A Short Account of the Glyns' Connection with Ewell
Rear of Glyn House painted in 1865 by Lydia Glyn
Note cards with this type of image are available from Epsom & Ewell
History Centre and Bourne Hall Museum Shop.
Most people who have lived in or around Ewell for any length of time will have come across the name of Glyn, probably the most prominent family in Ewell in the late 18th, the19th and the first half of the 20th Century.
The first Glyn connected with Ewell was Richard Glyn (1711-1773) who inherited land and the rectory (church living) of Ewell through his marriage to Susannah Lewen, daughter of George Lewen and granddaughter of Sir William Lewen, who had acquired it in 1709.
Richard Glyn was knighted in 1752 and in1754 he was a founder partner of the Vere, Glyn and Hallifax Bank; now, after several mergers, part of the Royal Bank of Scotland. Sir Richard was Lord Mayor of London in 1758-9 and was created a baronet in 1759. Susannah died in 1751 and in 1754 he married Elizabeth Carr, daughter of Sir Robert Carr.
The only surviving son of Sir Richard Glyn and Susannah inherited the title as Sir George Glyn when Sir Richard died in 1773 while Richard Carr Glyn, Sir Richard and Elizabeth's son inherited the partnership in the bank Sir Richard had helped to found. Richard Carr Glyn also served as Lord Mayor of London in 1798 and was created 1st Baronet Glyn of Gaunts in the same year.
Sir George Glyn (1739-1814) married twice, his first wife Jane Lewes died in 1790 and both of Sir George and Jane's sons also predeceased him. In 1796 Sir George remarried, his second wife was Catherine Powell, who was 31 years younger than him. Probably Sir George's most notable influence on Ewell was his part in the enclosures of 1802/3 when the previous holdings of strips of land were consolidated into larger farms. Sir George was granted almost 300 acres in lieu of his entitlement to tithes as Rector of Ewell. Sir George, 2nd Baronet, died in 1814 and the title passed to his and Catherine's elder son Lewen Powell Glyn who became 3rd Baronet.
Sir Lewen served in the Army between 1820 and 1825 but had to retire as he suffered from epilepsy. Sir Lewen did not reside in Ewell for much, if any, of his life after inheriting the Baronetcy. He died of epilepsy in 1840 and was succeeded by his brother, George Lewen Glyn.
Sir George Lewen Glyn (1804-1885) took holy orders in 1830 and was appointed as Vicar of Ewell in 1831 (by his brother Sir Lewen Powell Glyn). In 1836 he commissioned the construction of a new rectory house, which was completed in 1839 and still stands in Church Street, albeit having been added to in the late 1800s and more recently when it was acquired by Surrey County Council. It is now part of Ewell Castle School.
In 1838 Sir George Lewen Glyn married Emily Jane Birch and the couple had two sons, George Turberville Glyn and Gervas Clement Glyn( who died in infancy) and two daughters, Emily Catherine and Jane Anna (who died in childhood).
In 1840 Sir George Lewen Glyn succeeded his brother Sir Lewen Powell Glyn and became 4th baronet, continuing as squire of Ewell and Rector for some 45 years. Probably the most significant legacy of his time in Ewell is St Mary's Church, consecrated in 1848 to replace the previous Parish Church, which was reported to have fallen into disrepair. Not every prominent resident of Ewell agreed with the need to demolish the old Church and, while Sir George was able to achieve his wish for a new church (and have a footpath that ran close to the rectory diverted!), he agreed to leave the tower of the old church standing.
In 1854 Sir George's wife Emily died and in 1859 he married Henrietta Amelia Carr Glyn, the daughter of his cousin Richard Carr Glyn (and great granddaughter of Sir Richard Glyn, 1st Baronet and Elizabeth Carr (see above).
Sir George and Lady Henrietta had five children, Anna Lydia (1860-1895), Gervase Powell Glyn (1862-1921), Margaret Henrietta (1865-1946) William Lewen Glyn (1867-1888) and Arthur Robert Glyn (1880-1942).
In 1885 Sir George Lewen Glyn died, having served as Vicar of Ewell for some 54 years and was succeeded by his and his first wife Emily's son, George Turberville Glyn who became 5th Baronet.
Sir George Turberville Glyn, 5th Baronet, (1811-1891) never married and on his death in 1891 was succeeded by Sir Gervas Powell Glyn.
Sir Gervas Powell Glyn, 6th Baronet, (1862-1921) married Dorothy Hislop in 1898 but the couple had no children. Sir Gervas was a keen traveller and talented musician and also took an active part in the affairs of Ewell until forced to give up these interests because of ill-health. Despite his increasing ill-health Sir Gervas survived until 1921 when he was succeeded by his youngest brother Arthur Robert Glyn.
Sir Arthur Robert Glyn, 7th Baronet, (1870-1942) played a prominent part in the affairs of Ewell and more widely in Surrey. As well as being a County Alderman and Justice of the Peace, he was a member of the Surrey Education Committee and as such visited every school in Surrey. He was Chairman of Ewell Parish Council for more than 20 years until it was incorporated into Epsom & Ewell Urban District Council when he served on this.
Sir Arthur supported the foundation of Epsom County School for Boys in 1927 and was the first Chairman of its Board of Governors and in recognition of his service to the school it was given his name in 1953.
Sir Arthur Robert Glyn died in 1942 and in the absence of a direct heir the Baronetcy passed to Sir Richard Fitzgerald Glyn, 4th Baronet Glyn of Gaunts (a descendant of Sir Richard Glyn and Elizabeth Carr-see above).
Although Sir Arthur's death ended the line of Glyn baronets living in Ewell, Sir Arthur's sister Margaret Henrietta Glyn (1865-1946), who survived him by some four years, also played a considerable part in the interests of Ewell. She campaigned to protect the Hatch Furlong site from the plans to build the proposed by-pass but ultimately was not successful. She also bought Bourne Hall and its grounds and sold them to the Borough Council on attractive terms, so saving them from the developers and preserving the grounds for the public, although the disrepair of the house necessitated its demolition to be replaced by the present building. Having inherited the rectory from Sir Arthur, she sold it to Surrey County Council on generous terms and it was renamed Glyn House and used for educational purposes.
On Margaret's death in 1946 the Glyn presence in Ewell ended but the name is commemorated in the shape of Glyn House and the Glyn Technology School.
This short account is based on the book "The Glyns of Ewell" by Charles Abdy. Copies can be obtained from the Bourne Hall Museum Shop, Spring Street, Ewell.