THE BARNARDS OF EPSOM
PART 1 - TIMOTHY BARNARD AND FAMILY
The main character and his children
Timothy Barnard (c.1794-1871)
Market gardener, property owner, owner of interests in Epsom Racecourse and Hampton Races, general investor, married Mary Gaston. Her brother, John Gaston, was sometime landlord of The Spread Eagle. Later, John Gaston's daughter, Charlotte, ran The King's Head Inn with her husband, William Lumley.
Children of Timothy and Mary
- Harriet (1816-1900) married Charles Wood, baker and confectioner
- John Barnard (c.1818-94), businessman, property owner, owner of interests in Epsom and Kempton Park Racecourses and sometime landlord of The White Hart, married Lucy Giles.
- Mary Ann Barnard (c.1820-67) married Samuel Lucas, draper
- Sarah Barnard (1821-48) married Frederick Coxhead, licensed victualler. Her two sons were taken to New Zealand by Frederick and his second wife.
- James Barnard (1823-66) High Street butcher, married Catherine Hall
- William Barnard (1825-98), High Street baker and confectioner, married Elizabeth Lucock
- Ann Barnard (1828-74) married Joseph Maylin, fishmonger
- Emma Barnard (1829 -?) married (1) Henry Johnson, warehouseman (2) Julius Strassmann, silk importer
- Charlotte Barnard (c. 1832-1912) married Thomas Cramp, accountant
- Henry Barnard (c. 1833-59) unmarried
- Eliza Barnard (c.1835 - 1884) married Stephen Spicer Crutch, window and glass merchant
- Timothy (1837-69) unmarried, sometime landlord of The White Hart
- Edward (1838-1905), corn merchant and sometime bankrupt, married (1) Victoria Martin (2) Martha Broderick
- Charles (c. 1840-1913) unmarried, High Street corn merchant
After his wife Mary died Timothy had another eleven children by his mistress, Hannah Gittings
Timothy Barnard was born in Chertsey in about 1794 but his exact ancestry has so far proved elusive. It is not known when he went to Epsom, although there is evidence to suggest that the family had been there at some stage before 1815/16 when his first child was born.
He married Mary Gaston of Epsom on 14 September 1815 at St George's Church, Hanover Square in Mayfair, London. They had fifteen children over a twenty-five year period, all but one of whom survived infancy.
Timothy's sister, Mary, married Mary Gaston's brother, John, and he ran the 'Spread Eagle' Inn (on the corner of High Street and Ashley Road, now the Spread Eagle Walk shopping precinct) up to his death in 1833. John's wife had died in 1828 and another of Timothy's sisters, Charlotte, was keeping house for John at the 'Spread Eagle'. In the 1851 and 1861 censuses John's daughter, Charlotte, and her husband, William Henry Lumley, were running the 'King's Head
' Inn opposite the Clock Tower. William also trained racehorses.1
Charlotte Lumley died in 1861 and William then went to live with his brother-in-law, James Gaston, who kept the 'Station Hotel' in East Grinstead.
Information about Timothy's career first surfaced at the Surrey Assizes in 1822 when he was accused of stealing lead - a turret tower bell. It was subsequently found that the main witness had perjured himself out of animosity and Timothy was acquitted. This was the first of three appearances for him at the Assizes. In 1836 he was accused of riot and in 1840 of keeping a gaming booth. He was acquitted on those occasions too. 2
The earliest indication of his core occupation was in the 1841 census when he was living in High Street, Epsom, described simply as a gardener. He was actually a market gardener, seedsman and greengrocer at the time. His garden was in a 46 acre site of copyhold land in Epsom Common Fields, which were the chalk slopes in front of Epsom College, adjoining Woodcote Grove. In 1859 he purchased two detached plots of freehold land in the Common Fields for £128 (about £12,000 today). Certainly he was a man of some substance by then, since in 1828 he had been one of the original subscribers to the Epsom Grand Stand Association
('EGSA'). The share capital consisted of 1,000 shares at £20 each. He was heavily involved in the racecourse and in the 1860s took a lease on the old Judges Stand. There were also the Barnard's Stand, wrecked by high winds on Oaks Day 1877, and Barnard's Ring. He owned 24-26 The Parade (bought in 1866) and had nursery premises in East Street.
