War Memorials -
WW2 Casualties - Surnames O

Back to War Memorials Page
Back to War
Memorials Page


Click on the name to jump to the relevant entry

O'DOWD, Brian Patrick (Revised 18/09/2018)
OGILVY, Alexander Eaton (Revised 04/10/2018)
OLNEY, Charles William (Revised 05/11/2018)
OLNEY, Stanley (Revised 05/11/2018)
ORANGE, Myers * (Revised 18/09/2018)
OSBORNE, Catherine ("Kitty") Christabel * (Revised 17/04/2019)
OSBORNE, Charles Victor * (Revised 17/04/2019)
OSBORNE, Victoria Christine * (Revised 17/04/2019)
OSBORNE, Wendy Kay * (Revised 17/04/2019)
OSBORNE, Dennis Harold * (Revised 13/04/2018)
OXLADE, Francis * (Revised 13/04/2018)

* = Not included in the Book of Remembrance for reasons unknown.
If you are looking for someone whose name starts with a different letter please try:




O'DOWD, Brian Patrick. Pilot Officer (66590)

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Died 21 August 1941 Age 19

Brian's headstone in the Montrose (Sleepyhillock) Cemetery, Scotland
Brian's headstone in the Montrose (Sleepyhillock) Cemetery, Scotland
Photograph (69404877) by Julian Tansell via findagrave.com

This WW2 casualty is not listed in the Book of Remembrance but is remembered here because the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's post-war records note that his parents were "of Ewell, Surrey". As noted at the end of this article, a Borough address has been established for them. However, it is not clear that Brian himself ever lived nearer than North Cheam.

Brian was born in Q1 1922, the second and last child of Bernard Clements O'Dowd and Elizabeth Annie (née Ward). The parents' Q4 1918 marriage was registered in Wokingham but they appear to have made their first home in Marylebone: that was the district in which not only was Brian's 1922 birth registered but also that of the couple's first child, Bernard junior, on 9 June 1920.

By the time of the September 1939 Register, the family was living at 5 Lavender Avenue, North Cheam. 51 year old Bernard is listed as a "Clerical Officer, Inland Revenue", which it is known he had entered by Open Competition in 1926. (The original record is annotated to record that he was ARP 1st Aid at the Inland Revenue and had retired from the Connaught Rangers as a Sergeant.) 53 year old Elizabeth is listed with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties" and 19 year Bernard junior as a "Builders Merchants Clerk". There is one currently closed record at the address, doubtless of the 17 year old Brian.

It is understood that Brian was commissioned as a Pilot Officer for the duration of WW2 with effect from 15 May 1941. Although aged only 19, he must have already learned to fly. Almost immediately, he was attached - as an Instructor - to No. 8 Flying Training School (8FTS) at RAF Montrose. This base (on the east coast of Scotland, between Dundee and Aberdeen) had been re-opened in January 1936 as the rise of Nazi Germany prompted fears of another war with the consequent need for trained pilots.

By 1941, 8FTS normally took two intakes at any one time, providing for both intermediate and advanced sections. Training was provided on the Miles M9 Master two-seat advanced trainer, a variant of the peacetime Miles Kestrel Trainer. In trainer form, the Master was fitted with dual controls, 'blind' flying equipment, etc and equipped to carry eight practice bombs, plus one .303 Vickers machine gun mounted in the front fuselage. It was a fast, strong and fully aerobatic aircraft, serving as an excellent introduction to the high performance British Spitfire and Hurricane fighter aircraft. Indeed, during the late 1940 Battle of Britain, some M9 Masters had been modified as emergency fighters.

The Miles M9 Mk1 Master advanced trainer
The Miles M9 Mk1 Master advanced trainer
Public domain photograph from Wikimedia

On 21 August 1941, the 19 year old Brian was on a flight in Master Mk I T8430 instructing 21 year old LAC Albert John ("Jack") Murton (116568). About 10 miles from RAF Montrose, the aircraft spun out of control into the ground at Millfield Farm, near Friockheim, killing both Brian and Jack. (The accident was investigated by Wing Commander Simpson on 24 August 1941 and recorded in the 8FTS ORB.)

