Henry Fendall
Gentleman of Ewell

(baptised 18 July 1670 - buried 17 May 1757)
with some connections to the Williams and Baxter families


Immediate family background


Henry Fendall's father also carried the forename Henry: the latter was a merchant in the City of London, citizen and cutler, who, with his wife Ann, came into possession of Spring House, Ewell during 1662 [LINK to Millenium Project] and numerous other copyholds, including Windsmer Hill, from Nicholas Knapp. He, Fendall, was the subject of a Certificate of Residence in Surrey for taxation, 1663 & 1664 [National Archives E115/144/50 & 126] and appears at Ewell in the 1664 Hearth Tax Return as 'Mr Fendall', chargeable in respect of 7 fires, hearths or stoves in his dwelling . In the Court Rolls of Epsom, his death was recorded on 31 October 1681 [Lehmann 9B11] - burial, as Henry Fendeall, at St Mary's Ewell on 26 August 1681.

Sarah Fendall, a daughter of Henry, was born at Ewell 10 May 1657. She became the second wife of Thomas (1) Williams , Citizen, Goldsmith* and Banker (according to the Little London Directory of 1677, 'keeping running cashes') at The Crown (premises later numbered 76) in Lombard Street, of St Mary Woolnoth, London, by licence 28 September 1682. Her husband died at West Ham but was buried, 8 July 1697, at St. Mary, Woolnoth, London, Middlesex. The London Gazette of 16 August 1697 carried an advertisement: - 'Whoever left any plate or jewels in the hands of Tho. Williams, late of Lombard Street, London, Goldsmith, deceased are advised to fetch them away by Michaelmas next or they will be disposed of.' By 26 May 1698, Sarah Williams [nee Fendall] of the parish of Westham by Bow, Essex, widow of Thomas Williams formerly of Lombard Street, London, goldsmith, had entered into a further marriage agreement with Sir William Coryton. [Cornwall archives CY 1598]

Henry Fendall, junior, was brought for baptism at St Mary's Ewell on 18 July 1670. Alumni Oxoniensis includes Henry Fendall, son of H(enry) of Ewell, Surrey, gent. Christ Church, matriculated 25 February 1688/9, aged 18.

Another daughter, Ann Fendall, spinster, aged about 25, married Nicholas Baxter of the Inner Temple, also about 25, on 24 July 1680 at St Paul's Covent Garden.

The widowed mother Ann Fendall had been re-married by 1688 (when she leased out Spring House), possibly on 3 June 1687 at St Olave, Bermondsey, to another Nicholas Baxter but, again widowed, she had died four years later, to be buried at Ewell, 7 July 1691, as Ann, wife of Nicolas (sic) Baxter. She appears to have retained a life interest in real estate at Ewell and Epsom which subsequently descended to the son from her first marriage, Henry Fendall, junior.

Issuing from the 1680 union of Ann Fendall and Nicholas Baxter came a daughter, Ann Baxter, born 30 December 1684, christened 20 January 1684/5 at St Martin in the Fields. She and a sibling Elizabeth appear to have been grand-daughters of the Nicholas Baxter of St James, Westminster, whose Will was proved 29 October 1701 [PROB 11/461/532].

Henry (2) Fendall was admitted to the Inner Temple 31 January 1685 and called on 9 May 1692.

Development of the premises on Tayles Hill which became Ewell House

On 5 February 1701, at Ewell, Ann Baxter, one of the daughters and co-heirs of Nicholas Baxter of the Inner Temple, married Thomas (2) Williams. By a bargain and sale dated 14 March 1701, Henry Fendall, the younger, also of the Inner Temple, transferred land and buildings to Thomas (2) Williams, yet another member of the Inner Temple, and Anna his wife, formerly Anna Baxter, spinster. These arrangements were part of a marriage settlement which involved Thomas (2) Williams purchasing the property for £3,320.