Joseph Ransley Tanton, whose daughter married Timothy's grandson (see below), was the tenant there.3
He died in 1878. In the 1881 to 1891 censuses Joseph's widow, Eliza, was carrying on business in East Street as a florist and seed merchant. In the 1901 and 1911 censuses her address was given as 'Childerplat' which was at 39 East Street (now a modern office building called 'Crossways'). She died in 1914. Joseph Ransley Tanton of Epsom Nurseries had been responsible for the landscaping of Epsom Cemetery
in the early 1870s.4
Timothy also had interests in Hampton Races, which were held on Molesey Hurst. Racing at Hampton was apparently 'a festival for the plebeian masses of London' and quite unlike Epsom and the Derby
. Accounts of the time describe it as more of a fair than a formal race meeting. The venue was closed down by the Jockey Club in 1887 as unfit for racing, but reopened in 1889 as Hurst Park on a more regularised footing.
Over the years Timothy accumulated a sizeable portfolio of properties. In the 1851 census he gave his occupation as market gardener and in 1861 he was described as a corn merchant, but in the background he was wheeling and dealing in building plots, shareholdings in joint stock banks, shops and houses.
His wife, Mary, died on 6 September 1851, aged 58, and from then on he ostensibly lived as a respectable widower in High Street, Epsom, with various of his children in residence. However, he was actually leading a secret life (although it can hardly have been a secret in the town, given the scale of it).
During the 1840s a family named Gittings had moved to Epsom from Griston in Norfolk. In the 1851 census John Gittings, a carpenter, was living with his wife Mary and son George at 16 Providence Row, Epsom. In 1861 the daughter, Hannah, born about 1832 in Griston, was living at the Garden House in East Street, described as a hotel keeper but she cannot be found in the 1851 census. On 1 September 1854 Hannah gave birth to a daughter, Mary. On 15 Jan 1856 another daughter, Sophia, was born and when Sophia married Percy Harris in 1903 she was calling herself Sophia Gittings Barnard and her father's name on the certificate was given as Timothy Barnard, market gardener. The marriage certificates of Hannah's children variously named their father as Edward Timothy Barnard, Timothy Barnard or Timothy Gittings (usually a market gardener), but there seems no real doubt that Timothy Barnard had set up Hannah in her own establishment and that her eleven children were fathered by, or at least attributed to, him. It appears from baptismal and burial records that in 1853 Hannah had already given birth to a son called James Collins in Ewell, the father being named as John Collins, labourer. The child died aged 4 months in that same year and it is presumed that she must have taken up with Timothy very shortly afterwards.
The last of Timothy's and Hannah's children was Timothy, born the year before his father's death and dying in the same year as his father, aged just one. In the 1871 census Hannah was living in East Street on her income from houses. At the time of her death in 1911, by which time she was living in Peckham and describing herself as 'Hannah Barnard, widow', she owned 46-48 East Street, described as two houses and shops (today it is known as Nightingale House). Neither these premises nor the name of Hannah Gittings appeared in Timothy Barnard's will, so it is presumed that he bought the property for her and conveyed it to her during his lifetime. Most of Hannah's seven surviving children used the surname Barnard once Timothy had died.
Timothy's and Mary's eldest daughter, Harriet (born 1816) married Charles Wood, who was a baker and confectioner in Epsom High Street. Their grandson, Charles Henry Piggott, was rector of Hurstpierpoint in Sussex from 1915 to 1926.
The next daughter, Mary Ann (born about 1820) married Samuel George Lucas, an assistant draper, who had been the Barnards' next door neighbour in 1841. Samuel died in 1856 and Mary then went as housekeeper to her brother Timothy, who was landlord of the 'White Hart' Inn in the High Street (Numbers 93-95, which are now shops). She died in 1867.
Grave of Timothy and Mary Barnard and their children Henry,
James, Mary and Timothy Junior in St Martin's churchyard.
