Line Drawing of an attempted Highway Robbery

Richardson Flyer - click image to enlarge
Richardson Flyer - click image to enlarge.

In late 1833 and early 1834 there had been a spate of daring and violent highway robberies which causes considerable alarm locally. The attacks culminated in the death in February 1834 of John Richardson who was returning to his home in Bletchingly from the corn market in Epsom. A large reward was offered for information of the murderers which led to upwards of 30 people, from all over London and the South East of England, being taken into custody and questioned.

The atrocious murder
Mr John Richardson
Purcell's Gap, near Epsom

A Contemporary Verse

Line drawing of the robbery and murder
T'was near the town of Epsom - oh dreadful to relate !
A murder was committed, which I to you now state.
Unfort'nate Mr Richardson, as riding all alone,
Was by blood-thirsty villains most barbarously slain.
Undaunted did this brave man fire, when him they did stop,
But at that very instant he was kill'd by a fatal shot !
They next ransack'd his pockets, and took both notes and gold,
Then left him welt'ring in his blood, quite lifeless and cold.
When presently, West the carrier, drove up with all speed,
But, alas ! not in time to prevent the fatal deed.
West took him off the ground, while reeking in his gore,
And to the Surrey Yeoman Inn, mournfully he bore.
The sad news flew like lightning the country all around,
And two hundred pounds offer'd, if thevillians were found ;
Likewise the good King's pardon, and one hundred pounds more
To any who could tell, except the actual murderer.
But, oh ! What grief and misery awaits his dearest wife !
When she heard the fearful news, it nearly cost here life.
She clasp'd her orphan children, and press'd them to her heart,
And kneeling pray'd to Heav'n, its blessing to impart.
Let's hope the cruel actors of this most horrid deed,
May be brought too the bar of Justice there for to plead,
And meet the fatal punishment they richly deserve,
As a warning to all who from paths of virtue swerve.

The murder was eventually caught and confessed to his crime but only after being sentenced to be hung for a crime committed two years earlier. Here is a selection of contemporary newspaper reports about the murder.


Click on the date to jump to the relevant entry

28 February 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
1 March 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
3 March 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
4 March 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
5 March 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
6 March 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
10 March 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
9 April 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
14 April 1834 (The Morning Chronicle)
1 August 1834 (The Times)


The Morning Chronicle, Friday, 28 February 1834


An extraordinary sensation of horror and alarm has been produced at Epsom, Banstead and Ewell, and has extended itself far and wide, in consequence of a daring and deliberate murder committed about half-past six o'clock on Wednesday evening, upon the person of Mr. John Richardson, steward to John Perkins, Esq., of Bletchingly, Surrey. The unfortunate deceased had come over in the morning from Bletchingly to attend Epsom Corn market, as had been his almost invariable practice since the establishment of this market, about a year back. He put up, as usual, at the King's Head; and he is known in the course of the day to have received a sum of £23.3s. off Mr. Stokes, of Ewell This money, it was ascertained in the course of yesterday, by Mr. Stokes coming forward and making a deposition before the Magistrates, consisted of a £10 note and two £5, Bank of England notes, three sovereigns and three shillings. Of these notes, Mr. Stokes is only enabled to give the number of one, and that is a £5 note, the number of which is 39,583. It does not appear, as far as can be ascertained at present, that the deceased received any other moneys. After the market was over he returned to the King's Head, and there dined at the ordinary, but left soon after to meet a gentleman at the Spread Eagle, with whom, however, he only took a single glass of wine; and returning thence to the King's Head. He ordered out his gig, and started for Bletchingly about six o'clock. The spot where the foul assassins were lying in wait for him, is about midway between Epsom and Banstead, and distant about half a mile North-east from the Grand Racing Stand. The deceased had safely passed along the cross road which runs along the Northern skirt of the Epsom Downs, and had entered a narrow lane, in which before proceedings more than 300 yards he comes to a deep hollow, known as Purcell's Gap. The ascent from this is by a remarkably steep although short hill, and it is near the brow of this hill that the foul deed was perpetrated. A spot more secluded, or better adapted in every respect for the perpetration of a deadly crime, could hardly be imagined. There is no house in any direction nearer than a mile, and the country all around being remarkably open, consisting for the most part of downs and sheep-walks, the facilities for escape are very great. The deceased must necessarily have walked his horse up the hill leading from out the hollow towards Banstead - a circumstance which, no doubt, led to the selection by the assassins of that particular part of the lane. It was very near the brow of the hill that the murder was committed.

It is supposed that one of the two men (for that there were two is proved beyond doubt) seized hold of the horse's head, while the other came up to the side of the gig, and demanded the deceased's money. The deceased always traveled with loaded pistols, and it is believed he replied to the demand by firing at one or other of the villains, but missed his aim, and that the ruffian by the side of the chaise instantly fired his pistol, which unhappily took a fatal effect. That the pistol was fired by the villain who stood on the near side of the chaise is evident from the direction the ball took, it having grazed the left arm, and passing sideway through the body missed the heart, but perforated the lungs, and the ball was found lodged against the blade bone of the right shoulder. Death must have been almost instantaneous. Mr. West, carrier between London, Ewell, and Banstead was approaching the spot at the time, and distinctly heard the reports of the two pistols, and heard the deceased utter an exclamation. He also saw the two men, who at first were approaching towards him; but on seeing him, ran off in a different direction. The deceased breathed his last, just as he got up, and he placed him in his cart and carried him to the sign of the Surrey Yeoman, at Banstead. Information was instantly sent off by express of the occurrence to Messrs. Everest and Harding, Solicitors, at Epsom, and also Clerks to the Magistrates acting for that division of the county. A Meeting of the neighbouring Magistrates was convened instanter, and it was simultaneously agreed that a reward of £100 should be immediately offered. The intelligence of the melancholy event spread rapidly, and produced one common feeling, in every class, of deep regret for the loss of one so generally and deservedly respected, and desire for the apprehension of the perpetrators of this dreadful murder.

