Dr John Winslow Mayd MD
1761 - 1848
General Practitioner in Epsom
Rev. William Mayd MA
1797 - 1879
Vicar of Ewell 18 December 1824 - 4 August 1827
Dr J W Mayd
John Winslow Mayd was baptised at Moreton in Marsh, Gloucester, on 1 July 1761, a son of Rev William and Anne Mayd. His father was then a curate at Moreton in Marsh Chapel but became Rector of St Lawrence, Bourton on the Hill, on 3 November 1761. By 1783, John Wislow had become a house Surgeon at the Westminster Hospital.
On 1 September 1787, as John Winslow Mayd of Ebbisham, surgeon, he took a lease for 20 years at £47. 16s. rent from Dennis O'Kelly of Edgware, Middlesex, of 7 closes, formerly woodland now arable, called Jackmans (34ac. 2r. 22p.) in Epsom.
A letter dated 14 February 1789 describing a post mortem examination of a former patient in the town may be read in Medical communications
, Volume 2
His marriage to Harriet Raven, daughter of Christopher Raven and Elizabeth, nee Hall, is recorded to have taken place at St Martin's Epsom on 28 January 1794.
As shown by the following record of a Monument in St Martin's churchyard, a brother in law died later that year: -
Edward Raven Gravestone
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard ©2014
Sacred to the memory of EDWARD RAVEN Son of CHRISTER & ELIZTH RAVEN who departed this Life Novr. 13th 1794 Aged 26 years.
Also ELIZTH RAVEN Wife of CHRISTER RAVEN who departed this Life March 13th 1801 Aged 58 years.
Also the said CHRISTER RAVEN of this Parish Surgeon who departed this Life Septr. 12th 1801 Aged 66 Years.
[Will of Christopher Raven, Surgeon and Apothecary of Epsom, Surrey proved 05 October 1801 - PROB 11/1364/36 ]
The burial of Mrs Harriet Mayd (nee Raven), aged 37, took place at St Martin's on 6 June 1811. About this time the family appear to have been occupying a 'messuage called Binding and a pool' [Lehmann's The Residential Copyholds of Epsom, 5C5 & 6] located on the western corner of High Street and Church Street.
He gave evidence on the murder of Ely Cox
, the gamekeeper of Mr Tessier in 1818.
At some stage, John Winslow Mayd was joined by Dr John Nicols Shelley
in a partnership which was dissolved on 31 December 1823.
The 1843 Tithe Map terrier reveals that Dr Mayd with his son the Rev William Mayd then owned and occupied many widely distributed parcels of land in Epsom. Some around plots 643 -647 had descended from the late Christopher Raven by his will dated 1798, with later codicil. These were situated in Harris Hearne Shot 'near the lower way leading to Ewell' (considered by Dr H L Lehmann at 9C 22, 25, 26, 26b & 26c) - in modern terms off East Street east of Clayton Road.
John Winslow Mayd, MD, of Epsom, expired at Withersfield Rectory on 29 September 1848, aged 88 [reg. Risbridge 12/1848]. Will PROB 11/2082/419
A 'Notice of Dr. Mayd' subsequently appeared in the Provincial Medical and Surgical Journal: -
At Withersfield Rectory, Suffolk, on the 28th of September, aged 88, died John Winslow Mayd, M.D., for upwards of fifty years a resident at Epsom, during the greater part of which time be was a general practitioner. Latterly he took the degree of M.D., and for some years being incapacitated for practice by chronic rheumatism and failure of sight, he had been in complete retirement.
He was deservedly eminent in his town and neighbourhood for great medical penetration and experience; his natural good sense, and strong sagacity which, with excellent judgement in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, rendered his opinion and advice most acceptable to his patients. He was decidedly, and in every sense of the word, a successful practitioner.
He had good scholarship, and various knowledge; the expression of his opinions and sentiments always candid, and sometimes caustic or facetious, rendered him a favourite with his contemporaries, and the recollection of these characteristics remains in the memory of surviving friends.
In the year 1812, Dr. Mayd, in conjunction with the late Dr. Hardwick, Mr. Wallace, of Carshalton, Mr. Stedman, of Guildford, Mr. Martin, of Reigate, and other friends, established the Surrey Benevolent Medical Society, of which he was the first President, and he rendered essential service in promoting the augmentation of the fund.
The worthy doctor's interment took place in Withersfield parish church
Rev W Mayd
The baptism of John Winslow and Harriet Mayd's first child, a daughter Elizabeth, is recorded in the registers of St Martin's parish church for 26 June1795. Their only son, William Mayd born 12 July 1797, followed on 29 August 1797.
Educated at Eton school, he matriculated from Exeter College, Oxford, 25 March 1817, aged 19, - BA 1822 & MA 1823 also, at Norwich Cathedral, ordained deacon 22 September 1822 and priest 13 June 1824.
On 18 December 1824, he succeeded Rev. James Maggs as Vicar of Ewell. George Lewen, Esq.,Ewell Vestry minutes include a reference to him:-
'At an adjourned vestry held in the parish church of Ewell on Sunday June 18th, 1826 ... to take into consideration the best means to be adopted to remunerate the Revd. Wm. Mayd, vicar of this parish for his preaching a sermon on Sunday afternoons. It was unanimously resolved that a subscription be entered into for that purpose which was accordingly done ... and that the church wardens will undertake to collect the same and pay over to the vicar.'
The Rev. William Mayd, Vicar of Ewell, Surrey, married Emily Matilda, eldest daughter of J. K. Jardine, Esq., of Wixoe, at Wixoe, Suffolk, 5 April 1827. On 10 April 1827, the Rev. Mr Mayd was instituted Rector of Withersfield, Suffolk.
Over time following his father's demise, William sold off the family's real estate in Epsom. By 1855 he had become Lord of the Manor of Withersfied and largest land owner in that parish.
The demise of Mrs Emily Matilda Mayd, aged 79, was reported to have occurred on 23 November 1871. Her husband survived until 22 February 1879, dying aged 81 at Withersfield.