'Adjoining The Grove is a house of corresponding date called Ewell House. There are carved wood trusses to the over-door of the front door . Some oak panelling on the staircase is Jacobean, and therefore older than the house. In the garden is an ice-house and some artificial caves [thought to have been service tunnels from the 18th century]. My father remembered a wrought iron wicket gate, of which the two rubbed-brick piers remain, which led from the front door of the house into the Grove. There were also, at that time, wrought-iron carriage gates halfway up the hill on the Epsom Road [probably on the shared drive to Tayles Hill - as shown by 1913 OS Map, the southern lodge and approach to Ewell House were beside The Grove, where 1 Ewell House Parade now stands].
"At the end of the 17th century Ewell House was built by Mr. Fendall. Aubrey heard (1673-92)* that a quantity of human bones had been dug up in the grounds; but it was not until recent years that it was found that the house had been built on the site of a Saxon cemetery. There were a pair of wrought-iron gates opening from the Epsom Road at Ewell House; these were removed about the middle of the 19th century. And entering from the avenue of lime-trees called The Grove was an iron wicket, between gauged brick piers, opposite the front door; this also was taken away and the opening bricked up. The front door is approached by stone steps and a landing protected by wrought-iron ramps and railings. The vertical bars carry scrolls under the hand-rail and twisted water-leaves alternately, there are knobs on the standards, and the return ends of the landing railing are decorated with lyres. [*Aubrey. Vol. II. p. 219; S.A.C., Vol. XLIII (1935). pp. 17-28.]"
'All that new Built Brick messuage or tenement wherein the said Henry ffendall now Doth or lately Did Dwell and all that other messuage or tenement now standing Empty and lying behind the said new Built Messuage on the northpart thereof next a certain Street Called Gillows Street....and all that other empty messuage standing behind the new one ...with another new built messuage called the Little House situated in the orchard adjoining the former; with the stables coach-houses and gardens etc (2 a) belonging to both premises and enclosed with a brick wall on the south and east sides, on Taylors [sic] Hill near Gallows Street. [SHCOL_ 838/5/7]
'with capital entrance lodge and 14 acres of land... on the rise of the hill to Epsom... It is in perfect order, containing three large and elegant reception rooms besides a morning-room, 10 bedrooms, and three dressing rooms. The stable yard adjoins the house and contains stabling for six horses, coach-houses, laundry, brew-house and every accommodation besides a small distinct farmyard with cow-houses &c....'
'Freehold, tithe free and no land tax. It stands in its own grounds of three and a half acres which are beautifully timbered and ornamentally laid out, and contains four reception rooms, 12 bedrooms, good kitchens, servants' offices and every convenience...The outer premises comprise farm yard, large garden, stabling for several horses, coach-house, brew-house, laundry, cow-house , piggery &c... Additional meadow land (freehold) to the extent of eight acres may be purchased or rented...' [Repeated, for sale , or to let, 19 May 1863.]
'Sacred to the memory of Anna Self, the wife of James Blake, who died October 19, 1870, aged 53. Also of James Blake who died 23 July1875 aged 62.'
'The house, which is most substantially built, and has recently been enlarged and renovated by the present owner at great cost, is approached from the main road by a carriage drive, with lodge entrance through beautifully wooded pleasure grounds, and contains on the ground floor spacious hall and staircase in oak, double drawing room 46 ft by 20 ft with recessed windows overlooking lawn and communicating with handsome conservatory, dining room 26 ft by 20 ft, morning room, cloak room, lavatory etc. On the upper floor are 13 principal and secondary bed and dressing rooms store closets &c. The domestic offices are well arranged and replete with every convenience, and the cellarage is spacious and dry; gas and water laid on throughout and there is also a well of pure spring water. The new and excellent stabling comprises two stalls and three boxes, two double coach- houses, harness rooms, five men's rooms over and a large ball-room or armoury, detached bake-house, dairy and fruit room newly erected, model lodge at north entrance, small farmery &c. The lawns and pleasure gardens are most tastefully laid out and adorned with beautiful specimen trees and shrubs, lawn tennis , greenhouse, summer houses, subterranean passage, bathing pool &c; also a large walled fruit and vegetable garden well stocked with choice fruit trees, cucumber house, potting sheds &c, all in perfect order...'