In 2009 Bourne Hall Museum put together an exhibition of photos in Bourne Hall foyer, bringing back to life long-gone buildings of character that many argue should never have been demolished. Jeremy Harte, the museum curator, very kindly gave us access to the images which we have put on these pages.
Old Bourne Hall, the epitome of our lost buildings, built in the 1770s and demolished after years of neglect in 1962. Links to our Bourne Hall and Garbrand Hall pages
No. 5 Cheam Road (Nuttalls' shop) was originally a mediaeval 5-bay jettied house. The chimneys came later.
Nuttalls' shop on Cheam Road, with early nineteenth-century bay windows at the front and the old house behind.
The courtyard around Furniss' yard in Epsom High Street was a warren of buildings, all swept away now except the Edwards & Sharp building standing in front of TK Maxx.
Many of the houses near Furniss' yard were built in the 1690s with fragments of Nonsuch Palace stone in the walls.
This row of houses was built before 1704. The One Tun, so called from 1807 onwards, was run by Pagden's Brewery. Link to our Public Houses page