At nine o'clock at night Mr. Gosse, a resident Magistrate, accompanied by Mr. Harding, of the firm of Messrs. Everest and Harding, went in a post chaise over to Banstead, to view the spot where the murder was committed, and to investigate its circumstances. Late as it was, they examined six witnesses that evening, and yesterday 14 more were examined before Messrs. Goss, Northey, and Trotter, Magistrates for the county. The evidence thus taken, it is thought prudent to keep secret, for the present; but thus much may be stated, that it points directly to the two individuals originally suspected; and as the county is being scoured in every direction, sanguine hopes are entertained that not many, even if one day should elapse, before the murderers are apprehended. Five men were apprehended in the course of yesterday, on suspicion; and of these, after an examination before Messrs. Gosse, Northey and Trotter, four were discharged; and the fifth is detained - not on suspicion of being implicated in the murder - but as a rogue and vagabond, and on suspicion of having stolen property in his possession. He is at present in Epsom Cage, but will be sent in the course of the day to Horsemonger Lane Gaol. Besides the original reward of £100 offered by the Magistrates, John Perkins, Esq., yesterday communicated to Mr. Everest his wish, that an additional £100 should be offered in his name. Baron Tessier, who is Chairman of the Magistrates for the division of the county, yesterday came up to London, for the purpose of seeing the Home Secretary on the subject; but the result of the interview was not known, when the Reporter left Epsom at eight o'clock last evening. It is a most extraordinary circumstance connected with the dreadful case, that the deceased himself saw, in passing over Walton Heath on the morning of the day, on his way to the market, the very two men who are strongly suspected to be the murderers. The taller of the two had a smock frock on, and the wind blowing strongly at the time, pressed the frock so closely against the body of the man, that the deceased, who had a suspicion of their characters, saw, or fancied he saw, the clear outline of a horse pistol. He mentioned the circumstance to the too-taker, at the Tadworth Gate, and advised him to keep a sharp look-out after the fellows, as he thought they were after no good. The toll-gate keeper has been examined before the magistrates, and states that he did so notice the men, that he should be able to identify them the instant he saw them. His description of the men tallies with that given by West, the carrier. The deceased, it appeared from the evidence taken before the Magistrates, likewise mentioned the circumstance at Epsom to Mr. Butcher, a builder and auctioneer, and also to his brother, and made use, in the hearing of both, to the remarkable expression, "If you hear of my being robbed or murdered, you will know who did it."

Of the two pistols which the deceased had in his possession when he left Epsom, one is missing, and is supposed to have been carried off by the murderers. The other was found loaded in his coat pocket. Mr. Butcher says the deceased had repeatedly said he would never suffer himself to be robbed by two men, and that he always traveled at dark with a loaded pistol in one hand, and the reins in the other. At the entrance of the lane, where the murder was committed, and distant from the spot only about 300 yards, Mr. Hart, solicitor, of Reigate, was, about three months back, stopped in his gig by four armed men wearing smock frocks, and robbed of a considerable sum of money. The deceased was a remarkably fine florid complexioned man, about 40 years old, and has left a wife and sic children, and his wife advanced in pregnancy.


At two o'clock yesterday afternoon, Mr. Carter, of Kingston, one of the Coroners of the County, arrived at Banstead, and a respectable Jury, principally consisting of farmers, having been impaneled at the Surrey Yeoman's Arms, the following brief evidence was taken touching the death of the unfortunate deceased:- The body was lying in an upper room of the house, where it was viewed by the Jury.
James West, carrier, of Banstead, deposed, that on Wednesday evening, about half-past six o'clock, he was coming from Ewell to Banstead, in his cart, having Mr. Batchelor riding with him in front; when half-way up the hill leading towards Banstead, on the Ewell road, he heard the report of two pistols, and almost immediately afterwards saw two men in the field to the left of the road, and behind which field, at a distance of about 100 yards from the road, is a small coppice wood, known as the "Rose Bushes." When first he saw them, they were coming from the Banstead and Epsom road towards him; At that moment he heard a faint cry of "Lord have mercy upon me." He instantly jumped out of the cart, and ran towards the men, who instantly turned and ran off along the Rose Bushes Wood, towards Epsom, and before he could get to the brow of the hill, they were out of sight. One was about 5 feet 10 or 11 inches high, and the other half a head shorter. Upon going to the place where he heard the exclamation, he found a horse and gig standing still near the top of the hill, and by the near side the deceased was lying on his back, with his head towards the descent of the hill. The deceased, on his attempting to raise him, heaved a deep sign, and immediately expired. He placed him in his cart, and had him conveyed to the place where the body now lies.

The precise spot where the murder was committed has been marked out by the villagers, they having cut away the turf of the embankment on that side of the road which separates the carriage road from the foot-way, so as to form a rude cross.

Mr. Peake, surgeon, of Epsom, proved that the lungs had been perforated by a pistol ball, which ball had rested against the bone of the right shoulder, and that the wound thus inflicted was the cause of death.

The Coroner briefly addressed the Jury, stating the he thought, as the Magistrates of the vicinity were searching into the matter with the greatest diligence, it would be better for the ends of justice that he should pursue the investigation no further, but leave it to the Jury to return, as they safely might do on the evidence adduced, a verdict that the deceased was murdered by two men, whose names were unknown.

The Jury coincided in the view taken by the Coroner, and returned a verdict accordingly.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Saturday, 1 March 1834


We regret to be under the necessity of announcing, that the strong hopes which existed of the immediate apprehension of the murderers of this unfortunate gentleman, had not, up to a late hour last night, been realised, but it is believed that a clue has been obtained which must, before long, lead to their detection. It was yesterday morning currently reported at Epsom and the neighbourhood, that Mrs. Richardson, who is in the sixth month of her pregnancy, had, from the shock she had received, been prematurely seized with the pangs of labour, and had, after giving birth to a dead infant, died in the course of the night. The account was said to have been brought by Mr Perkins Shepherd, in the first instance, and was so strongly corroborated by other persons in the course of the morning, that it was generally believed, even by the magistrates and surrounding gentry, to be undoubtedly true. About four o'clock in the afternoon, Mr Trotter, the magistrate, who is nearly related to John Perkins, Esq., of Bletchingly, determined on sending over his groom on horseback, to make inquiries, and Mr. Joseph Richardson, of Ashtead, near Epsom, the brother of the deceased, also started on horseback near the same time. The latter returned first, and brought with him the gratifying intelligence that the rumour was wholly false, and that Mrs. Richardson was as well as, under the cruelly painful circumstances of her recent bereavement, could be hoped.