After little more than three months active service, Brian was buried in the Montrose (Sleepyhillock) Cemetery which holds nearly 100 Commonwealth WW2 casualties. His parents took the option of adding a personal inscription to his headstone on Grave 7. C.80,
"Not just to-day but every day in silence we will remember."
During or shortly after WW2, the O'Dowds moved to 96 Seaforth Gardens, Stoneleigh - the address at which Brian's father, Bernard, died on 23 December 1957.

Brian Bouchard & Roger Morgan © 2018

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

OGILVY, Alexander Eaton. Lieutenant.

Fleet Air Arm, Royal Navy.
Died 4 September 1940, aged 27.

Alexander Eaton Ogilvy was born in Epsom in 1913, (GRO reference: Sep 1913 Epsom 2a 69), the eldest child and only son of David and his wife Pollie. His parents had met while working together in Horton Hospital and were married in 1912 in Cornwall. Also during that year his father was promoted to Superintendent of Long Grove Mental Hospital. The family lived in Long Grove House until Alexander's father's death in 1934.

Alexander was baptised on 7 October 1913 in Christ Church, Epsom and was named after his paternal grandfather who had died in Dublin on 14 June that same year.

Alexander's sister Elaine Eaton was born on 2 December 1914 and baptised in Christ Church on 23 March 1915. His youngest sister Rosalind Mary Eaton, later known as Roddy, was also baptised in the same church, on 22 January 1917.

Alexander's early education was undertaken at Upland House School, Epsom, then aged 14, he entered the Royal Navy at Dartmouth in May 1927 and went on to serve as a cadet. After training, on 1 January 1931, he became a midshipman and served on the Repulse, Nelson and Warspite, as well as the cruiser Danae in the West Indies.

On 1 January 1934, Alexander was promoted to acting sub-lieutenant.

Alexander's father had been suffering from bad health for some time before his death in his home on 13 May 1934. A memorial service was held for him five days later on Friday, 18 May, in the Long Grove Chapel, which Alexander managed to attend with his mother and sisters, along with many other mourners.

Four months later, on 1 September, Alexander was promoted to sub-lieutenant and served on the cruiser Frobisher.

Alexander's widowed mother appeared in the 1934 Epsom Electoral Register as living under the address of Long Grove Mental Hospital, but she and his sisters had moved to Appletreewick, 80 Worple Road, Epsom by 1935.

In September, after the move, his 21-year-old sister Elaine, along with two friends, travelled to Worth Matravers, Dorset for a camping holiday that ended with tragic consequences for Elaine. The Coroner recorded a verdict that her death was due to misadventure and expressed his sympathy to her relatives, none of whom were present. It was explained that her widowed mother had been forbidden to travel by her doctor as she was in bad health and, presumably, Rosalind was nursing her and that her brother was abroad. Alexander had in fact just started a two-year tour of duty aboard the sloop Western in the East Indies and had by 16 September 1934 gained the following certificates:

Greenwich Course: Grade 2
Seamanship: Grade 2
Navigation: Grade 2
Gunnery: Grade 3
Torpedo: Grade 3

At the end of his tour, on 16 January 1937, Alexander was promoted to lieutenant.

Alexander appears with his mother and sister Rosalind in the 1938 and 1939 Surrey Electoral Registers, living at 80 Worple Road, Epsom. However, Alexander, specializing as an air observer, was appointed in 1938 to the aircraft carrier Ark Royal.

On 1 September 1939 Germany invaded Poland and on 3 September France and Britain declared war on Germany. The long agony of the Second World War had begun.

Eleven months later, on 31 August 1940, Alexander was serving with the Fleet Air Arm aboard the aircraft carrier H.M.S. Illustrious. The Illustrious, capable of carrying up to 57 aircraft, was part of a strike force launched against the airfields at Maritsa, a village situated on the west coast of the island of Rhodes.

The headquarters of the Fleet Air Arm was based in Lee-on-the-Solent in Hampshire. It played a reconnaissance role, supporting land operations in the Far East, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands and North Africa. The Fleet Air Arm operated from aircraft carriers like the Illustrious and was one of Britain's chief weapons against the German U-boats.

On 4 September 1940, Alexander was involved in an aircraft accident aboard H.M.S. Illustrious, which resulted in his death aged 27. On 27 September 1940 a service in honour of Alexander was held at St. Barnabas.