Thomas (2) Williams admitted to the Inner Temple in 1692 is recorded to have been the son and heir of Thomas (1) Williams, citizen and goldsmith of the City of London. This suggests he was the child of the first union of the Thomas (1) Williams who as a widower subsequently married Henry Fendall's sister Sarah. His birth is dated to 29 March 1678.

The Ewell real estate included 'All that new Built Brick messuage or tenement wherein the said Henry ffendall now Doth or lately Did Dwell and all that other messuage or tenement now standing Empty and lying behind the said new Built Messuage on the northpart thereof next a certain Street Called Gillows Street....and all that other empty messuage standing behind the new one ...with another new built messuage called the Little House situated in the orchard adjoining the former; with the stables coach-houses and gardens etc (2 a) belonging to both premises and enclosed with a brick wall on the south and east sides, on Taylors [sic] Hill near Gallows Street. [SHCOL_ 838/5/7]

Writing about 'Ironwork in Epsom and Ewell' [SAC Vol. 48, 1943], C S Willis tells us: -
"At the end of the 17th century Ewell House was built by Mr. Fendall. Aubrey heard (1673-92)* that a quantity of human bones had been dug up in the grounds; but it was not until recent years that it was found that the house had been built on the site of a Saxon cemetery. There were a pair of wrought-iron gates opening from the Epsom Road at Ewell House; these were removed about the middle of the 19th century. And entering from the avenue of lime-trees called The Grove was an iron wicket, between gauged brick piers, opposite the front door; this also was taken away and the opening bricked up. The front door is approached by stone steps and a landing protected by wrought-iron ramps and railings. The vertical bars carry scrolls under the hand-rail and twisted water-leaves alternately, there are knobs on the standards, and the return ends of the landing railing are decorated with lyres. [*Aubrey. Vol. II. p. 219; S.A.C., Vol. XLIII (1935). pp. 17-28.]"
Rear view of Ewell House c1961
Front view of Ewell House c1961
Front (upper image) and Rear view of Ewell House c1961
Image courtesy of Epsom and Ewell Local and Family History Centre © 2014

The offspring of Thomas (2) Williams and Anne, nee Baxter

Christened at Ewell:-
Anne (2) Williams born 12 December 1702, baptised 14 December 1702.
Thomas (3) Williams born 2 January 1703, baptised 4 January 1703.
Elizabeth Williams born 11 August 1706, baptised 12 August 1706.
Nicholas Williams born 22 April 1708, baptised 8 May 1708.
Henry Williams born 7 February 1709, baptised 26 February 1709.
Frances Williams born 1 December 1711, baptised 6 December 1711.
Richard Williams born ? July 1713, baptised 27 July 1713.
William Williams born ? July 1715, baptised 19 July 1715.
Mary Williams born ? August 1716, baptised 7 September 1716.
John Williams born 10 December 1717, baptised 12 December 1717.
Alumni Oxonienses
Thomas Williams, son of Thomas, of Ewell, Surrey, arm. HART HALL, matric. 5 July, 1721, aged 17; B.A. from PEMBROKE COLL. 16 October 1723.

William Williams, son of Thomas, of Ewell, Surrey, arm. TRINITY COLL., matric. 30 April, 1735, aged 19; BA I739. [Ordained priest on 23 December 1739].

The younger Henry Fendall (1670 -1757), a widower of mature years, goes a wooing.

The record of a first marriage have not been traced but in the 1701 deed of sale his wife had been named Frances. She is believed have been Frances Williams, born 22 September 1671 & baptised at St Mary Woolnoth on 8 October 1671 - daughter of the Thomas (1) Williams, Goldsmith of London, as mentioned earlier. Her burial at St Mary's Ewell took place on 7 March 1716.

Henry (2) Fendall subsequently entered the courtship of Helena Parsons, an orphan aged about 19. Her parents had been John Parsons (1667 - 1702) of Reigate and Cecilia Maria Machell whose marriage was celebrated at All Hallows, London, on 29 October 1691 [MI at St Mary's Church, Horsham, to John Parsons, Esq. ob. June 18, 1702, aet. 33. Also Cecilia Maria, his wife, ob. Oct. 18, 1700, aet. 26] . Helena was the grand-daughter of Sir John Parsons of Reigate Priory and John Machell of Hills Place, Horsham.