The Magistrates and Gentry have made, & are making, extraordinary exertions to apprehend the murderers. On the Wednesday night, within an hour after the fatal intelligence had reached Epsom by express, messengers were sent off to all the neighbouring towns and villages, with instructions to caution the shopkeepers not to change any notes for strangers; but if any were offered, either to stop the party or give immediate information to the nearest constable or Magistrate. Posting-bills were also ordered to be immediately printed, and by day-break on the following morning they were stuck up in conspicuous places for 20 miles round. By three o'clock in the morning full information of all the evidence, taken up to a late hour the preceding evening, was in the possession of the Commissioners of the Metropolitan Police, having been sent up by the Magistrates; and it was thence rapidly spread through all the ramifications of that numerous and active body, the new Police. On the Thursday afternoon, as soon as the Magistrates had learnt from Mr. Stone, maltster, of Leatherhead, the number of the £5 Bank note he paid the deceased, a second express was sent up to London, with instructions to stop payment of the note at the Bank of England, and every London banking-house: fresh bills were also issued, notifying this fact, and likewise that the reward had been increased to £200.

At the interview, Baron Tessier, the Chairman of the Magistrates acting for the Epsom division of the county, had on Thursday afternoon with Lord Melbourne, his Lordship, after hearing an official statement from the Baron of the circumstances of this atrocious murder and of the general feeling of alarm and of personal insecurity which it had produced, promised to recommend to his Majesty the granting a free pardon to the accomplice upon the usual conditions. It is also confidently hoped in the neighbourhood that the Government will add to the reward already offered.

The deceased, it is clear, must have been dragged out of the gig after the fatal wound was inflicted, and so eager were his assassins to possess themselves of this property, that, instead of unbuttoning his breeches pockets, they literally tore them open down the side seams, while he was lying on his back on the road. The gold he had in a silk net purse, and the notes in a large red merchants' pocket-book. The purse emptied of its contents was found in the small coppice wood, known as the Rose Bushes, into which the murderers were seen to retreat by West the carrier, but of the pocket-book no trace has been discovered. The deceased had a silver watch in his fob worth about £6. which the murderers did not meddle with, probably being disturbed by hearing the approach of West's cart. The deceased, it was yesterday ascertained, usually carried two pairs of loaded pistols about him. One pair large, and such as are generally used for duelling, in his outer coat pockets, and a smaller pair in his waistcoat pockets. One of the large pair the assassins are known to have possessed themselves of, and it was thought they had also taken the smaller pair, but on the return of Mr. Joseph Richardson from Bletchingly last night, it was ascertained he had left the smaller pair at home, a thing very unusual for him to do.

In compliance with the request made by Baron Tessier at his interview with Lord Melbourne, an experienced Bow-street Officer has been sent down, and, at a late hour yesterday afternoon, was pursuing a scent which is believed to be the true one; and if this happily should prove to be the case, there is little doubt but that the men will be in custody within twenty-four hours. Beckley, the toll-taker at the Tadworth Gate, states that he is confident he can identify the two men he saw pass through, from off Walton Heath. The Magistrates are anxious to ascertain whether any shopkeeper may have recently sold a horse pistol to a stranger, as information on that head might, in their opinion, led to important results. They also wish, that any person offering a duelling pistol for sale may be stopped, unless able to give a good account for its possession. The direction that the men took after the murder is unknown, West having only traced them as far as the Rose Bushes Wood, when he turned back, being afraid to encounter two men who he had good reason to believe had loaded pistols about their persons. Batchelor, who was riding in the front of West's cart, either from fear, or apathy, never once stirred, or offered the slightest assistance towards the apprehension of the assassins. There is no reason to suppose that the dresses of the murderers are at all spotted or stained with the blood of their victim, as it appears scarcely any blood flowed from the wound, the haemorrhage having been almost wholly internal. The deceased was a remarkably fine looking man, standing 6 feet 2 inches high, and stout in proportion. His son, a little boy about five years old, was present at the inquest. He is a complete miniature of his father, and, happily for himself, too young to feel conscious of the full extent of the great and irreparable loss he has sustained. On Thursday night, as late as ten o'clock, in consequence of the information received, Mr. Harding, of the firm of Everest and Harding, proceeded in a post-chaise to Leatherhead, accompanied by the Bow-street officer and Mr. Everest's groom, and after much difficulty, they found the two men of whom they were in pursuit in bed at a low beer-house. After a full examination it turned out they were not the parties wanted, and they were allowed to return to their pillows.

Very many highway robberies have, within the last six months, been committed between Epsom and Reigate, and, from all the descriptions there is every reason to believe the murderers in this case have been concerned in the former outrages.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Monday, 3 March 1834