Sarah Barnard was born on 19 June 1821 and on 26 April 1845 in Epsom she married Frederick Coxhead, born about 1820 in London (christened in Clerkenwell), a wine and spirit merchant and licensed victualler. His father, William, was apparently a publisher in Islington, who also had a business in New York City, (he died in Rochester, New York State in 1860). It seems that William had a second 'wife' in New York and, on finding out, Mrs Elizabeth Ann Coxhead of Islington went there to investigate. By this time wife Number 2 had left him and her family was on his case, so he allegedly fled, using the name of Barrowdale. Mrs Coxhead of Islington then divorced him in New York. Whether she realised it or not, this divorce was not recognised in England but she apparently went ahead and married a man called Charles Mansfield who kept a posting inn on the London to Brighton mail route. This may well have been the 'Cock Inn' which stood at the crossroads in Sutton High Street, as Frederick Coxhead was there in the 1841 census. Mrs Coxhead/Mansfield died in 1848, Charles Mansfield having predeceased her, whereupon it seems that William Coxhead turned up and claimed her estate, which he got. (Note: We have been unable to verify the story about William Coxhead from archival records, but note that William Coxhead did marry an Elizabeth Ann Bolden in 1814, Frederick gave his eldest son the middle name of Mansfield and an Elizabeth Ann Mansfield died in Epsom district in 1848.)
Sarah Barnard and Frederick Coxhead had two sons, Frederick Mansfield and Harry Coxhead. Sarah died in 1848, whereupon Frederick married a serving girl, Mercy Hall, in Brighton. In 1851 Frederick and family lived in Lower Thames Street, Billingsgate, London. This was the site of what was then the newly-built fish market and he was presumably slaking the workers' thirst. The family emigrated to Dunedin, New Zealand in 1857/8. One of Frederick's and Mercy's children, Frank Arnold Coxhead, became a well-known photographer in Dunedin and apparently emigrated to the United States towards the end of the 19th century. Their daughter Kate's son, Percy Cameron, was killed at Gallipoli in 1915.
Frederick Coxhead Senior probably died in 1868 and Mercy in 1892. Sarah Barnard's sons by Frederick were also in New Zealand. Harry had photographic studios in Otago. He married Mary Higgins in 1876 and they had several children. He died on 3 May 1885 in Timaru, aged 38, apparently from ascites.
Frederick Mansfield Coxhead married Suzina Garlan Mooney in 1876 but after having two children, she died in 1882, aged only 26. He then married an Eliza Torrens in 1883 and had two more children, one of whom was named Harry Barnard Coxhead. Frederick Mansfield Coxhead died in 1919.
Emma Barnard (born 20 Dec 1829) married Henry Johnson in 1858 in Newington district. He was a warehouseman and died in 1875. She then married in 1880 a much younger man, a Prussian importer of woollen, silk and cotton goods called Julius Strassmann. Julius went into business with Emma's son, Henry Sidney Johnson, trading at 1 Milton Buildings, Watling Street, City of London. The partnership of Strassmann, Johnson & Co, trimming manufacturers, was dissolved and Strassmann was made bankrupt5. He then disappeared off the scene and in the 1891 census Emma was living with her daughter, Alice, in Watford and describing herself as single. Alice was at that time married to a General Practitioner called Harry Tuck but in 1893 Harry divorced her on the grounds of her repeated adultery with a medical student named Edward Catliff. Alice and Edward subsequently married but it did not work out and Alice ended up living with her bachelor uncle, Charles Barnard, back in Epsom and was the beneficiary of his will. Emma Strassmann reverted to her previous surname of Johnson. Henry Barnard (born in 1833) died unmarried on 5 December 1859. He is buried in St Martin's Churchyard with his parents, his sister Mary Ann Lucas, and brothers, James and Timothy.
The White Hart Inn run by Timothy Barnard (Junior) in the mid 1800s
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum
As mentioned previously, Timothy Junior was landlord of the 'White Hart' Inn/Hotel for a time. This was a family business and Timothy Junior had taken it over from his eldest brother, John, who was landlord there in the 1851 census. Timothy Junior died in 1869, unmarried, aged 32.
James Barnard (born 14 February 1823) was a butcher. In 1851 he was living in High Street, Epsom with his wife Catherine (nee Hall) and his two young children. He died in 1866. Son, Fred, obviously had horse-racing aspirations, as is shown in this photograph. In fact he was a butcher too and by 1911 a night watchman, living in Sutton, Surrey. One of James's other sons, James Edward, became a racing official. In 1871 he had been a medical student, lodging with a young lady called Mary Ann Wyatt in Adelphi Road. By 1881 he had given up medicine to become a billiard marker, married Mary Ann and they were already the parents of six children.