Helena became the second Mrs Fendall at St Anne's, Soho, on 23 January 1719.

Richard Ingram, executor of the will of John Machell, deceased in 1704, had been directed to pay a legacy of £1,000 to Helena Parsons when she attained the age of 21. Ingram became the 5th Viscount Irwin but died on 10 April 1721 without fulfilling this obligation. Henry Fendall may be found pursuing his wife's claims in Chancery 20 years later [West Yorkshire Archives-WYL100/L/73 1739-1744].

Local Gentry

In answers made to Dr Willis' Visitation, 1724/5, the gentry of Ewell were reported to include 'Henry [2] Fendall, Esqr., formerly General Receiver of the Land Tax for the county of Surry [1714] and Thomas [2] Williams, Esqr., a private gentleman of a plentifull estate.' [Replies to Bishops' Visitations - Surrey Record Society, 35, 1994]

In Handel's Trumpeter: The Diary of John Grano, the younger Henry Fendall is mentioned as the nephew in law of Alderman Humphrey Parsons, sometime Lord Mayor of London. On 19 August 1728, Grano wrote: - "When all was over Mr Asty, the Alderman and I walked back to Mr Fendall's at Ewell, when we sat down to a good supper and stuck to our bottle until between four and five".

The demise of Thomas (2) Williams and Anne (1) Williams, nee Baxter, occupiers of what became known as Ewell House.

A copy of the Will , of Thomas Williams of Ewell, Esq., dated 15 Feb 1725, proved 18 Jan 1728, is held by Surrey History Centre under reference 440/1.

After desiring to be buried in the chancel of the parish church of Ewell, the testator made the following bequests:
1) to his wife: all household goods, jewels, plate, coaches, horses and all estates in his possession or reverting on the death of Mrs Pierson, in parishes of Cheam and Cuddington; these estates to be sold to discharge debts and establish fund for benefit of children; all freehold, leasehold and copyhold land conveyed or assigned to the testator by brother in law Thomas Gape esq, subject to rent of £300 per annum for Gape's life, or completion of leasehold terms; five shares in Shadwell water works; all other freehold, copyhold and leasehold estates other than those settled on her by marriage; all goods and personal estate, to be held in trust for children, except eldest son Thomas (or younger sons in event of his demise during mother's lifetime), who is entitled to the estates listed in marriage settlement.
2) to his brother and brothers in law Hugh Williams, Henry Fendall, esq., and Thomas Gape: £8 each for mourning; to his 'brother and sister King' and 'brother and sister Holditch': £15 each for mourning.
3) to poor of parish of Ewell 40s. in bread.
His wife was appointed sole executrix.

The reference to Henry (2) Fendall as a brother in law appears to be true based on Thomas Williams having been brother to Henry Fendall's first wife, Frances. Curiously, however, he had also become Thomas (2) Williams' step -uncle when Sarah Fendall married Thomas (1) Williams and uncle in-law by Thomas (2)'s marriage to Henry's niece, Anne Baxter; thus , from the triple relationship, their children would have become both Fendall's great-nephews & great nieces and nephews & nieces as later simply described. The background raises questions about forbidden kindred which are beyond the scope of this article. Hugh Williams, Thomas' brother, had been christened, 18 September 1679, at St. Mary, Woolnoth, London.

The demise of Thomas (2)'s relict, Ann Williams , seems to have be represented by an interment at St Mary's Ewell on 9 October 1747.

During 1747 a case arose in the Court of Chancery [National Archives C 11/1093/39] : -
Plaintiffs: Thomas Williams infant aged 10 years (eldest son and heir of Nicholas Williams, haberdasher deceased late of London, who was second son of Thomas Williams, esq deceased formerly of Inner Temple, London and late of Ewell, Surrey and Ann Williams his wife also deceased; by Thomas Hatton, laceman of Lombard Street, London, his father in law).