Alexander is one of nearly 2,000 remembered on the memorial erected in Lee-on-the-Solent in honour of the men of the Fleet Air Arm who died but have no known grave. Alexander Eaton Ogilvy is remembered in Bay 1, Panel 2.

He is also commemorated in the Book of Remembrance in Epsom Town Hall and on the Second World War Roll of Honour that once hung in St. Barnabas church in Temple Road, Epsom, but is at the time of writing (March 2014) unseen but in safe keeping in the Surrey History Centre in Woking, Surrey.

Administration of Alexander's effects, valued at £ 1,386 11s. 2d., was given to his mother on 17 April 1941.

His mother later commissioned a carved wooden statue of St. Peter in memory of her deceased children.

A member of the St. Barnabas' congregation, who now lives in Australia, recalls that:
On the left of the entrance to the Lady Chapel there was a beautifully carved wooden statue of St. Peter with Bible in hand and from his belt hung the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. Above the figure hung an oil lamp. The Memorial was given in memory of a Naval Officer and his sister. I am sorry that I cannot remember their names, but at the foot of the figure carved in wood was a Naval badge as seen on a Naval Officer's peak cap.
St Peter Detail
Carved Naval badge
Photo courtesy of Clive Gilbert

Fortunately, despite the radical changes within St. Barnabas, from its traditional church layout to a modern open plan design with very few of its original furnishings, the statue still stands on the left of the entrance to the Lady Chapel, in loving memory of Alexander Eaton and Elaine Eaton Ogilvy.

St Peter

Ogilvy Plaque
Statue of St. Peter and the plaque in memory of Alexander and Elaine Ogilvy
Photos courtesy of Clive Gilbert

Hazel Ballan © March 2014

Epsom, Surrey Electoral Registers
The Times 16 September 1940

Links to other members of the family on this website:

David Ogilvy, MD
Pollie, Elaine and Rosalind Ogilvy
Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

OLNEY, Charles William

Died 17 June 1944, aged 66

OLNEY, Stanley. Warrant Officer Class I/Superintendent Clerk (7647368)

Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
Died 17 June 1944, aged 29

Charles was born 15 April 1878 in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, the first child of Charles and Matilda Olney. The 1901 Census records this nearly 23 year old still living with his parents (and four younger siblings) at 23, Edward Square, Islington. His 55 year old father's occupation is listed as "Railway Engine Driver" and Charles junior's as a "Bookstall Assistant".

In Q4 1909, the 31 year old Charles married 23 year old Daisy Maria Ingram. The marriage was registered in Daisy's home district of Camberwell, but the couple set up home in North London. The 1911 Census records Charles (now "Manager of Railway Bookstall") and Maria living at 94 Seymour Road, Hornsey with the first of their three children, six month old William Charles, born locally on 15 September 1910. The couple had two more children: Stanley's birth on 1 June 1915 was registered in the Wandsworth District; and that of Ronald in Q3 1921 in the Edmonton District.

The 1939 Register records the parents living at 3 Shere Avenue, Cuddington. 61 year old Charles is now listed as "Branch Manager for W H Smith & Sons Ltd. Railway Bookstall Charing X S.R. Newsagents" and 52 year old Daisy with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties". Assuming that the currently closed record at the address is of 18 year old Ronald, all three children were still living at home, and both Stanley and his older brother, William Charles are listed as working as warehousemen for W H Smith.

During WW2, Stanley served in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers as a Superintendent Clerk (Warrant Officer I) and apparently UK-based. However, on 17 June 1944, it would seem that he was on leave at the family home (3 Shere Avenue) where both he and his father were killed in an air raid.

Father and son were buried together in Epsom Cemetery (Grave K32) on 24 June, 1944. When Daisy died in 1971, she was buried in the same grave, and the couple's surviving children - William and Ronald - erected a headstone commemorating all three of them.

The Olneys' headstone in Epsom cemetery
The Olneys' headstone in Epsom cemetery taken on 27 October 2018
Photograph courtesy of Bert Barnhurst © 2018

Roger Morgan © 2017.

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index


London Heavy Rescue Service.
Died 18 November 1944, aged 55

Myers is not listed in the Book of Remembrance but is remembered here because, although he had lived just outside the Borough, he died in Epsom Hospital.