The sanguine hopes which were entertained of the immediate apprehension of the perpetrators of this atrocious murder had not, when we left Epsom at a late hour on Saturday night, been realized; and we regret to state, that there does not appear at present any clue by which it may be presumed that the murderers of this unfortunate gentleman (who was much esteemed by a numerous and respectable circle of friends), will, ere long, be discovered. In consequence of the interview which Baron Tessier, the Chairman of the Magistrates acting for the Epsom Division had, on Thursday, with Lord Melbourne on the melancholy subject, a communication was received early on Saturday morning, by the authorities at Epsom, from the Home Office, which stated that his Majesty had been graciously pleased to grant a free pardon to the accomplice who should discover the actual perpetrator of the murder, and that the Government had consented to add an additional £100 to the reward already offered. Immediately on the receipt of this intelligence, placards were printed and extensively circulated for many miles round the country, offering Three Hundred Pounds reward for the apprehension of the party, the Magistrates, as has already been stated, consenting to give £100, and John Perkins, Esq., £100. The excitement which the murder created continues unabated at Epsom, Banstead, Ewell &c. Scarcely any one thinks of business, the minds of the inhabitants being wholly occupied with the lamentable fate of the murdered gentleman. The spot where Mr. Richardson met his death has been viewed by almost every person from far and near. On Friday, Mr. Carter, the Coroner, issued his warrant for the burial of the deceased, which was forwarded to Mr. W. Butcher, the undertaker, at Epsom, and in the course of the day the body was removed from the Surrey Yeoman's Arms, to the house of the brother of the deceased, situate at Ashstead, a short distance from Epsom; but previous to the interment it is the intention of the Magistrates to have the ball extracted. This we understand has been decided upon in order to ascertain if the ball corresponds with the one left in the remaining pistol belonging to Mr. Richardson, and if such should prove the fact, then the presumption would be that the villains wrenched the pistol from their victim's hands, and shot him with his own weapon. Such, however, one hardly be supposed to be the fact as several persons have positively stated that they distinctly heard the discharge of two pistols, and it is generally believed, and of which we are of the opinion there cannot be a doubt, that Mr. Richardson fired immediately on his money being demanded, and that the next instant he received a fatal ball at the hands of one of his assassins. The unfortunate gentleman, it appears, wore white top-coat, a black body-one, black waistcoat, and corduroy breeches, and top-boots. Half-way between the wrist and the elbow, on the left arm of the great coat, is a slight graze of the ball, which passed through the under part of the muscle of the arm, and then entered the lungs. It is evident that the unfortunate gentleman must have raised his left arm, as if to shield himself from the aim of his murderer: for in no other way can the graze of the ball below the elbow be accounted for. The breeches were apparently very strong, and must have required no trifling exertion to tear them in the manner they are torn, to get at the money. The sister of the deceased, on hearing of the murder, was so dreadfully affected by the intelligence, that she has since been subject to hysterical fits, from which, it is feared, the most serious results will ensue. The unhappy lady of the deceased remains in a distressing condition. On our arrival at Epsom, on Saturday morning, we ascertained that Baron Tessier, Mr. Goss, and the other Magistrates, together with Goddard, the Bow-street officer, & several of the Police force, had from an early hour been unremitting in their exertions to find some clue by which the murderers might be apprehended. West, the carrier, and Bachelor, who accompanied him in a cart, were again closetted with the Magistrates for some time. The examination was strictly private, but we were informed that they only have their previous testimony more minutely than at a former investigation. They it will be recollected, also saw the two assassins in the distance, but were afraid to encounter them. We understand that the Magistrates much regretted that they did not give an immediate alarm, as it was possible some one might have heard them, either at Lord Arden's or Mr. Precival's whose residence were not far distant, for in all probability had they done so, assistance would have arrived, and the coppice been surrounded by the servants of the two establishments, and the villains thwarted in their attempt to escape. At the close of their examination policeman 178, of the H division, arrived with the young man, Walker, who had been remanded at Lambeth-street Office on suspicion of being concerned in the murder. It then appeared that the policeman had been to Banstead on the previous night (Friday), and had an interview with the landlord of the Surrey Yeoman's Arms, to whom he stated that he wanted some one to proceed to London in order to ascertain if Walker could be identified as one of the men who were seen to turn towards the "Rose Bushes" when the deceased was first discovered. He was referred to West's house, who was from home; the wife of West answered him from the window, to whom, it is said, the policeman asserted that he had found the duplicate of a pistol upon the prisoner Walker. This reaching the ears of Mr. Butcher, the high constable, on the following (Saturday) morning, that gentleman instantly ordered a post chaise to drive him to town, for the purpose of seeing the pistol, and ascertaining if it was the one belonging to Mr. Richardson, and which, it was supposed, had been carried away by the murderers. Mr Butcher, however, had not proceeded far on the road before he met the policeman and his prisoner, in a cab, unable to get to the end of their journey. The prisoner was smoking a pipe and was in a disgraceful state of intoxication. Mr. Butcher lost no time in conveying them to Epsom in his chaise; but it was found impossible to proceed with anything like an examination while the man was in liquor, and he was for a time confined in the Cage, but was far from sober when again taken before th Magistrates, at the dwelling of their Worships' clerks, Messrs. Harding and Everett. The prisoner repeatedly exclaimed that they had better hang him at once, and was exceedingly vociferous and violent. He denied all knowledge of the murder, and the Magistrates were quite satisfied that he was not the man. A letter was then addressed to Mr. Walker, of Lambeth-street, and directions given to the policeman to convey him to London. The finding of a duplicate for a pistol on the man proved to be a fabrication; although it is positively asserted by several persons that the policeman stated such to be the fact. In reply to questions put to the policeman respecting the intoxication of his prisoner, he said that he was obliged to make the man drunk, the better to get him on his journey, as he was occasionally very obstreperous. This we believe did not satisfy the Magistrates, who expressed their sense of the policeman's conduct in their letter to Mr. Walker, of Lambeth-street. Having heard that Watts, the postman of Epsom, had communicated some facts to various persons, we made inquiries respecting them when it appeared that about ten o'clock on the morning of the murder he saw two men lurking about Walton Heath, adjoining Banstead. One of the men wore a round frock coat and was taller than his companion, who was dressed in a dark coat. The tall one asked him the way to Reigate, and it being the third time that the same man had made the like inquiry, he asked him the reason why he did not continue in the main road, and not wander about the country as he was then doing. The stranger then left him, and stopped and whistled for his companion, who immediately came up, and they then both disappeared. He could identify the men again, who he believed were Londoners. The description, we are informed, exactly corresponds with that given of the men who were seen by West and Bachelor. This information having, at a subsequent period of the day, reached the Magistracy, the postman was ordered to attend before Baron Tesseri, when the witness repeated the above statement. The man Walker was brought into the presence of the postman, who was confident that he was not one of the men he saw lurking about Walton Heath. --- A woman (it is said) can also identify the men who were seen leaving the wood after the murder was committed. It was rumoured at Epsom in the course of the day, that the two men had been stopped at Addescombe, near Croydon, while endeavouring to get cash for the £5 note taken from the deceased, but we could not trace it to any authentic source. Various other rumours relating to the capture of the murderers were also afloat, but they were not credited by the authorities at Epsom, who, up to the time that we left that place, had not received any such ratifying intelligence. The missing pistol, however, belonging to Mr. Richardson, and of which so much had been said, was found by some persons at Ewell, nearly three miles from the place where the murder was committed; and the information having reached one of the Magistrate's clerks, it was speedily procured and conveyed to Baron Tessier, just as we were leaving Epsom. From many circumstances, it is firmly believed that the murderers form part of a gang who have long infested that part of the country, among whom are included some of the "Thimble and Pea" gentry. At the time of the robbery of Mr. Hart, previously alluded to, three men took up their quarters at the Eight Bells, at Ewell, where they remained several days, going out all day, and not returning till night. On the day they left the Eight Bells, they called at a public-house at Epsom, where they played a game at cards, and then went away. In an hour after Mr. Hart was stopped and robbed of considerable property, and the three men were never afterwards seen.