Defendants: Henry Williams, gent, William Williams, clerk, James Williams infant (by Lucy Hatton, his mother and guardian), Ann Williams, Richard Williams, Mary Williams, William Hay, Margaret Williams and Henry Fendall.
Thomas Williams, son of Nicholas Williams and Lucy nee Hatton, had been baptised at Saint Edmund the King and Martyr, Lombard Street, London, on 28 October 1737.

Although Thomas Hatton had been declared bankrupt in 174, his business appears to have been continued in the name of his wife, also called Lucy. On 23 October 1754, a shipment of goods to George Washington, included items 'Bought of Lucy Hatton - 1 Gold Shoulder Knott £2.8.0 and 6 yards gold Regim lace @ 10/6 - £3.3.0'. Her husband appears to have died by 1755.

These proceedings in the High Court of Chancery, following the death of Mrs Ann Williams, Thomas (2)'s widow would explain a Decree in respect of Thomas Williams (2), the elder deceased, who died in 1727, which was advertised in the London Gazette published 17 February 1749. Nicholas Williams elder brother, Thomas (3) Williams, disappears from the records and may have pre-deceased him.

Death of Henry Fendall, the younger

Henry (2) Fendall was buried at St Mary's Ewell on 17 May 1757.

Summary of Will - Henry Fendall of Ewell dated 24 September 1756 - PROB 11/830/136
To be buried in Chancel of Ewell Parish Church.

Marriage Settlement £300 p.a. Jointure Helena Fendall. In lieu, life interest as widow in income from: -
Several messuages, lands, tenements and wharves, at Wapping wall, Parish of St Paul, Shadwell;
Messuages lands and tenements situate in Parish of St Mary Mattellon, Steavonheath (?), now called St George, Middlesex, and in Parish of St John, Wapping;
All other messuages, lands and tenements in Middlesex, except estates in Parish of St Martin in the Fields to £400 p. a.

Any remainder of such rents and profits to nephew Henry Williams, or his heirs should he die in Helena's lifetime. After her death fall to nephew Henry Williams and his heirs.

Dwelling house now inhabited in Ewell to widow, Helena - with gardens and grounds - for her natural life as his widow. After her decease to nephew William Williams, Clerk, and his heirs.

Messuage, or tenement, and gardens formerly in possession of Daniel Hall (?) with all other freehold and copyhold premises in Ewell, not otherwise devised, & Greyhound Inn, Sutton, (charged with £10 life annuity to John Hawkins, carpenter, of Ewell) to nephew William Williams and heirs, also Messuages etc. in Bedfordbury and St Martin's Lane and elsewhere in St Martin in the Fields to nephew William Williams and heirs.

£500 Capital Bank Stock to niece Ann Williams. £500 Capital Bank Stock to niece Mary Williams.

£30 to servant Jane Withnell. £10 each to every other servant in employ for a year upwards. £10 to be distributed by Executrix between poor widows of Ewell.

Residuary estate to Widow for her own use and benefit. Helena Fendall made sole Executrix.

Witnessed 24/9/1756 - W Harris, Thomas Highfield & Tho. Ward

Proved by Helena Fendall, 24 May 1757.
No monument appears to have survived.

Court Roll transcripts include the admission of Rev William Williams to the Ewell copyhold estate, 12/10/1757, subject to the widowed Helena's life interest. Henry Fendall had sold the freehold property which became the Ewell House premises as early as 14 March 1701, long before his second marriage to Helena Parsons during 1719. A record in the Court Rolls [10/171] suggests that on Henry's death his widow succeeded to a copyhold messuage (presumably their former home) which later became the site of Dorset House. The widowed Helena, however, seems to have moved her residence to another messuage with barn, orchard & close on 2 acres near Ox lane. The latter could have been the 'small neat house' noted by Edwards in the Companion from London to Brighthelmston, about 1789, on South Street half a furlong south of the Bull's Head. One may find an 1843 reference to 'copyhold cottages, formerly part of Mrs Helena Fendall's garden, abutting east on Ox Lane..' [SHCOL 6832/1/4/269].

