrietta, fourth daughter of the late George Reid and granddaughter of the late Sir Thomas R. Reid, Bart., of Ewell Grove, Surrey. Club : Windham, St. James's Square.


Back to the index


John MANTELL

Howell Hill Lodge, Ewell

John MANTELL

Son of the late Charles John Mantell; born at Yardley, Warwickshire, May 26th, 1849; educated privately. In business as a goldsmith in the Strand, W.C.; descended from Dr. Mantell, the great geologist; Member and on the Court of the Broderers' Company. Recreation: amateur gardening. Married Julia, daughter of the late George Stenhouse, of Huntingdon, and has issue one son, John Heathcote, and two daughters, Gertrude Hannah and Marion. Club: Constitutional.

Howell Hill Lodge, Ewell
Howell Hill Lodge, Ewell
Howell Hill Lodge is the property of Dr. Bell, of Brighton, who built it and designed the garden about forty years ago. It has been held on lease by Mr Mantell for some years.

Back to the index


Rev. Edward William NORTHEY, M.A., J.P.

Woodcote House, Epsom

Edward William NORTHEY

Eldest son of the late E.R. Northey, J.P., D.L., Woodcote House, who died 1878; born in 1832; educated at Eton, and Corpus Christi College, Oxford; B.A., 1855; M.A., 1858. Ordained Deacon, 1856, Priest, 1857, by the Bishop of Lichfield; Vicar of Chaddesden, Derby, 1872-79; Lord of the Manors of Cheam, Ewell and Cuddington, and joint Lord of the Manor of Box, Wilts; Justice of the Peace for the county of Surrey; Chairman of the Epsom Public Elementary School Managers; member of Epsom Board of Guardians; late Alderman Surrey County Council; President of Epsom Town Club, Epsom Cricket Club, and Epsom Choral and Orchestral Society; Commissioner of Taxes. Married, in 1867, Florence Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Honywood, 6th Baronet, and has three surviving sons: Edward, Major King's Royal Rifle Corps, served in the Hazara, Miranzai and Is-zai Expeditions, 1891-92; was in Ladysmith during the siege, and mentioned in Dispatches; William, D.S.O., Captain Durham Light Infantry, who served on the Staff in the Boer war, 1899-1902, and was mentioned in Dispatches; Francis Vernon, and five daughters. Club : Constitutional.

Back to the index


Henry Maurice PEACOCK

High Street, Epsom

Son of Dr. William Francis Peacock (retired), late of Hertford Street, Mayfair; born in London; educated at King's College School, London, and Tonbridge, Grammar School; took his qualification, L.D.S.R.C.S. Eng., at Guy's Hospital. After obtaining experience in the provinces, started practice on his own behalf at High Street, Epsom, and Ashtead. Recreations : athletic sports generally, especially tennis; is much interested in historical and scientific subjects, and has lectured before the Epsom Literary and Scientific Society.

Back to the index


Ernest Noel REICHARDT, M.D.

Dorset House, Ewell

Ernest Noel REICHARDT

Son of the late Rev. Henry Reichardt; born October 20th, 1865; educated at King's College, and at St. Bartholomew's Hospital; M.D., London University; Entrance Science Scholarship, 1884. Married, in 1893, Mary, daughter of Dr. Atkins, Chalk-Pit House, Sutton. Club : Automobile.

For a longer biography on Dr Reichardt click here

Back to the index


Percy RENDALL, M.D.

Old Manor House, Epsom

Percy RENDALL

Son of John Rendall, M.A., Fellow of Exeter College, Oxford, barrister-at-law, member of Inner Temple; born at 16, Hanover Terrace, London, W., July 26th, 1861; educated at Repton, King's College, London, and St. Bartholomew's Hospital; L.S.A.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng., M.D.Brux. Acting Colonial Surgeon, Gambia, W.C.A., Acting District Surgeon, Barberton District, S.A. Republic; P.M.O., British Central Africa Protectorate, Nyassaland; Fellow of the Zoological Society, London (by election); Hon. Surgeon to Epsom and Ewell Cottage Hospital; for ten years travelled in various parts of the world, Africa, India, West Indies, China, Japan, etc., collecting natural history specimens and shooting big game. Married, June 1st, 1899, Edith, daughter of Edward Watson.

Back to the index


The Right Hon. The Earl of ROSEBERY, 5th Earl
(Archibald Philip PRIMROSE), K.G., K.T., P.C., J.P.

The Durdans, Epsom, Dalmeny Park, Edinburgh; Mentmore,
Leighton Buzzard; and 38, Berkeley Square, London, W.


