Not quite 21 years after the end of the most lethal war that Britain had fought in, the Great War, the Second World War began. Whilst many new memorials to the dead of the Second World War were created, often existing Great War memorials were modified to include the victims of the Second World War.
The memorials in Epsom and Ewell are a mixture new and modified memorials.
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, WEST EWELL.
The Great War memorial at All Saints church commemorating the 24 service personnel killed, was modified to include the names of the 21 service personnel killed in the Second World War.
About three times as many men were killed in the First World War as in the Second World War. That the All Saints church memorial does not reflect this can be explained because much of the housing in West Ewell was built between the two world wars, which greatly increased its population.
Epsom cemetery holds the graves of 48 service personnel. St. Mary's churchyard and extension hold 2 and 11 respectively. Horton Estate Cemetery holds the remains of one serviceman, who is commemorated within the CWGC plot in Epsom Cemetery.
Christ Church has a separate Second World War memorial on which are commemorated fifty eight men from the congregation.
This St Barnabas' Church Roll of Honour bears the names of 18 local men who lost their lives fighting for God, King and Country during the Second World War. It is paper based and was previously held in a frame.
In order to prevent the Roll from deteriorating and therefore preserve it for future generations, it is stored at the Surrey History Centre (SHC), in Woking.
However inside St. Barnabas Church, a facsimile of the Roll of Honour along with biographies of the fallen can be seen, all housed in a special cabinet. Also within the cabinet can be seen the Roll of Honour and biographies for the fallen of the Great War 1914-1918.
The Great War memorial in St. Mary's churchyard was modified to include the Second World War by simply modifying a panel, adding the years 1939 - 1945. As with the Ashley Road memorial no names were added, instead they can be viewed in the Book of Remembrance kept in the foyer of the Town Hall.