The fellow pistol belonging to Mr. Richardson was found yesterday afternoon by two women, who were picking up wood, at about half-past three, in a field within 150 yards of the Half Mile Bush, in the Epsom turnpike road. The two murderers were seen by Mrs. Garcon, of Ewell, coming from the direction where the pistol was found, in a very exhausted state, about 10 minutes after seven on the evening of the murder. Where the pistol was found is about one mile and three quarters from the place where the murder was committed. Two men, answering the description, went from London on the Nottingham coach to within 30 or 40 miles of Nottingham, where they got off, and turned up a right hand road.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Tuesday, 4 March 1834


Yesterday at Union Hall two men, named James Hill and John Reeves, were brought to this office in custody of Jefferson and Burridge, the officers, on suspicion of being concerned in the murder of Mr. Richardson, of Bletchingley. Both the prisoners live in the immediate neighbourhood of Seven Oaks, Kent, and it was reported that they were absent from their usual haunts about the period the murder at Banstead was committed. They were apprehended at Seven Oaks on Saturday. Hill, on being questioned, gave an account of his time, and said he was at the King and Queen, Tubb's Hill, near Seven Oaks, on the day of the murder. He denied that he had even been in the county of Surrey, and said he did not know where Banstead was situated. He had been out of work for the last eighteen months. He admitted having been acquainted with a man, named Tilling, who was transported, for highway robbery, at the last Surrey Assizes. Mr. Warner, who is exerting himself to discover the perpetrators of the murder, said he should be able to show that Hill was at a place called Bracestead on the day subsequent to that on which the murder was committed, though he denied that fact himself. Reeves then accounted for his time, and said he had not been near Epsom or Banstead. A brown smock frock, belonging to the prisoner, was produced, which had several spots of blood on the inside, and was also rent at one side, as if done in a struggle. He accounted for the marks of blood by saying that during the last summer his nose used frequently to burst out bleeding, and on those occasions he was in the habit of wiping it away with the inside of the garment.

On examining the prisoner's hat, a part of the front underneath the crown had the appearance of being perforated by a ball, and the orifice was rudely mended by another piece of an old hat being sewn underneath the hole. In accounting for this circumstance the prisoner said that while asleep at the King and Queen beer-shop, in leaning his head over a charcoal fire, his hat fell off and a hole was burnt in it. The smock-frock got torn while larking with some of his acquaintances. Mr. Warner produced a piece of linen with a quantity of blood upon it, which was found concealed underneath a hurdle in the back of the premises where the prisoners were apprehended. The linen was wrapped up in an old waistcoat, and the blood had all the appearance of being recently upon it. The prisoners disclaimed any knowledge of either article. - A woman, named Raffey, who lives with the prisoner, partly corroborated Hill's statement and partly contradicted it. In reply to Mr. Warner, she said that she did not say to a man in Mr. Blackman's employ that she knew the man who did it, and that there were spots of blood visible in the front part of his smock-frock if it was turned inside out. Neither did she state in a conversation with any person, that she had shot a man herself at a fair held in Sussex, three or four years back.

Mr. Warner said that he should be prepared with evidence to prove that the woman Raffey had made those statements voluntarily since the murder of Mr. Richardson, although she now thought proper to deny the facts. The three prisoners were then remanded until Friday. Although the two male prisoners may not have been concerned in the late murder at Banstead, yet it is strongly suspected that they form part of a gang who have been committing highway robberies and other depredation in the counties of Kent and Surrey.

In the course of the day Thomas Cottrell was sent from this office to Epsom, on suspicion of having been one of the two men who attacked and murdered Mr. Richardson. The prisoner, who is known to be a desperate fellow, was taken into custody to Mr. Superintendent Dixon of the G Division and two policemen, at a house in Bradfont Place, Hoxton. He made a resistance, and swore that they should not take him alive, at the same time rushing towards a table upon which some knives were lying; he was, however, secured. He answers the description of the taller man in the handbills offering the reward; and it was stated that he was one of the parties concerned in the robbery of the clergyman's house in Surrey, a few years back, when the servants were locked up in the coal-cellar. There were marks of blood on a handkerchief found in his possession when taken.

During the whole of Sunday, the parish of Deptford was thrown into a state of excitement, in consequence of two men having been lodged in the Cage upon suspicion of being concerned in the murder of Mr. Richardson, at Epsom. It appears that a parochial constable named Brown, had received intelligence that the two men (who are well known in Deptford as collectors of bones, rags &c., and suspicious characters) had borrowed a cart to proceed to Epsom, on Wednesday, and had not returned the vehicle. On enquiry being made of these men's wives, it was ascertained that their husbands had not returned to their homes. Brown immediately repaired to Corydon - where the men, it was said, were gone - and he succeeded in tracing and taking them in their beds. They were immediately conveyed to Deptford, and yesterday (Monday) taken before Mr., Gordon and other Magistrates holding a Petty Sessions at the Swan Inn. It was then stated that the prisoners were seen early on Thursday morning by Thomas Hill, a lock-man on the Croydon Canal, of whom they requested a light of their pipes, and an hour afterwards by Burgess, a constable at New Cross. The men answered the description of the murderers, and it was thought they had crossed the country from Jewell and Cheam to Croydon and then come down the canal, upon the banks of which they had slept. The men denied the accusation, and told the Magistrates that they could give a satisfactory account of where they had been, and what they had been doing. It was ultimately decided, that the men should remain in the custody of Mr. Thomas, an Inspector of Police, until inquiries should be made into the truth of their assertions.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Wednesday, 5 March 1834

The Murder of Mr. Richardson

On Sunday morning, in consequence of information received, Mr. Harding, the Magistrate of Surrey, accompanied by Goddard, the Bow street officer, went in search of a man of the name of Cheesely. They searched several houses between Epsom and Mersham, but without success. They then waited on Sir Wm. Joliffe, Bart., who instantly summoned his keepers, and from the clue they gave Mr. Harding and Goddard succeeded in securing Cheesely, at half-past two o'clock in the afternoon. He was found in a hut, down a path leading to Mersham, where he was discovered in bed, having been out all night. Nothing has, however, transpired to fix upon him any share of this dreadful murder.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Thursday, 6 March 1834

The Murder of Mr. Richardson

Yesterday a man named John Woodhill was charged at Union Hall, by policeman Plant, on suspicion of being converned in the above murder. Plant said that the man Cottrell, who was apprehended on Saturday and sent to Epsom, said, on being taken into custody, that if he was guilty of the murder, so also was John Woodhill. It appeared that they were close companions, but Woodhill denied having been at Epsom since the races. The Magistrates directed that he should be taken to Epsom.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Monday, 10 March 1834