Rev. William Williams (1715 - 1770), nephew

As noted above, William Williams (youngest son of Thomas (2) and Anne nee Baxter) had been ordained priest during 1739. He was instituted Rector of St Clement's, Hastings, 1742 and remained incumbent there until his death in 1770.

The Will of Reverend William Williams, Clerk, dated 19 September 1767, was proved 3 May 1770 by his unmarried sister Ann, sole Executrix. It gave and devised to Ann Williams of Lewisham, Kent, a life interest in all his freehold and copyhold premises in Ewell, the Greyhold Inn, Sutton, and his fee farm estate in Bedfordbury and Flemish Hop Garden. [Survey of London, Vol XX, LCC, 1940 'The Hop Gardens is a small court between Nos. 49 and 50, St. Martin's Lane, extending backward to Bedfordbury... The rate-books from 1652 to 1655 give the alley as Fendalls Alley, but from 1656 onward it appears as The Flemish Hop Garden (later the Hop Gardens). It was probably named from an inn with that sign.'] - after Ann's decease the properties were to descend to their brother Henry Williams and his heirs absolutely.

Legacies - to the poor of St Clement, Hastings, £5, All Saints, Hastings, £3, St Mary in the Castle, near Hastings, £2 & Ewell, Surrey, £5. Also Thomas Williams, parish clerk in Hastings, £3.12.0.

Residuary estate to sister, Ann (2) Williams.

Ann Williams (1702 - 1777), niece

As mentioned in William Williams' Will, his unmarried sister, Ann (2), beneficiary and Executrix, lived at Lewisham. She was, however, brought from Eltham, Kent, to Ewell for burial in St Mary's churchyard on 3 August 1777. On Plot 120, as indexed, a headstone was erected - 'In memory of Ann Williams of Lewisham in the County of Kent who died 30th July 1777 aged 75 years'.

Henry Williams (1709 - 1789), nephew

Adjacent to his sister Ann's grave is another headstone at St Mary's Ewell on Exwood Plot121: - 'In memory of Henry Williams, Epsom, Esquire, Died 27th January 1789 aged 79 years. His will was proved 31 January 1789 - PROB 11/1175/134.

Gravestones raised in memory of Ann Williams, died 1777, and (to the right) her brother Henry Williams who followed her in 1789.
Gravestones raised in memory of Ann Williams, died 1777, and
(to the right) her brother Henry Williams who followed her in 1789.
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard © 2014

Helena Fendall, widow

In her Will, she declared that she wished to be buried in Ewell, 'behind the church with a flat stone only over my grave with my name and age thereon and inclosed with iron rails and I would not have the pulpit hung with mourning - by daylight, without a hearse, and for the coffin to be carried by six poor Ewell men, attended by her servants...'

Helena left £1,000 to Thomas (4) Williams [her great-nephew] of Ewell in trust for the poor widows and families of the parish of Ewell - http://books.google.co.uk.

She left £100 and her jewels, rings, plate china, books goods & furniture in her dwelling-house to his wife Jane Williams.

Further she declared: -
"I give the residue of all my estate unto the said Thomas Williams as a recompense for his havingfor a great many years, as well as his uncle [presumably Rev. William Williams] before him, without any emolument of any kind whatsoever, faithfully managed all my affairs and concerns. And I appoint the said Thomas Williams my executor, nevertheless if the said Thomas Williams should die before me it is my will that the said Jane Williams, his wife, be substituted in his room and that she be my executrix and take the legacy and devise in all respects the same as if her name had been inserted in this my Will instead of the said Thomas Williams".
The ledger stone over  Helena Fendall's grave
The ledger stone over Helena Fendall's grave (Exwood Plot 147).
It is recorded as having been inscribed 'Mrs Helena Fendall died the
5th April 1799 aged 99" but only remnants of the lettering in her name have survived.
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard ©2014

Following Helena's demise what became copyhold plot 286 in the Enclosure Award was acquired by Henry Kitchen.