William Barnard, born about 1825, was a confectioner in the High Street. An advertisement of 1860 speaks of 'Fancy Bread and Biscuit Baker' and he supplied catering for ball and route suppers and wedding breakfasts on the shortest notice. By the 1890s he was advertising that all his cakes were made by machinery and that he had storage room for upwards of 100 bicycles and tricycles.6
He was married to Elizabeth Lucock, daughter of a High Street poulterer. Before her marriage Mrs Beeton
had learned to make pastries at the Barnard establishment. William died a widower in 1898, probate of his estate being granted to his wife's niece and nephew, Louisa Kitchen and James Hailes, both of whom had worked for him for some years. James Hailes gave up being a confectioner and became a music teacher but Louisa continued with the confectionery business (which was also in 1901 a 'music repository') for a time, with William's daughter Louisa (known as 'Lissie'), eventually retiring to Croydon, where she died in 1935. Lissie went with her, dying in 1917.
Ann Barnard (born 23 Jan 1828) married Joseph Maylin, a fishmonger from Whitechapel. She died a widow in Dalston in 1874. Charlotte (born about 1832) married an accountant called Thomas Cramp from Ramsgate. They moved around over the years but ended up in Brighton where they died in 1912 and 1911 respectively. There were no children.
Edward Barnard (born 26 November 1838) was a corn merchant, apparently so successful that he had retired by 1871 and he does not seem to have worked again up to his death in 1905. This would imply that he was of independent means but he was for at least some of that time a bankrupt, declared as such in 1882. In 1886 he offered 5 shillings in the pound to his creditors. He had been left a share of his father's estate in 1871 but Timothy was a stickler for fairness as between the children and anyone who had been advanced money during his lifetime had that sum deducted from their inheritance. Edward was already £1,400 adrift when he came to inherit. The will shows that several of the children and/or their spouses had been advanced money against their inheritances. There is virtually no evidence to show that many of Timothy's children made their own way in the world, without major assistance from 'the Bank of Dad'.
Edward first married, in 1862, Victoria Martin, daughter of a licensed victualler, and they had two sons, Edward and William. Victoria died and in 1884 he married a woman from Derby called Martha Broderick. She died in 1906 and they are both buried in Epsom Cemetery. Martha had formerly been surnamed Clarke, daughter of the landlord of the 'White Hart' in the 1871 census. In 1873 she married Alfred Scott Broderick, an East India merchant from Ely, who lived in Ely Villa, Laburnum Road, Epsom. They had a daughter, Violette Susannah Martha, in 1875. In the 1881 census they were living in Greenwich and Alfred was a master stevedore. In January 1882 a case came up at the Old Bailey against Alfred Broderick for larceny with a co-partner. He had obviously been out on bail because the record7 states that the recognisances were cancelled because 'the prisoner had been proved to be dead'. His death was registered in 1882 in Epsom district. Violette, known as Susie, died in 1885, aged 10, and is buried in Epsom Cemetery.
Grave of Edward and Martha Barnard, Epsom Cemetery
In the 1881 census both of Edward's boys were at Surrey House School, Leatherhead. In 1885, Edward Junior, aged 21 and described as a 'gentleman', married 17 year old Charlotte Neave in London. That same year, they had a son called Victor Edward M Barnard. In 1889 Charlotte, still a minor at the time, began divorce proceedings against Edward, claiming that he had repeatedly committed adultery with at least two London prostitutes and had beaten her. However, she did not have the funds to continue and the petition lay on the court file until she revived it in 1909. At that stage the King's Proctor intervened, on the grounds that Charlotte had not declared that, while the divorce had been in limbo, she had committed repeated adultery with a bookmaker called Harry Hopkins and had borne two children by him. Her solicitors countered by saying that Edward Barnard had been a thief and fraudster who had served several terms of imprisonment, that he had left her penniless and was 'evil'. Harry Hopkins had offered her a home and paid for her son to study at Heidelberg University. Edward last appeared in the 1891 census as a prisoner at Wimbledon Police Station, but what happened to him after that is unknown. As soon as her divorce became final in 1910 Charlotte married a London fish merchant called Arthur Hines and son, Victor, now an engineer, was with them.
Edward Senior's second son, William, was originally a draper but later became a commercial traveller. He married Clara Farance Masey in Dover in 1890 and they had six children. The family moved around quite a lot, ending up in Lancashire. William died between 1911 and 1916 (possibly in 1913 in Nottingham).