The Murder of Mr. Richardson at Epsom

It is much to be regretted that up to a late hour on Saturday no clue had been obtained nor information received by the authorities at Epsom, which could at all lead to the supposition that the murderers of Mr. Richardson would soon be discovered and brought to condign punishment. All the exertions of the magistracy and gentry, aided by the zealous co-operation of many of the London and local officers, have hitherto failed in bringing the villains to justice; and it is now much feared that nothing but some fortuitous circumstance, or the impeachment of an accomplice, will bring the party to light. A report reached Epsom on Saturday morning that a man had confessed to the murder at Croydon, and afterwards terminated his existence by shooting himself; but the information could not be traced to any authentic source, nor was it in the slightest degree credited by the authorities. The magistrates, Baron Tessier and Messrs. Gosse and Trotter, who have been indefatigable in their endeavours to trace the murderers, appear now to have given up all hopes of success. A communication to such effect, it is understood, was forwarded to the Home Office, and since then all the London officers have been recalled to their respective duties in town. Epsom and its vicinity have consequently resumed their former quiet state; but the atrocious deed, committed upon an individual so universally respected and esteemed, still forms the subject of deep regret and conversation among all classes. The widow and five children of the murdered gentleman have now become the objects of consideration, and a subscription has been commenced for their relief. Subscription books have been left at Mr. Bailey's, draper, at Epsom and at Messrs. Ladbrooke and Co.'s bankers in London; also at Ewell, and other places. It is said that about £50 has already been raised at Epsom; and sanguine hopes are entertained that a sufficient amount will be collected to place the family beyond the reach of want. The funeral of Mr. Richardson took place on Tuesday, at Ashtead Church, in the presence of nearly one thousand spectators. The body was conveyed from the house of the brother of the deceased, and between twenty and thirty persons, relations and friends, joined in the mournful procession. On the coffin being conveyed into Ashtead Church the edifice became instantly crowded, and during the solemn service numbers were observed to shed tears. The unhappy widow remained at the house of her brother-in-law, at Ashtead, during the performance of the last rites to her late husband, where she still continues. Her grief, it is said, on the body being removed, was excessive. On the London officers leaving Epsom they were desired by the Magistrates to continue their exertions in town, as it was not improbable that the murderers wee concealed in London. The man Cottrell who was apprehended on Saturday week and conveyed to Epsom, underwent an examination at the Spread Eagle, which lasted several hours, and although nothing transpired to confirm the suspicion that he was concerned in the murder, yet there was sufficient evidence to warrant his detention on other charges of highway robbery, and he will be re-examined next Tuesday. His examination gave a clue to others concerned in numerous highway robberies, and one man who was present when Mr. Hart was stopped and robbed, has been so clearly described, that his apprehension by Tuesday is considered almost certain. A man was apprehended at Portsmouth on suspicion of the murder. On being conveyed before a Magistrate, the prisoner stated that on the night of the murder he slept at Leatherhead, about four miles from Epsom, and was so ill in the course of the afternoon of that day, that he retired to bed by six o'clock. This was communicated to the Epsom Magistrates, who instituted inquiries at Leatherhead on Friday, and ascertained the man's statement to be perfectly correct. Several other men have been examined both by the London and Epsom Magistrates; but after strict and patient investigations, they were believed not to be the real persons, and they were discharged. Two or three well-known characters, however, still remain in custody at Horsemonger Lane on suspicion of being concerned in the murder, although it is feared they are not the men; but another examination is deemed necessary before they are allowed to go at large.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Wednesday, 9 April 1834



During the last month the Magistrates at Epsom have received several anonymous letters relative to the above murder, the whole of which pointed out two men of the name of Child as being the parties who actually perpetrated the dreadful dead. No attention was for some days paid by the Magistrates to these communications, but, at last, from the pertinacity with which these anonymous letters were persevered in, they thought it their duty to notice them. Goddard, the Bow-street officer, was accordingly desired to make inquiries respecting the two Childs, and, in consequence, after a considerable search, he succeeded in taking them into custody; but from their statements, and the inquiries he made of the parties to whom he was directed b them, the proof was not considered strong enough against them, and they were liberated. The writers of the anonymous letters still persisted in pointing them out as delinquents, and detailed a number of additional facts in their letters to the Commissioners of the Metropolitan Police, to whom, as well as the Magistrates, they had been sent, as to determine the former to direct their instant apprehension, but on inquiry being made after them, it was found that they had deserted their usual haunts. On Sunday last, in consequence of information received by Inspectors Grossmith and Barefoot, of B division who have been indefatigable in their exertions to discover the real perpetrators of the horrid deed, proceeded in company of Inspector Marchant and Sarjeant Reynolds, of the T divisions, to West Bedfont, near Staines, and succeeded in taking them both into custody. At first they were denied, but, after a search, Harry Child was discovered hid behind one of the doors, and his brother John was taken at a house in the neighbourhood, to which he had fled on hearing of the officers being in search of him. Grossmith immediately informed Sir John Gibbon the nearest Magistrate, of their caption, who ordered them to be taken to Epsom. A cart was accordingly procured, and they were conveyed there that evening. On reaching Epsom, it was considered prudent that they should be separately confined, and John Child was taken to Leatherhead, where he was confined for the night. On Monday morning they were taken to Messrs. Everest and Harding's offices, before Baron Tessier and --- Gross, Esq., for examination, when the officers stated, that on going to the house of a Mrs. Yates, at West Bedfont (where they had received information the prisoners were to be found), and inquiring for them, they were told Harry had not been there, and that John had gone out half an hour before. Not believing this, they proceeded to search the house, and on movin a door near them, they found Harry Child behind it, within three feet of the spot they were standing on wen they made the inquiries. On laying hold of him, he at first made a violent resistance, but was soon overpowered. During their search they found a smock-frock with the right sleeve clotted with blood. Having heard the name of Lacy mentioned, they proceeded to a house close by, kept by a person of that name, where they found John Child in a small back room quietly combing his hair, although he afterwards acknowledged that he had hid himself there on hearing of the officers being in the neighbourhood. West and Bachelor, the carriers, Budge, and the other persons who saw the two men both before and ater the commission of the murder, attended Grossmith and Barefoot, the officers, also stated that on the afternoon of the 26th of February, the day on which the murder was committed, they were returning towards town from Reigate, and when within a mile and did not observe their chaise until they were close to them, when they immediately rose and came towards the chaise. Suspecting them to be after no good, the officers, for the purpose of noticing them, asked them how far they were from Bletchingly. The smaller one answered, " I don't know; but the taller one immediately said " a mile and a half." The officers then proceeded on their way, and thought no more of it until the following morning, when, hearing of the murder, they felt satisfied, from the description of the two men seen by West and the others, that the men they had seen were the murderers. On taking the prisoners into custody, they immediately recognized them to be the two men they had seen in the lane between Nutfield and Bletchingly; and on making John repeat the words "I don't know," they were satisfied he was one of the men. Harry, on being told to say "A mile and a half," did so, but evidently not in his usual tone of voice, and they, therefore, could not swear to his voice. When asked by the Magistrates where they were on the day of the murder, they said that they were the whole of the day in the neighbourhood of Staines and Egham, and mentioned the names of several persons who, they said, had seen them ther; more particularly a person of the name of Jordan, of whom they said they had purchased some turnip-tops on that day; they also denied that they had ever been at Epsom, or in the neighbourhood, in their lives. This latter statement was contradicted by Mr. Everest, the solicitor, who said, that immediately on seeing Harry, the taller one, he recognised him as having been at the last Epsom Cattle Fair with a small black pony, which he offered for sale, and which Mr. E. inquired the price. After some equivocation, he acknowledged that he was there, and also that the statement made by other persons, that they were both in August last camped on Banstead Downs and Smithen's Bottom, was true. Mr. Goss, the Magistrate, asked them whether they had been lately near Brighton? They said they had not, but their brother William, who is not in custody, had lately been in that neighbourhood. This is an important circumstance, as the only note (for £5) yet traced for those taken from the deceased, has been paid into the house of Wigney and Co., the bankers, at Brighton. After some consultation, the Magistrates remanded them for re-examination yesterday, and directed the officers in the meantime, to make inquiries of the parties and at the places mentioned by the prisoners as to the truth of their statement, and the officers immediately started for that purpose.

