The Horde family

in possession of Fitznell's Manor, Ewell, for a century - 1562 to 1662

The Horde Coat of Arms
Horde.
Argent a chief or with a raven therein.

John Iwardeby is credited with commissioning the construction of a manor house of which the solar wing was incorporated in the building presently called Fitznells Manor. He married Sanchia Carew of Beddington and their daughter Jane was born in 1479 at Ewell. Jane Iwardeby's first marriage in 1500 had been to Sir John St John, Kt., of Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire but she wed secondly Nicholas Saunders of Batailles Manor during 1513.

Fitznell Manor 1966
Fitznell Manor from the South West
Photographed by LR James in August 1966
Image courtesy of Surrey Libraries and is held in the
Epsom & Ewell Local And Family History Centre Collection

When John Iwardeby died on 28 March 1525, Fitznell's passed to Jane Saunders, nee Iwardeby, then, following her demise 5 September 1553, to John St John, junior, of Lydiard Tregoze, her son.

The younger John St John sold Fitznell's Manor to Edmund Horde in 1562 for £300.The 'manor of Fytznelles or Fenelles' was then described as ten messuages, ten cottages, ten barns, ten gardens, ten orchards, a watermill, 160 acres of land, fifty acres of meadow, 200 acres of pasture, fifty acres of wood, 100 acres of heath or furze and £3 in rent in Ewell, Epsom and Cheam.

Edmund's father Alan Hord, Bencher of the Middle temple, had married Dorothy daughter of Thomas Roberts of 'Wyllesdon'. Following her husband's death, 5 September 1553, Dorothy Hord remarried, this time Sir Lawrence Taylare, Kt., of Doddington, Huntingdon.

Evidently the Hord family had established a presence in Ewell prior to the acquisition of Fitznell's because in SAC Vol. XXVIII it is recorded that Allen Hord in his will dated 30 January 1553-4 directed that if it happen that any house of the order of Charterhouse be shortly set up in England...my executors shall deliver to the said house a little chalice of silver and gilt which is in my study at Ewell and a little coffer with relics and a vestment with an alb of cloth of bawdekyn [Rich embroidered stuff]. [Alen Hord is believed to have been deputy to Sir Thomas Cawarden as Steward of the royal manors of Nonsuch, Banstead & Walton from 1548 to 1553.] It appears that the original family home was retained by a third son, called after his father Alan Hord, who became known as 'of Ewell and of Hord Park, co. Salop'.

From Notes to the Pedigree of Hord

1. "Alan Horde, gent. by his will, dated 25 Jan. 1553, bequeaths to each of his three daughters, Dorothy, Mary, and Ursula, £200 on their marriage: to his eldest son Thomas a silver cup and a gold ring, and on it a raven; to each of his two sons, Edmund and Alyn, a silver cup: his wife Dorothy to have for life his house at Ewell, in Surrey, and his manors of Aston and Bampton: devises manors and lands in Salop, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, and Gloucestershire: names his cousin Rd. Mytten, Esq., and -- Gatacre, Esq. supervisors of his will: his executors, his wife and sons Thomas and Edmund.- Bequeaths the silver chalice in his study; mentions his brothers, Doctor Horde and Robert Horde, deceased. Proved in the Prerog. Court of Canterbury, 24 Aug 1555."

The Horde Memorial in St Mary's, Ewell - Click image to enlarge
The Horde Memorial in St Mary's, Ewell
Click image to enlarge
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard © 2011

2. "In St May's, Ewell, church is a large brass memorial in the middle of the chancel, and on it engraved the figure of a woman between five sons, and five daughters; over the heads of the former, in black letters:-
'Thomas Hord, Edmund Hord, Alyn Hord, Willian Hord, John Hord.'
Over the latter:-
"Katheren Hord, Elizabeth Hord, Mary Hord, Dorothy Hord, Ursula Hord."
And underneath the woman:-
"Here lyeth the bodye of Lady Dorothe Taylare, widowe; and Edmond Horde, her second sonne, the which Edmund deceased the 29 day of Oct. Ao. 1575, and shee being ye daughter of Thomas Roberde of Wylesdon, in MDX., Esq., latc the wife of Sir Laurence Taylare, of Duddington, in the co. of Huntingdon, Knt. and before wyffe unto Allen Horde of ye Middle Temple, Esq., and Bencher there - ye years of her age was lxx, and decd. xi Maye, Ao. 1577."
Arms: Three pheons, in chief a greybound current (Roberts)
Below this, a man in a gown, with a woman praying; behind the man are three sons kneeling, behind the woman three daughters.
Over the former:-
Arthur Hord, Alyn Hord, Edmund Hord'
Over the latter:-
'Dorothe Hord, Elizabeth Hord, Anne Hord.'
Arms : Quarterly of four: 1. and 4. Hord; 2. Perell; 3. Stapleton; in the centre, a fleur de lis for difference."