Charles Barnard was born in about 1840. He never married. By 1871 he was a corn merchant in High Street, Epsom, next door to the 'White Hart'. His sister, Eliza (born 1835), was with him, as was another sister, Emma Johnson, and her daughter, plus one of his sister Ann Maylin's daughters. Having been charged by his father's will with the responsibility of looking after sister Eliza while she remained single, Charles was on his own in 1881, apart from a young housekeeper and a groom, Eliza having married Stephen Spicer Crutch, a window and glass merchant, in 1872. Eliza and Stephen had two children, Edith and Horace. Eliza died in 1884 and Stephen in 1905.
Eliza's son, Horace Crutch, with his son, Leslie
Emma and Alice Johnson were both now ill-fatedly married to Messrs Strassmann and Tuck respectively. In 1891 Charles was at 76 High Street, living alone on his own means and in 1901 at Number 48, the premises comprising a hairdresser's, boot and corn merchant's shops. In 1911 Charles had left the High Street and was living at 105 Hook Road. Head of household was nominally Alice Johnson/Tuck/Catliff (by now divorced from Harry Tuck and separated from her second husband) but it is hard to imagine that it was her house. The Tuck and Catliff children were also there. Alice was calling herself a widow but husband Edward was alive and kicking, having abandoned his career in medicine and settled for the life of a bricklayer, living with another woman in Wolverhampton. Charles died in 1913.
Timothy Senior died in Epsom on 19 March 1871, having fathered twenty-six children that we know about. The new 'patriarch' of the family was his eldest son, John, born about 1818. In business terms at least he was a chip off the old block and continued in much the same vein as Timothy.
Timothy's occupation at the time of his death was given as corn and coal merchant, but this belied the extent of his activities. For example, he owned two pieces of land adjoining Epsom Downs, with buildings thereon (probably stables), and various granaries, shops and houses (including 24-26 The Parade). His will is not specific about the number or location of his properties, but the estate seemed sufficient to provide for all of his (legitimate) offspring for many years to come.
PART 2 - JOHN BARNARD AND FAMILY
The main characters and their children
John Barnard (c.1818-94)
Businessman, property owner, owner of interests in Epsom and Kempton Park Racecourses and sometime landlord of The White Hart, married Lucy Giles.
Children of John and Lucy
- Lucy Elizabeth (1846-52), died in childhood
- Emily Susannah (1848-52), died in childhood
- Helen Emma (1850-1922) married Lionel Furneaux Knipe Hill, barrister
- John (born and died 1852), died as a baby
- Arthur (1854-1911), black sheep of John's family and sometime bankrupt, married Helen Tanton
- Sydney (1856-1930), corn merchant and sometime bankrupt, married (1) Annie Blake (2) Flora Hitchen. Retired to Hove.
- Herbert (1858-89) unmarried
Sydney Barnard (1856-1930)
Corn merchant and sometime bankrupt, married (1) Annie Blake (2) Flora Hitchen. Retired to Hove.
Children of Sydney and Annie
- Annie Sybil (1881-1961), had one illegitimate child and then married twice, eventually lived in Worthing area
- Ethel (1883-?)
- John (1884-1941), insurance agent, committed suicide
- Sydney Roland (1885-?), originally a mortgage broker living in Essex
- Stanley Blake (1886-1966), worked in the timber trade, Worthing area
- Cecil Montague (1893-1962), driver, lived Brighton
Timothy Barnard's eldest son, John, was already a substantial businessman in his own right by the time his father died and, together with William Baylis, an Epsom surveyor, was a trustee of his father's estate.
In 1871 he and a local estate agent, Charles Langlands, who was a member of EGSA, subleased from EGSA land surrounding the grandstand and track on which booths and stalls were customarily erected. They then sub-let these sites on race days. A similar operation was later put in place at Kempton Park racecourse. John had married Lucy Giles on 12 September 1844 at St John the Baptist, Croydon. She was the daughter of a poulterer. They had seven children, only four of whom survived into adulthood. Tragically, three of the first four all died in December 1852, being Lucy Elizabeth, aged 6 years, Emily Susannah, aged four and John, aged 6 months. Mercifully, their remaining child at that time, Helen Emma, born 28 July 1850, survived.