The family background here is more than a little complicated. Myers was born in Leeds on 4 October 1889. (His entry in the 1939 Register gives 1888 as the birth year. That looks like a transcription error since the birth was registered in Leeds Q4 1889.) He was the fifth surviving child of John and Hannah Orange. The 1891 Census records the family living at 58 Primrose Road, Leeds. 42 year old John is listed as a "Printers Labourer". Five children are listed - from the 18 month old Myers to 16 year old William. (There is a large gap between William and the 9 year old Alfred, hence the supposition that the couple had lost at least one intervening child.)

By the time of the 1901 Census, the family were living at 36 East Beckett Street, Leeds. 52 year old John is now listed as a "General Labourer". 12 year old Myers is one of the four children still at home, which now include John junior born in 1892.

On 25 September 1909, Myers married Annie Murgatroyd. They were both aged 21 and the wedding was in Annie's home church of St Mary's, Horbury Junction, Wakefield. The marriage records note that she was of Forge Buildings, Horbury Junction and that Myers (a "Stonemason") was of 5 Whitehall Street, Newtown, Leeds. Myers and Annie had four children, all of whose births were registered in the Leeds District: Frederick in Q1 1911; Ernest in Q1 1915; Harold in Q2 1916; and Gladys in Q3 1918.

Myers saw Army service during WW1 in the 1/7th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment, first as Private (4826) and then Corporal (267017). The Battalion landed at Boulogne in April 1915 as part of the West Riding Division for service on the Western Front.

Very shortly after the Q3 1918 birth of Gladys - and perhaps as a result of complications in that birth - 30 year old Annie died, her death being registered in the Leeds District in Q4 1918. Myers had four young children on his hands, and quickly re-married. In Q1 1920, this 31 year old married 35 year old Lily Bateman. It seems likely that she had been widowed during WW1: the Q2 1921 registration in Leeds of the 6 May 1921 birth of their son, Raymond, notes his mother's maiden name as Henderson. Sadly, Lily died during or very shortly after that birth: her death was registered in Leeds in the same quarter, Q2 1921.

In Q4 1921 and registered in Leeds, Myers (now aged 32) remarried again - to 36 year old Elizabeth Ann Judson. Again (and for reasons discussed further below), it would seem that Elizabeth had also been widowed. Myers and Elizabeth were still in Leeds in 1927: that year's Electoral Roll records them living at 94 Louis St.

By the time of the September 1939 Register, Myers and Elizabeth were living at 13 Barnett Wood Lane, Ashtead. 50 year old Myers is listed as a "Clerk of Works (Building)" and 54 year old Elizabeth with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties". Living with them were 18 year old Raymond Orange (Myers' son from his second marriage) listed as "Apprenticed Clothiers Salesman" and 20 year old Esme Dorothy Judson listed as "Builders Secretary", presumably working with Myers. The assumption is that Esme was Elizabeth's daughter from her first marriage: the Q1 1909 registration of Esme's birth in Leeds notes her mother's maiden name as "Nicholls".

(As a tailpiece to that complicated story, in Q2 1944 and registered in the local Surrey Mid Eastern District, Esme married her step-brother Ernest Orange - one of Myers' sons from his first marriage.)

Evidently, Myers became a member of the WW2 London Heavy Rescue Service. This was established as part of the Civil Defence programme, and the name reflected the heavy winching and lifting gear used that was carried round in the back of an old pick-up truck. The service was made up of builders, plumbers, electricians and skilled workers. Its role was to stabilise areas devastated by German attacks, to allowing the parallel Light Rescue Service safe access to trapped civilians etc.

Rescue workers searching through the rubble of a block of flats
destroyed by German raids on London. A number of people are still
trapped and the death toll is feared to be heavy. February 25, 1944
Image source Getty images

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission's records note that Myers was injured on 11 August 1944, in (the now lost) Suffield Road, Southwark. (This could have been during work in the aftermath of the V1 "Doodlebug" that had landed at 05.13 hours on 17 July, demolishing 40 houses and damaging another 150.) He was brought to "the County Hospital, Epsom" (now Epsom General Hospital) where he died on 18 November, three months later.