C S Willis remarks on a monument to the schoolmaster and benefactor Thomas Brumfield placed in St Mary's church by the parishioners and 'Afterwards they economically recorded Helena Fendall on the same slab'.

Memorial to Thomas Brumfield and Helena Fendall in St Mary's Ewell
Memorial to Thomas Brumfield and Helena Fendall in St Mary's Ewell
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum

Thomas Williams (1737 - 1823), great-nephew

On 18 January 1760, a marriage settlement had been entered between Thomas Williams of Bow Church Yard, London, merchant, Jane Sikes of Hackney, Middx, widow, Jane Sikes, spinster, her youngest daughter, and Thomas Sikes of Hackney, esq, her son, and others, previous to marriage of Thomas Williams and Jane Sikes the younger. This arrangement included a brick messuage called The Little House on Tayles Hill, Ewell, and lands in Epsom and Ewell [SHCOL K165/3]

The wedding of Jane, second daughter of Thomas and Jane Sikes [of Tryon Place, Hackney] to Thomas Williams of St Mary le Bow took place, by licence at Hackney, 22 January 1760.

This Thomas (4) Williams, son of Nicholas Williams and Lucy nee Hatton, had been baptised at Saint Edmund the King and Martyr, Lombard Street, London, on 28 October 1737 - a grandson of Thomas (2) and Anne, nee Baxter. Evidently the Ewell House freehold estate had descended to him following his grandmother's demise in 1747 with some copyhold parcels which were sold off in 1759 when he was described as a 'linen draper'. [Court Roll 10/173]. It appears, however, that he also entered possession of property in the East End of London - for some time in Bow and at Stratford, West Ham.

The Queens Head, formerly The Lyon, inn, 3 cottages and land surrendered by customary tenant Thomas Williams of Bow Church Yard, London, linen draper, 19 March 1760. [SHCOL_6832/1/4/183 & K86/1/13]

Their 1st child, Jane, was born in Bow Churchyard Thursday the 5th February 1761, at quarter past 7 morning. baptised 24th .

2nd child Anna Maria was born the 10 February in Bow Churchyard and baptised the 3rd March 1762.

3rd child Elizabeth was born 21st February 1763 in Bow churchyard baptised 15th March. Died 28th August following.

4th child Thomas, christened at St May le Bow on 22nd April 1765.

According to the Genealogist Magazine, Vol. 7, 1904, nine children resulted from this union. A pedigree of 'Williams of Ewell Park" also appeared in that journal, which is unreliable in some respects, but, on 26 July 1788 at Walthamstow, Susanna, 'daughter of Thomas Williams of West Ham, and niece of Mr. Sikes', was joined in matrimony to Thomas Furly Forster (1761-1825), botanist. Mr Forster identifies his future father-in-law's residence in a letter recording a botanical specimen having been found 'by the side of a mill stream in Mr. Thomas Williams's grounds, the Grove at Westham' [possibly otherwise known as Rooke Hall, then Upton House and finally as Ham House. Dr John Fothergill, Quaker physician and botanist, had owned that estate 1762-80, but maintained homes in London and at Lea Hall, Cheshire. Occupancy of the West Ham property from Fothergill's death, in 1780, to 1787 is uncertain].

Two daughters and a son 'of Thomas Williams of Ewell' married into the Jackson family of West Rainton: -
2 July 1799, Catherine, 12 November 1799, Harriett, and 31 October 1805, Charles Williams, later rector of Barby, Northants.

Anna Maria (born 10 February 1762), married Abraham Hatherell, of Radford House near Leamington, Warwicks.