Grave of Emily, Lucy and John, children of John and Lucy Barnard
Helen married Lionel Furneaux Knipe Hill on 13 April 1882 at St George, Hanover Square. Lionel was born on 23 October 1856 at Locksley Vicarage, Warwickshire, son of the local clergyman. His mother, Mary, was descended from a distinguished Scottish poet, Thomas Campbell, who is buried in Westminster Abbey. Helen's and Lionel's son, Gordon, edited a book of his poetry.
Lionel was educated at Sutton Valence Grammar School, near Rochester, Kent and gained an MA at Oxford. In 1881 he was a schoolmaster at the Epsom District Royal Medical Benevolent College, which is now called simply Epsom College
, and subsequently became a London barrister. In 1891 the Hills were living at 'The Lindens' in Church Street, Epsom, next door to John Barnard at 'The Hollies
', but by 1901 they had moved to Richmond and then to Twickenham. Lionel died in Kingston Infirmary on 2 December 1906, aged 50. Helen then moved back to Epsom with her three children, and in 1911 she lived at 5 Ashdown Road. . She died on 10 October 1922 and is buried in Epsom Cemetery with her husband and their unmarried daughter, Gladys Helen Lucy Hill who was born in 1886 in Epsom and died on 15 July 1961 in Hastings district, aged 75.
Inscription for Lionel Furneaux Knipe Hill on the Hill grave in Epsom Cemetery
The Hill grave
Inscriptions for Helen and Gladys Hill on the Hill grave
Their son, Gordon Lionel Campbell Hill, was born in 1884 in Epsom. He remained in Ashdown Road for some time after his mother's death and there is a record of him coming home from Demerara, Guyana to London with his sister Gladys on the ship 'Ingria' in 1928. Whether they had been on a Caribbean cruise or Gordon had some business there is not known.
In World War 1 Gordon was a Territorial Major seconded to the Royal Sussex Regiment having been a Territorial officer in the Middlesex Regiment since at least 1908. At around that time he was also Director of the Empire Picture Theatre and the British Bioscope Manufacturing Company, but this was a short-lived venture which went bust in 1911. He died in 1945, aged 61.
The other daughter, Gwendolen Campbell Hill, was born in Epsom on 10 May 1892. She married Henry Burns and died in 1985 in Worthing district.
Barnard interests in the racecourse continued and in 1930 Gladys Helen Lucy Hill formed a company called Barnard & Hill, together with a man named Reginald White, probably the grandson of former Clerk of the Course, Henry Dorling, who was also involved in the early days of EGSA. This company's business was racecourse facilities, principally car parking on the Derby Stables site. Later, Gladys's sister, Gwendolen Burns, became a director of the company and by the 1970s she and her family held the bulk of the shares. The business was ultimately sold to United Racecourse (Holdings) Ltd.
The eldest son of John and Lucy Barnard was Arthur, born 1854 in Epsom. By 1881 he was still living at home, with no occupation stated. On 30 November 1885, at St Dunstan in the West, City of London, he married Helen Emily Tanton, the daughter of Joseph Ransley Tanton, who was mentioned earlier. (Helen's brother, Charles Ransley Tanton, was in 1911 the proprietor of the previously mentioned 'King's Head' hotel.) On the marriage certificate Arthur is described as a 'gentleman' which in his case was certainly a euphemism for 'sponging off Dad', as he was an undischarged bankrupt at the time. By all accounts he was a huge trouble and worry to his father, who originally named him as an executor and beneficiary of his estate but then added codicils, reducing his inheritance.
