Stoneleigh First School


PLEASE NOTE
This page is now out of date as the school has been merged with the other one on the site and renamed Meadow Primary School. We will revise this page when our resources permit.


Stoneleigh First School in 2006
Stoneleigh First School in 2006

In Tudor times, the land on which our school is built, was part of the grounds of 'Nonsuch Palace' known then as the 'Great Park'. In approximately 1682 when the palace was demolished, the Great Park was sold off as farmland, one of the largest being 'Sparrow Farm'.

From the late 1800s until 1933 the land was not worked, as it had been acquired by Mr. JJ Stone and was then part of his estate.

Thumbnail of the Stone Estate Map Thumbnail of the 1915 OS Map Thumbnail of the 1933 OS Map
Click on the thumbnail for maps of the Stone Estate, OS map 1915, OS map 1933.

In 1933 Surrey County Council bought a 6 acre plot for £5,000 and began the planning and construction of our school. It was originally built in the shape of a capital E as the monarch at the time was Edward VIII.

Stoneleigh Temporary School as an island in 18 inches of water - 25 June 1935
Stoneleigh Temporary School as an island in 18" of water - 25 June 1935
Copyright Image courtesy of Stoneleigh First School

Whilst construction was underway the senior pupils were taught in temporary classrooms, one of which is still used today as a canteen

The first part of the school was opened in 1934; it is the building known today as Nonsuch Primary School in Chadacre road. It was in this building that the infant and junior pupils were taught. In 1935 the building that we use today was opened.The infants were moved into the ground floor and the seniors onto the first. The school was called 'Stoneleigh East Council School'.

We have log books and photographs that date back to the beginning of the school. They tell of times during the 2nd World War, with air raids, children being taught in their houses and in underground air raid shelters which were in the school field; the King's Coronation and Queen Elizabeth 11's coronation; the construction of our swimming pool; the Charter Mark awarded by the Prime Minister for excellence and many fond memories for some of our community.

Extract from School Log Book - 2 August & 4 September 1939
Extract from School Log Book - 2 August & 4 September 1939
Copyright Image courtesy of Stoneleigh First School

Extract from School Log Book - 16 June 1944
Extract from School Log Book - 16 June 1944
Copyright Image courtesy of Stoneleigh First School

Some time after the war, Sutton Council bought the Chadacre site from Surrey County Council. The senior schools in the borough were then built, so our school building was used to house just infant and junior children and was known as Stoneleigh County School.

In the 1960s, the school divided into two separate schools with independent Head Teachers. The first floor became Sparrow Farm Road Community Junior School with Stoneleigh First School on the ground floor. It still remains the same today.

Our school has seen three generations in some families taught here, but it no longer is just the local school of Stoneleigh. All the teachers and staff take their lead from the superb Head Teacher, Miss Gayle Jenkins, whose aims and ethos for our school have become the way of life.

For up to date information on the school please contact:
The Headteacher
Stoneleigh First School Foundation
Sparrow Farm Road
EPSOM
KT17 2LW
Tel: 020-8786 8345
(opens email program)
Text Source Lynne Witham - Parent Governor


 Art
 Family History
 Health
 Map
 Nature
 People
 Places
 Society
 Sources
 Technology
 Trade
 Transport
 War Memorials

 Contact
 Sitemap
 What's New
 Home

Email:


Donate to The History Centre
Stoneleigh
Stoneleigh
Stoneleigh Field Names
Field Names
Stoneleigh Remembered
Remembered
Stoneleigh War Remembered
War Memories