Horde Arms
Horde Arms
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum

[Dorothy's second husband had in fact been Sir Lawrence Taylard (Click here for the source for the Taylard spelling.) of Diddington otherwise Doddington, Hunts., born 25 December 1498, sometime Member of Parliament and Sheriff of Huntingdonshire in 1546. His first wife Margaret, a member of the staunchly Catholic Mordaunt family, died in 1556. He too was a member of the Middle Temple, having been admitted in 1520, and he died intestate for Letters of Administration of his estate to be granted in 1573.]

The Survey of the Parish of Ewell undertaken in 1577 reports the second largest landowner to have been Elizabeth Horde of Fitznell, holding 252 acres. Edmund, son of Alan Hord, who died in 1575 is assumed to have been the purchaser of Fitznells and this lady could have been his relict.

The manor appears to have passed to Arthur Hord, of Ewell after a life tenancy enjoyed by his mother Elizabeth, relict of the Edmund who had died in 1575. In A Short History of Ewell and Nonsuch, Cloudesley S Willis tells us: - "In 1577 Elizabeth Horde, a widow with property, dwelt at Fitznell's described as 'the Mannour House of Fennell'. Her corn mill which bore the same name was the present Upper Mill." During 1579, John Smyth, minister of Ewell in Surrey, gave an acquittance (a release or a receipt) for a pension paid to him by Allan and Elizabeth Horde who were possibly acting in respect of the late Edmund's estate.

Arthur Hord married Elizabeth Dunston of Newbury, Berks. After Arthur 'of Ewell' died 'possessed of divers lands in Ewell and Epsom' his widow married secondly John Palk.

Before 1584, Arthur's mother, the widowed Elizabeth Hord, had been married again, to Cuthbert Browne. As Elizabeth Hord, widow, her name appeared in the 1577 Diocesan Return of Recusants: with the remarks - "She refuseth to receive the communion, and cometh seldom to church. She is thought to be better worth than tenne pounds in goodes." Mrs Elizabeth Browne, gentlewoman, wife of Cuthbert Browne, had been indicted at Guildford as a recusant [one who refused to attend services of the Church of England] - in common with the Saunders of Ewell. Dr Ridley mentioned her as a recusant again in 1591.

Although there was a dispute in Chancery over title to Hord land in Epsom and Ewell, Fitznell's descended to Thomas Hord, son and heir to Arthur, who was 'seised of the manor' in 1635. Thomas, 'of Islington', had married Elizabeth, daughter of William Phillips from Staffordshire.

The three-gabled block to the left of the present Fitznell's Manor house as depicted above was added by the Hord family about this time. Building listed Grade 2 - Surrey Historic Environment Record HER7647.

In 1639 Thomas Horde settled the real estate upon his son, William, in tail male [The estate can only pass to male heirs].

A Thomas Hord, son of William was baptised at Ewell on 30 December 1640, and one bearing that name finally conveyed the manor to Jane Hope, widow, during 1662. He was, however, named 'of Ewell' in a private Act of Parliament two years later.

Subsequently, John Harvey and Mary, his wife, quit-claimed an annual rent in the manor to Thomas Turgis, warranting it against themselves and all other claimants for Edmund and Thomas Horde, deceased.

Brian Bouchard © 2011

Lady Berkeley
Lady Berkeley
Rooths House
Rooth's House
Singeing Beard
Singeing Beard
Chamiers of Epsom
Chamiers Epsom
Woodcote Park
Woodcote Park
Rev. Boucher
Rev. Boucher
Rev. Parkhurst
Rev. Parkhurst