The Commission's records also note that the widowed Elizabeth was still of 13 Barnett Wood Lane, Ashtead. She may still have been there when she died in Q4 1955, registered the local Surrey Mid Eastern District.

Brian Bouchard & Roger Morgan © 2018

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

OSBORNE, Catherine ("Kitty") Christabel

Died 19 April 1941, aged 34


OSBORNE, Charles Victor

Died 20 April 1941, aged 43


OSBORNE, Victoria Christine

Died 19 April 1941, aged 18 months


OSBORNE, Wendy Kay

Died 19 April 1941, aged 8

The family headstone in Epsom Cemetery
The family headstone in Epsom Cemetery
Photograph by Roger Morgan © 2019

None of the above is listed in the Book of Remembrance, but they are commemorated here because of their close links to Epsom which resulted in their burial in Epsom Cemetery.

Charles Victor Osborne (the second name in the list above) was born in Epsom on 11 July 1897, the first child of Epsom-born Charles Thomas Osborne and his wife Florence (née Read). The family recall Charles senior claiming that he had broken the family mould of being generations of agricultural labourers by becoming a master saddler. His apprenticeship was in London, and Florence (they married in Q3 1896, registered in the local Shoreditch District) was the "girl next door" to his lodgings in Hackney.

The 1901 Census records the couple - now with a second child, 1 year old George Frederick - living in "Osbornes Cottages", Woodcote Side on Epsom Common. 37 year old Charles senior is listed as a "Harness Maker (Employer)". By the time of the 1911 Census - when five more children had been born - the family is recorded as living at "Victoria Cottage", Woodcote Side. Charles senior is again listed as a "Harness Maker (Employer)" - it is understood at works in Bermondsey at which, among other things, his company produced the famous range of "Chossy" bicycle saddlebags.

The 13 year old Charles junior was not at home for the 1911 Census. Instead, he was recorded as a patient in the Scarlet Fever Ward of the now-lost Isolation Hospital in Hook Road, Epsom. (Hook Road's Tomlin Close now stands on its site.) He recovered and, in due course, joined the family business. On 6 April 1915, some 9 months into WW1, the nearly 19 year old Charles attested at Kingston for the Royal Army Ordnance Corps as Private 05756 for the duration of the War. The records note that he: was a "Harness Maker"; was 5' 9" tall; had a 36½" chest; and weighed 10¾ stone. He subsequently became Gunner 225686 in the Royal Garrison Artillery and saw service in France.

Charles's next appearance in the readily available records is in Q3 1933 when, registered in the Lewisham District, the now 35 year old married 25 year old Catherine Christabel Clemens - known as "Kitty" (the first name listed above). She had been born on 24 October 1907 as the sixth child of Charles (a "Steel Turner") and Amy Clemens, and is recorded as a 4 year old in the 1911 Census living with her parents and now six siblings in a first floor apartment at "Town Hall Terrace", 22 Reading Lane, Hackney.

Charles and Kitty on their wedding day
Charles and Kitty on their wedding day
Photograph with thanks to their daughter, Gillian © 2019

Charles junior and Kitty set up home in 39 Harland Avenue, Sidcup, where their first two children were born - Wendy (the last name listed above) in Q3 1933 and Gillian in Q2 1937.

However, the September 1939 Register records Charles, Kitty and their two children (assuming that they are behind the currently closed records) staying with Charles's parents at 23 Woodcote Side, Epsom - presumably the same address as "Osbornes Cottages" and "Victoria Cottage" in 1901 and 1911. This may have been in anticipation of the birth of their third child, Victoria (the last name listed above), whose Q4 1939 birth was registered in the local Surrey Mid-Eastern District. Charles senior is listed in the Register as "Harnessmaker (retired)". Charles junior (and brother George) had taken over the business: he is listed as "Leather Goods Factors - straps, bags etc (Partnership, Own Business)". Brother George had, in Q2 1928 and registered in Stepney, married Gladys Marshall. They had two children: John, whose Q3 1931 birth was registered in the Croydon District; and Sally, whose Q4 1938 birth was registered in the local Surrey Mid Eastern District - the family having by then moved to 40 Arundel Avenue, Ewell where they were recorded in the September 1939 Register with George as a "Leather Goods Maker".