Archibald Philip PRIMROSE

Son of Lord Archibald Dalmeny, M.P.; born May 7th, 1847; succeeded his grandfather, the 4th Earl of Rosebery, in 1868; Lord Lieutenant of Linlithgowshire since 1873, and Midlothian since 1884; Hon. Colonel 8th Battalion Royal Scots since 1874; member of the Council on Education, Scotland, since 1881; Trustee of the Imperial Institute; Commissioner on Scottish Endowments, 1872; Rector of Aberdeen University, 1878-81; Edinburgh University, 1882-83; Under Secretary for Home Office, 1881-83; Lord Privy Seal, 1885; Chief Commissioner of Works 1885; Secretary of Foreign Affairs, 1886 and 1892-94; Chairman of London County Council, 1889-90, and 1892; Hon. Student of Christ Church, Oxford, 1894; Prime Minister and Lord President of Council 1894-95; Lord Rector of Glasgow University, 1899; author of "Sir Robert Peel", 1899; "Napoleon", 1900; and other works. Married, in 1878, Hannah, eldest daughter and heiress of Baron Meyer de Rothschild, of Mentmore, Berkshire; she died in 1900; heir: Lord Dalmeny. Clubs : Athenaeum, Brooks's and City Liberal.



A longer biography

The Right hon. The Earl of Rosebery and Midlothian.
K.G. K.C., P.C., L.L.D., F.R.S., F.B.A., F.S.A., J.P.

Among the list of Coronation Honours an Earldom of the United Kingdom by style and title of Earl of Midlothian was conferred upon Lord Rosebery, who has taken his seat in the House of Lords hitherto as Baron Rosebery, of Rosebery, Edinburgh, in the United Kingdom, for his title of Earl of Rosebery is Scottish only.

Sir Archibald Philip Primrose, the 5th Earl of Rosebery and 1st Earl of Midlothian ranks also as Viscount Rosebery and Viscount Inverkeithing, and Baron Primrose and Dalmeny in Scotland, the oldest of his titles being that of Baronet of Nova Scotia, which was bestowed in 1651 on his distinguished ancestor, that faithful royalist, Sir Archibald Primrose, Clerk to the Privy Council of Charles I., whose father, James Primrose, a noted lawyer, held the like office under James I., for upwards of forty years. And, after the Restoration, Sir Archibald was made a lord of the Session and given the honary title of Lord Carrington.

The family surname is taken from the lands of Primrose in Fifeshire, and the great-grandfather of Sir Archibald Primrose, the 1st Bt., Duncan Primrose, was seated at Culross in Perthshire in the reign of Queen Mary.

Born on May 7th, 1847, Lord Rosebery, to give him his more familiar title, is the elder son of Archibald, Lord Dalmeny, who died in 1851, by his wife, the Lady Catherine Lucy Wilhelmina, the only daughter of Philip Henry, 4th Earl Stanhope. Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, afforded his lordship his education, and in 1868, he succeeded his grandfather, Archibald John, 4th Earl of Rosebery.

His lordship has filled many high offices in the service of the State, including those of Under Secretary of the Home Department from 1881 to 1883, and and Lord Privy Seal and Chief Commissioner of Works in 1885. Ten years later saw him Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Lord President of the Council, having previously held office as Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs in 1886, and again from 1892 to 1894.

By his marriage on March 20th, 1878, with Hannah, the only daughter of the late Baron Mayer de Rothschild, of Mentmore, in Buckinghamshire, Lord Rosebery has with two daughters, two sons, the elder, his heir, Albert Edward Mayer Archibald, Lord Dalmeny, sat for Edinburghshire in Parliament from 1906 to 1910, and married Dorothy Alice Margaret Augusta, the daughter of Lord Henry George Grosvenor.

The second son, the Hon. Neil Primrose has also adopted a political career, and sits as Liberal Member for Wisbech.

The death of Lady Rosebery occurred in 1890.

His lordship's town residence is 38, Berkeley Square, W., The Durdans, near Epsom, and Dalmeny Park near Edinburgh are others of his well-known seats, in addition to Mentmore.

Webmaster's note: Please see our separate page on the history of The Durdans and another biography of Lord Rosebery

Back to the index


Thomas SKILTON

High Street, Epsom

Thomas SKILTON

Son of Thomas Skilton, of Ashtead; born at Ashtead, in 1857; educated privately, and at the Royal Veterinary College, obtaining his diploma of M.R.C.V.S. in 1880; has been practising as a Veterinary Surgeon to the Urban District and the Rural Councils of Epsom, besides doing a good deal of work in connection with local racing studs. Is married, and has issue four daughters.

Back to the index


William THORNELY, M.A.

Old Bank House, Epsom

William THORNELY

Son of the late James Thornely, solicitor, of Liverpool; born at Liverpool, May 19th, 1869; educated at Charterhouse School, Clare College, Cambridge, and St. Thomas's Hospital; M.A., M.B., B.C.Cantab.; M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. Partner in the firm of Coltart, Daniel, and Thornely; Deputy Medical Officer, Epsom Union Workhouse; late House Surgeon, Children's Infirmary, Liverpool. Married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of the late Robert Joseph Birdsworth Smart, R.N., of Cranbourne, Dorset, and has issue one son, William Wake, and one daughter, Grace.