At nine o'clock yesterday morning, the Magistrates again assembled, when Grossmith and Barefoot stated that they had made inquiries into the truth of the prisoners' statements, and found that they were totally false, as they had not been on that day at the places named by them, and that the purchase of the turnip-tops took place three weeks previous; also, that before that time the prisoners had been very short of money, but that within the last six weeks, the prisoners, when tipsy, had offered to pay several persons a few shillings due to them, and that in doing so had displayed a number of sovereigns.

On hearing the statements of the officers, who also mentioned several important facts, which it would not be prudent at this stage of the investigation to make public, the Magistrates determined on postponing their re-examination until Saturday next, when they will be publicly examined at Union Hall Police-office, when it is hoped the writers of the anonymous letters will come forward and redeem the pledge made by them --that "If they were apprehended, and examined in public, such evidence would be produced as would leave no doubt on any mind of their being the murderers." The prisoners, who treated the charge with great levity, are about thirty years of age, and have the appearance of men who would not hesitate at committing any desperate act; they were both dressed in smock frocks, and wore knee-breeches and highlows. At twelve o'clock they were conveyed by the officers to Horsemonger-lane prison, for security. - Upwards of thirty persons have been taken into custody, and examined by the Magistrates, to whom the greatest praise is due; as also to Messrs. Everest and Harding, for their indefatigable exertions in endeavouring to trace the murderers. The statement made in some papers, that a subscription was collecting to defray the expences, is untrue, as three or four of the Magistrates in the neighbourhood have defrayed the whole of the expences, which are very considerable, and Messrs. Everest and Harding have rendered their valuable assistance gratuitously.

Back to the index

The Morning Chronicle, Monday, 14 April 1834




UNION HALL. - At an early hour this office was crowded with persons to hear the examination of Henry and John Childs, who were charged on suspicion of having murdered Mr. Richardson, at Banstead, near Epsom. Mr Gosse, one of the Epsom Magistrates, took his seat n the left of Mr. Murray, and there were several other gentlemen present in the commission of the peace. At the conclusion of the usual morning's proceedings, the prisoners, who had been brought from Horsemonger-lane Gaol, were placed at the bar. Their presence excited considerable attention from all present, the public firmly believing, from the accounts published, that the men were the perpetrators of the murder. The prisoners did not appear to heed in the slightest degree the manner in which they were scrutinized by every eye. Henry Childs is much taller than his brother, but both have fair complexions, with little or no whiskers; they were attired as countrymen, Henry having on a smock frock, and the other wearing a kind of jacket waistcoat.
MR. MURRAY asked the prisoners if their name was Child or Childs?
The prisoner John replied that he believed it was Childs.
MR. MURRAY then inquired if the prisoners knew the nature of the charge preferred against them? They said they were told the reason of their being taken into custody when they were at Epsom on Tuesday.
MR. MURRAY informed them that they had been remanded on suspicion generally.
Mr. Grossmith, and Inspector of the B Division of Police, was asked what evidence he had to bring forth in support of the charge, and he replied that he had several witnesses in attendance who saw two suspicious-looking persons, resembling the prisoners, near Epsom, on the day of the murder.
John Patrey, the toll-collector at Banstead, was then called and sworn. On being desired to look at the prisoners, the witenss stated that he never saw them before to his knowledge.
MR. MURRAY: Have either of the other witnesses seen the prisoners since they were taken into custody?
Grossmith: I believe not.
MR. MURRAY: Then let the door be closed, and remove the prisoners, that they may mix, indiscriminately among the other persons in the office, so that the witnesses may not see them at the bar.
This was complied with, and by the desire of Mr. Murray, the prisoner Henry pulled off his smock-frock, and they both put on their hats.
A man who gave his name John Walters, was then called in, and on being asked if he knew of any circumstances connected with the murder, said, that on the day previous to the commission of the act the saw two suspicious-looking men going towards Bletchingly, and on the same day he observed one of the men proceeding in the direction of Reigate. He should know them again if he saw them.
MR. MURRAY desired the witness to look among the persons in the office, that he might see if the men were present.
The witness having complied with the wish of the Magistrate, stated that he could not see them.
Mr. Pound, solicitor for the prisoners, here observed that he should have not objection for the witness to see the prisoners.
MR. MURRAY remarked that the witness merely said that he saw two men under suspicious circumstances, but he did not then recognize them in the office.
MR. GOSSE said that the prisoners must be quite aware that the account they gave of themselves was given voluntarily; and as their assertions had been proved to be false, they would see the necessity for a full investigation. It now appeared there was no further evidence, and they were discharged.
MR. MURRAY also observed, that there was good reason for their detention until that day.
THE SOLICITOR said that in the agitation of the moment the men had given a wrong account of where they were on the day of the murder. He had seven witnesses in attendance, who could satisfactorily account for their time on that day.
MR GOSSE considered that the men had brought their present situation entirely upon themselves, by not stating facts.
John Childs said that the police never went to the parties he referred to at all. He considered it a hard case to be thus treated.
MR MURRAY observed that the characters of the prisoners would not suffer for there was no evidence whatever to substantiate the charge. The accounts which had appeared respecting their apprehension were erroneous. There was, however, ample ground originally for suspicion.