Charles junior and his family subsequently returned home to 39 Harland Ave, Sidcup. On 19 April 1941, in the closing weeks of the Luftwaffe's "Blitz" bombing campaign, a bomb fell on their house. It killed 34 year old Kitty, 8 year old Wendy and 18 month old Victoria outright. Charles was badly injured and taken to Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup, where he died the following day. (4 year old Gillian survived the attack and was taken in - and later adopted - by her childless uncle, Stanley Osborne, and his wife Stella. She grew up at their home in Hertfordshire, married, and subsequently emigrated to Australia.)

Kitty and her daughters
Kitty and her daughters
(from left to right, Wendy, Vicky & Gillian)
shortly before the bombing
Photograph with thanks to Gillian © 2019

All four were brought back to Epsom for burial and were interred together in Grave M487 of Epsom Cemetery on 25 April 1941. On the headstone shown at the head of this article, "AT REST" is carved into the centre of the crosspiece, and the wording at the foot of the cross is:

Charles Victor Osborne
Aged 43
= = =
His wife Kitty aged 33 and daughters
Wendy aged 8, Vicky aged 1 1/2
= = =
Killed by enemy action 19th April 1941

Charles's brother, George, continued running the business but, just a couple of weeks after Charles and most of his family were killed, a bomb destroyed the company's works in Bermondsey. For a while, core business continued at George's home in Arundel Avenue until other accommodation was rented in Ewell. In 1954, the company moved to the 1930s Art Deco building at 168 East Street, Epsom (as illustrated below in 1992). In due course, George's son John took over the business until the company was wound up in the mid-1990s. (The site was redeveloped for housing in 2017 - the origins being remembered by calling the block of flats on East Street "Chossy House" and the small estate of houses to the rear, off Dirdene Gardens, being named Osborne Close.)

The 'Chossy' works in East Street, Epsom
The 'Chossy' works in East Street, Epsom
Photograph with thanks to "SludgeGulper" © 1992 via Flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Roger Morgan © 2019

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

OSBORNE, Dennis Harold

Died 18 July 1944, aged 16

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance

Dennis was born on 21 July 1927, the first child of Archibald Osborne and Grace Margaret (née Lincoln - they had married Q2 1927). Their marriage was registered in the Wandsworth District and Dennis's birth in the Croydon District.

The 1939 Register records the family of three living at 11 Hazel Close, Mitcham. 39 year old Archibald is listed as "Depot Manager, Sausage Factory", 33 year old Grace with the conventional "Unpaid Domestic Duties", and 12 year old Dennis is at school. (It seems that the couple had a second child, Margaret, born Q3 1943.)

On 18 July 1944, three days short of his 17th birthday and probably now in employment, Dennis (still "of 11 Hazel Close") was injured by enemy action at Purley Oaks. He was taken to Horton Emergency Hospital (one of Epsom's "cluster" of mental hospitals that, as for WW1, had been taken over for handing wartime casualties) where he died later that day.

Roger Morgan © 2018

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

OXLADE, Francis

Died 11 December 1940, aged 73

Not listed in the Book of Remembrance.

Francis was born on 5 December 1867. He is found in the 1911 Census as a 45 year old "Bricklayers Labourer" living with his 49 year old wife, Mary Ann, and their five children (aged from 2 to 19) at 8 Thorne Street South, Lambeth.

He is next found in the 1939 Register as a widowed pensioner living or staying with the mid-50s "Lorry Driver" Charles Eccles and his wife Rosa at 26 Harleyford Road, Lambeth. (Rosa's maiden name was Brown, so it does not seem that they were related to Francis.

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, he was - a year later - "of 32 Unwin Road, Peckham" when, on 8 December 1940, he was injured by enemy action while at St. Giles' Hospital, Camberwell.

He was taken to Horton Emergency Hospital (one of Epsom's "cluster" of mental hospitals that, as for WW1, had been taken over for handing wartime casualties) where he died three days later, on 11 December 1940.

Roger Morgan © 2018

Please contact the Webmaster if you have information or pictures that can extend this entry.

Back to the index

Please Note: We believe that the information on this page is accurate however users should satisfy themselves that the information is correct before incurring any expense or undertaking any journeys. This is particularly important when purchasing certificates from other bodies, for example the General Register Office. You might like to use the following links to Freebmd and Find My Past (Links open in a new window).