The Hollies, Church Road (now the Epsom Club)
The Lindens, Church Road (now part of the Conservative Club)
John Barnard made his will on 27 February 1890, naming Lionel F K Hill, his son-in-law, and Arthur Barnard as executors. After some specific bequests he left his estate to be divided equally among his three surviving children, Helen Hill and Arthur and Sydney Barnard. The Estate was substantial, totalling around £16,000 (about £1.5 million in today's money) before estate duty and comprising, among other things, two adjoining houses in Church Street - 'The Hollies' and 'The Lindens' (pictured above as they are today), 2 acres of land on Epsom Downs 'with sheds thereon' (the Derby Stables, opposite the Queen's Stand), interests in part of the Downs as Race Stand proprietor and four adjoining properties in the Holloway Road, London. Just one month after making this will he added a codicil, removing Arthur as an executor referring to the large sums previously paid on Arthur's behalf, and the considerable sums paid in the intervening month. The result was that Arthur's share in the Estate was reduced by £500. In July 1890 John conveyed 'The Lindens' to Helen. This was the house in which she and Lionel already lived. John also reduced the number of shares in EGSA that would be inherited by Arthur. Two further codicils followed, adjusting some minor legacies, and then, on 14 March 1894, shortly before his death, John deducted a further £530 from Arthur's inheritance because he had 'lately paid large sums of money on behalf of Arthur to save him from prosecution'. Finally, a few weeks before his death, John added another codicil, saying '...whereas my son Arthur continues to give me great worry and anxiety and has by his behaviour more than ever deserved to be disinherited altogether, I now direct that he shall have no share or interest whatever in the profits from the Derby Stables'. Furthermore, on Arthur's death, his widow would receive only half of what he had been entitled to. In 1891, Arthur, Helen and daughter Lucy Constance had been living at 1, The Terrace, Station Road, Epsom, with Arthur now described as a commission agent. In 1901, by which time his father had died, the family was in lodgings in St Pancras, London, living off its own means. Arthur died on 13 March 1911. In 1912 Lucy married an electrician called Charles Usher and Helen died on 10 January 1929 at the Crowborough Nursing Home, Crowborough, Sussex.
Grave Inscription for John Barnard, Epsom Cemetery
The next son was Sydney Barnard, born 1856 Epsom, and he was in business as a corn and coal merchant. On 12 March 1881 he married Annie Blake, daughter of an Epsom butcher (great great grandfather of both co-authors). By 1891 they looked comfortably off, if the census is anything to go by, living in 'The Retreat', Ladbroke Road, Epsom with their six children, Annie's sister, Ellen Sherrington, and two servants. By 1901 the family had had another child and retired to select Hove where they lived at 25 Hartington Villas. In 1911 they were living in Marine Avenue, Hove. To outward appearances they might have appeared reasonably well-to-do but in reality they were struggling. Sydney had been made bankrupt and Annie and the children were submitting their bills to and drawing income from the estate of his father, John. Annie even had to ask the Estate to pay her gas bills. She died on 25 November 1919, aged 58, whereupon (July 1920, Coventry Register Office) Sydney married a woman 30 years his junior, Flora Hitchen. Rumour has it in the Barnard family that Flora spent 'all of Sydney's money', but it is a moot point whether he had very much after all that had gone on. It looks as if Sydney was still an undischarged bankrupt when he died.
Sydney died in 1930 and was buried with Annie in Hove Cemetery. Flora subsequently lived at 57 Upper Lewes Road, Brighton and died in the Hove Hospital of injuries received after being knocked off her cycle by a lorry on 12 Sep 1932, aged 47. She was buried with Sydney and Annie in Hove Cemetery. Her estate was £192.19.6 and went to her father.
Grave of Sydney Barnard and his wives Annie and Flora, Hove Cemetery
The last child of John and Lucy was Herbert, born 1858 Epsom. He seems to have lived at home with his parents until he died on 13 September 1889, aged 30. Lucy Barnard had died the previous month, on 7 August 1889, and John himself followed on 3 November 1894. He is buried with Lucy and Herbert in Epsom Cemetery.
Immediately after Arthur Barnard's death in 1911 his widow, Helen, brought an action against the beneficiaries. Lionel Hill, the executor, had died in the meantime and the executors were now two London solicitors called Moresby & Moore. Helen claimed shares in various properties in the Estate. By now there were many more interested parties (i.e. the children of the beneficiaries as well as the initial beneficiaries themselves), all of whom had to be represented, and the legal costs of this action alone were over £3,000. It has to be said that, owing to the addition of the six codicils, the will had become complicated. As she did not sue Moresby & Moore as trustees and executors, but instead sued Helen Hill and the others, it seems possible that Arthur's widow thought Lionel Hill had been the cause of her missing out on what she thought she was due and, indeed, this may well have been the case, as it was Helen Hill personally who eventually made a settlement. She must have realised that the litigation was consuming a sizeable chunk of everyone's inheritances and it was probably cheaper to settle than fight.