Back to the index


William Melmoth WALTERS

Purberry Shot, Ewell

William Melmoth WALTERS

Son of the late John Eldad Walters, of Ewell, and Lincoln's Inn, a member of an old Somersetshire family; born at 4, Orme Square, Bayswater, January 28th, 1835; educated under a private tutor, and afterwards at a school in Bayswater, then at King's College, London. Articled in 1852; pupil to the late Joshua Williams, Q.C., then eminent conveyancer, and the late T.K. Kingdon, Q.C.; admitted solicitor in Michaelmas, 1857, having taken second place in examination; has been for many years head of the firm of Walters and Company, 9, New Square, Lincoln's Inn, firm founded about 1780; member of Council and Past President of the Incorporated Law Society; Solicitor to the Law Life Assurance Society; Director of the Law Fire Insurance Society; Director of the Law Debenture Corporation, the Law Accident Insurance Society, and the Solicitors' Benevolent Association; member of the Solicitors' Discipline Committee, appointed under the Act of 1888, the Committee of Inspection of Trustee Savings Banks, appointed under the Savings Banks Act of 1891, the Committee of Proprietors of Lincoln's Inn, and of the Rule Making Committee under the Land Transfer Acts; in politics a Conservative, and late Chairman of Ewell, Cuddington and Malden Conservative Association. Recreations; fishing in Norway and Scotland, and shooting in Surrey; has travelled on the Continent frequently in earlier years, and visited the Cape, Tasmania and Australia, Madeira, Teneriffe, etc. Married July 17th, 1860, Marian Eleanor, daughter of the late Alfred Leggatt, of 13, William Street, Lowndes Square, and now deceased, and has issue six daughters and two sons, one at the Bar, and the other in partnership with his father.

Back to the index


Arthur John WARREN

The Cedars, Epsom

Arthur John WARREN

Son of J.N. Warren, M.Inst.C.E., Director, Scinde Railway; born at Kentish Town, London, June 19th, 1847; educated at Guildford (Preparatory and Grammar School), and King's College, London. Went to Java in sailing ship in 1869, residing there until 1902; British Vice-Consul (Mercantile) at Sourabaya and Samarang from 1880; retired from business (Java merchant) in 1902; settled in Epsom, 1904; appointed Vicar's Churchwarden, Parish Church of St. Martin, Epsom, 1905; elected on the Epsom Urban District Council, 1906. Married, in 1874, and has eight children living. Club : Thatched House.

The Cedars, Epsom
The Cedars, Epsom
An old print of Epsom, about 1710, shows the house standing at the head of a lane, now the Parade, running across fields from Epsom village from the Parish Church. Over a door at the back of the house grows a wisteria that is probably 200 years old. On the front porch, also on the drawing-room ornamentation, is a shield bearing the arms of John Myster, who lived here 1632-1719. Prior to present lease, this house was for fifty years a girls' school.

Back to the index


Henry WILLIS

Horton Lodge, Epsom

Henry WILLIS

Eldest son of the late Henry Willis, of Horton Lodge, Epsom; born at Sydenham, March 17th, 1841; educated privately. School Manager, Epsom National Schools; Churchwarden, Christ's Church, since 1878; Captain of the Epsom Cricket Club for many years; played for Surrey v Yorkshire in 1866. Married, in 1866, Emmeline, daughter of the late James Levick, of Hookfield, Epsom, having issue one son, Henry, member of the London Stock Exchange, and five daughters. Club : Windham, St. James's Square.

Horton Lodge, Epsom
Horton Lodge, Epsom
Horton Lodge stands on the high ground above Christ Church. A former house, the old manor, belonged to Charles Browning son of the Hon. Louisa Browning, who was the sister of Frederick, the last Lord Baltimore, who lived in the second half of the 18th century. It was sold by Lord Baltimore to Mr Monk, who disposed of it the following year to Mr Nelson. In 1777, Mr Nelson sold it to Mr. Arthur Cuthbert, and it was subsequently purchased by Mr John Trotter.

Back to the index


Edmund Garratt WILSON

Worton, Epsom

Edmund Garratt WILSON

Son of Ernest William Wilson, of Worton, Oxford; born at Worton in 1859; educated at Loughborough. Articled to Lovell, Son, and Pitfield, 3, Gray's Inn Square; admitted 1882; afterwards went to Dorchester as Managing Clerk to Symond and Son, then into private practice in London; for twenty years has been practising in Epsom, and is Clerk to the Epsom District Council and Burial Board; is a Perpetual Commissioner for Oaths; in addition to his public appointment has a private practice in Epsom; is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries; is a Freemason, Ebbisham Lodge, No. 2422, of which he is Secretary, and is Past Grand Registrar for Surrey, Recreations : in his early days was an accomplished gymnast, and is now devoted chiefly to motoring and amateur photography. Married Bella, daughter of George Barrack, of Epsom, and has issue Ernest Garratt, and Lena Gwendolen. Club : Local Conservative.

Back to the index




With grateful thanks to Shelia Walker for transcribing the above text.


 Art
 Family History
 Health
 Map
 Nature
 People
 Places
 Society
 Sources
 Technology
 Trade
 Transport
 War Memorials

 Contact
 Sitemap
 What's New
 Home

Email:


Donate to The History Centre
War Memorials
War Memorials
All Saints
All Saints
Dipping Well
Dipping Well
Ashley Road
Ashley Road
St Mary's Ewell
St Mary's Ewell
Sgt. Green and the Epsom Riot
Epsom Riot
Woodcote Camp
Woodcote Camp