Thomas (4) Williams would also have remained the owner of Ewell House around this time -
James Edwards, writing his Companion from London to Brighthelmston, about 1789, noted on the Epsom Road, beyond the Green Man, opposite the junction with Reigate Road: -
"...half a furlong distant from the road, is an indifferent good house, with a high avenue which shelters it on the east, the property of Mr Williams, and at present to let".
In A Short History of Ewell and Nonsuch, 1931, Cloudesley S Willis mentioned that reference having remarked: -
"Adjoining The Grove is a house of corresponding date called Ewell House. There are carved wood trusses to the over-door of the front door. Some oak panelling on the staircase is Jacobean, and therefore older than the house. In the garden is an ice-house and some artificial caves. My father remembered a wrought-iron wicket gate, of which the two rubbed-brick piers remain, which led from the front door of the house into the Grove. There were also, at that time, wrought-iron carriage gates halfway up the hill on the Epsom Road. One regrets the removal of such handsome features of a house."
Thomas (4) appeared in the schedule of holdings following the inclosure of Ewell, 1803, with a number of plots, all freehold, aggregated at 20a 2r 32p. His main [Ewell House] estate comprised : -
Plot 357 Outbuildings, yards, etc., Plot 358 House etc., Plot 359 Orchard, Plots 360, 361 & 362 Tales (sic) Hill.
Ewell Enclosure Map with plots 357-362 highlighted
Ewell Enclosure Map with plots 357-362 highlighted

Mrs Jane Williams, nee Sikes, died in 1817, followed by her husband six years later; they were interred together in St Mary's churchyard [Exwood Plot 148]

Headstone of Jame and Thomas Willaims in St Mary's Ewell)
Headstone of Jame and Thomas Willaims in St Mary's Ewell
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard ©2014

The inscription is completely eroded but has been recorded to have read: -
'In memory of Jane, wife of Thomas Williams, Esq., of Ewell who departed this life 23rd day of April in the year of our Lord 1817, aged 76 years also Thomas Williams, Esqr., husband of the above Jane Williams who departed this life September 2nd 1823, aged 89 years'
Will of Thomas Williams of Ewell , Surrey, proved 15 September 1823 - PROB 11/1675/250.

Thomas Williams (1765 - ?), great-great nephew

As noted earlier, Thomas (5) Williams was Thomas (4)'s fourth child but first-born son, and eventually his Executor. Local Rate Books mention him holding [Ewell] House and land, on West Street, up to 1851. By 1850, however, the property appears to have been let to Paulus Emilius Pauli, whose name may be found in the 1852 Kelly's Directory.

Brian Bouchard © 2014


* In 1691, Thomas Williams, goldsmith, cashed a promissory note for £12.10.0 drawn by John Pullin in favour of Joseph Williams (a Cornish inventor of a diving bell) but endorsed by the latter to his manager, then named Daniel Foe. Payment was refused by Thomas' unrelated namesake on the grounds that 'endorsed paper only passed between merchants'.The ensuing case of Williams v Williams was decided in the banker's favour and Mr Foe moved on to re-invent himself as Daniel Defoe the author of Robinson Crusoe. [Additional particulars may be found at: - http://books.google.co.uk.

As late as 1720, another case remained in progress, Williams v Power, - Plaintiffs: Thomas Williams, Esq of Ewell, Surrey (eldest son and sole executor of Thomas Williams, goldsmith deceased, late of London).Defendants: Peter Power, esq and Henry Cole. [National Archives - C11/2367/40]

With grateful acknowledgement of useful information contributed by Jeremy Harte, Curator of Bourne Hall Museum, Peter Reed, Margaret Bowers and Linda Jackson, Volunteers at the Epsom and Ewell Local and Family History Centre, based in Ewell Library.



 Art
 Family History
 Health
 Map
 Nature
 People
 Places
 Society
 Sources
 Technology
 Trade
 Transport
 War Memorials

 Contact
 Sitemap
 What's New
 Home

Email:


Donate to The History Centre
HV Usill
HV Usill
Jimmy Page
Jimmy Page
Page Family
Page Family
TH Snow
TH Snow
JA Larby
JA Larby
J Harrison
J Harrison
Foundlings
Foundlings
Nonsuch Mansion
Nonsuch Mansion
New Stables
New Stables