Then, in the 1930s, Moresby & Moore went to court and this case concerned the inheritance of Sydney Barnard, who had by now died. The dispute concerned the ownership of some South Australia stocks and shares, which had been purchased as an investment with the proceeds of his share in the Derby Stables. The court decided that this stock had indeed belonged to Sydney's share and his whole interest in the Estate was then paid to his adult children, who received £672 each (about £35,000 in today's terms).
The surviving Barnards had mostly left Epsom by the early 20th century. Sydney had six children, most of whom remained in the Sussex area.
The eldest child, Annie Sybil (known as Sybil) had been born in Epsom in 1881. On 16 February 1901 in Felpham, near Bognor Regis, she gave birth to a son called Napoleon Valentine Barnard. On his birth certificate his father was named as Charles Barnard, mariner. He may have been a Charles but he was almost certainly not called Barnard and this was probably camouflage to disguise the fact that Napoleon was illegitimate. Napoleon, who was known as Valentine, ran a fish restaurant in Brighton and died in 1972.
In 1908 Sybil married a mariner in the merchant service, William Mee Bailey from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. They had one daughter, Gwendolin Sybil (known as Peggie), born in 1911. William seems to have died, possibly in 1913. In the 1911 census Sybil and her son and daughter were living in Forest Gate, East London with Sybil's brother and sister, Stanley and Ethel. Mr Bailey was not at home.
By 1917 Sybil had popped up as an assistant in a provisions store in Eastbourne and was now a Roman Catholic (it is believed that her mother had converted to Catholicism at some stage). On 24 September 1917 she married the manager of the store, William Arthur Moore, born about 1876 in Camberwell. They had two children, John E and Mary Christina, born in 1918 and 1921 respectively. William Moore died in 1933, Sybil in 1961, Gwendolin in 1965 and Mary in 1967. Mary had been the secretary to the Worthing Town Clerks.
The next child, Ethel, born in Epsom in 1883, worked as a barmaid at some stage, but what happened to her is not currently known.
John Barnard at Herne Bay, Kent
The eldest son, John, born 18 March 1884, became an insurance agent. In 1906 he married Gwendoline Violet Peskett in Clapham, London (then Surrey) and they had four children. John served in the First World War but the records appear to have been destroyed. All that the family knows is that he apparently had some kind of very bad experience and was never quite right when he returned. At the outbreak of the Second World War, anecdotal evidence suggests that he was extremely anxious about an invasion by the Germans. In 1941 he killed himself with a shotgun in the shed of his home in the East Sussex village of Alfriston.
His eldest son, Alec Jack Barnard (1906-78), was apprenticed to a butcher called Haffenden in Berwick, near Eastbourne. In the 1940s he bought out Mr Haffenden and he also dealt in antiques, electrical goods and cycles, showing the enterprise in trade of his Epsom ancestors. Alec is pictured here outside his shop in Alfriston. His son, Andrew Patrick William ('Bill'), is the figure lurking in the doorway at the Epsom Club in the modern-day photo of 'The Hollies' which appears earlier in this article.
Alec Jack Barnard outside his shop in Alfriston
The next eldest son, Sydney Roland Barnard, was born in 1885 in Epsom. In 1911 he married Maud Knightly in Romford, Essex and they had two children, Irene and Roland. Sydney was a self-employed mortgage broker in Ilford. He served in the Infantry in the First World War, but no further trace has yet been found of him or Roland. It is believed that Irene stayed in the Sussex area and married.
Stanley Blake Barnard, born 1886 Epsom, married Ada Barham in 1915. They had one daughter, Gladys. Ada died in 1930, aged just 36. Stanley was originally a valet in the Brighton area but later worked in the timber trade. He died in 1966 in Worthing district.
Cecil Montague Barnard
The last son, Cecil Montague ('Monty') was born on 2 September 1883 at Ashley Road Epsom. He married his first cousin, Ada Gowing, daughter of his mother's sister, Kate Blake. They had one daughter. Monty was a chauffeur by trade and a lorry driver in the First World War. He died in Brighton on 1 April 1962 of a brain haemorrhage.
Researched and written by Bill Barnard and Linda Jackson
© March 2011
Unless otherwise indicated the images are courtesy of the authors © March 2011
Will of John Gaston 1833
Criminal Registers on Ancestry.co.uk
4 Epsom and Ewell History Explorer website
'Old Views of Epsom Town' by George Cockman and John Marshall 1988
Ancestry Criminal Registers