The prisoner John asked what were the grounds of suspicion.
MR MURRAY said that they arose out of the circumstances that took place at the time the prisoners were captured.
Grossmith here produced the bloody smock frock.
John Childs stated that he was hit on the head with a staff, and the blood flowed profusely on to the smock-frock & other parts of his dress.
MR MURRAY inquired how the prisoners obtained their living.
They replied, that they bought potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables, at different markets, and then sold them. They added, that they were gathering turnip-tops on the day of the murder.
MR. MURRAY; Don't let me be mistaken; you are discharged without suspicion of being concerned in the murder.
John Childs: I have one favour to ask, and that is, where did the anonymous letters come from?
Grossmith: That is what we wish to know.
MR. MURRAY: I received one this morning, and, as far it goes, it is in your favour; but I regard such letters as mere waste paper. The writer of the letters to which you allude has never had the courage or the honesty to come forward.
John Childs: we have been most harshly treated since we have been in custody, and were obliged to pay for every thing we had.
MR. GOSSE: It must, sometimes happen that men will be put to certain inconvenience for the ends of justice. You are now discharged.
John Childs. Thanks to you, gentlemen; you are now satisfied we are not the men?
The prisoners then lef the office, but in a few minutes returned, when John Childs (who had been spokesman throughout the examination) told the Magistrates that they were twenty miles from home without a farthing in their pocket.
MR. MURRAY said he would order them half-a-crown out of the poor-box to help them on their way.
The Clerk then handed over the money to Childs; but previous to the departure of the men, Mr. Murray gave them to understand, that had their character stood in a more respectable light than it really, did suspicion would not have attached itself to them. The necessity therefore of having a good character was fully apparent.
The men assured the Magistrates that they obtained their living in an honest manner, after which they left the office, and joined their friends at a public-house in the vicinity.

Back to the index

The Times, 1 August 1834

The Murder of Mr Richardson
(From a Correspondent)

John Young
John Young.
This court-room sketch was found in a different publication.

The mystery that has hitherto concealed the circumstances and perpetrators of the murder of Mr John Richardson, of Bletchingly, has at last been removed by the confession of the ferocious harden villain John Young, who by this time has, in all human probability, yielded his life for a burglary, committed by him with another (whose life is to be spared) upwards of two years ago. Our readers will doubtless remember reading the details of the trail at the assizes just concluded at Winchester, when the hardened expressions and admissions of this villain, before the trail was even ended, must have prepared them for the full confession that he has since made of being one of the murderers of Mr. Richardson. There are circumstances in the career and apprehension of the villain which seem to mark a peculiarly retributive Providence in the fate which as at length overtaken him. Six years ago, at the Kingston Summer Assizes, he became witness for the Crown, and was the means of convicting three of his associates in a burglary, two of whom were hanged. He is now himself hanged on the evidence of an accomplice with him on another burglary. The case of burglary in which he was admitted approver, was of the most aggravated kind. They had broken, at the dead of a winter's night, into the retired residence of the Rev. Mr. Woodroofe, at Moulsey, dragged the clergyman and his wife from their beds, tied their hands behind, and then thrust the, with nothing but their night clothes on, into the cellar. The domestics were afterwards, in the same way, dragged to this dark chilly place of imprisonment. The application for some clothing for protection from the cold was met with unfeeling ribaldry. At last one (and Young did not dare take credit himself) tossed them down a bed and some blankets. The family were here left by the burglars, nor did they obtain release till accidentally discovered the next morning. It was the one who had shown this trifling mark of humanity whose life was spared. The writer was present at the trial, and well remembers hearing this villain give his evidence; the daring callousness and effrontery he evinced; the indifference with which he admitted himself to have been the leader and most ruffianly of the party, and that he had been long associated with burglars. The whole court was filled with horror at the thought the ends of justice could only be perfected by letting such a monster loose again upon society. The indignation throughout the town reached to such a pitch, that it was necessary to send a strong constabulary body to protect him from the fury of the mob, who discovering him in his progress down the High-street to Hampton-wick, he was hooted at, pelted with all manner of filth, his clothes torn, and when on Kingston-bridge a daring attempt was made to hurl him over. It was with extreme difficulty he was saved. Had the attempt succeeded, the consequences would have been serious to those engaged in thus riotously displaying their sense of the deep infamy of this monster's character, for a barge was passing at the time, and he must have fallen upon its deck. To such a pitch did the riot extend itself, that numerous persons were committed, and it was found necessary to re-convey the fellow to the town gaol for security. There is also another point in which justice has been peculiarly retributive in this case. The burglary, for which by this time he has been hanged, was committed two years ago, and it is entirely owing to his apprehension as to the suspected murderer of Mr Richardson, and the searching investigation then made into his character and haunts, that the facts were elicited and evidence obtained which lead to his conviction. He has since his conviction been twice visited by Mr Richardson, and his admissions, as far as they are presently known, and that he and another made the attack on Mr Richardson, and that it was his hand which fired the deadly shot; but he denies that murder was premeditated. It was because of the bold front which Mr Richardson presented, and the discovery he was armed, that he fired, conceiving he had no alternative but to shoot or be shot. He says only two were actually engaged in the attack, but he says a third party was concerned, although not on the ground, a story extremely improbable. If West, the carrier, had pursued him, he declared he should certainly have fired on him. It has not transpired as yet whether he disclosed the names of his accomplices, but it is to be hoped that he may, in the last moments of life, have made some further communication which the ends of justice may require to be kept secret.

Back to the index

We are very grateful to Mr Trefor Jones for supplying additional material.

The Hampshire Advertiser & Salisbury Guardian Royal Yacht Club Gazette, dated 02 August 1834 has an account of Young's execcution and contradicts claims that he confessed to the Richardson murder.

Bank Robbery
Bank Robbery
Gun Crime
Gun Crime
Highway Robbery
Highway Robbery
Prize Fight
Prize Fight