Ancient Order of Foresters
On Whit Sunday, 15 May 1921 a handsome plaque, commemorating the fourteen members of the Ancient Order of Foresters
who has lost their lives in the Great War, was unveiled at their headquarters in Waterloo Road, Epsom.
A local newspaper printed the following:
In the large room has been erected the memorial, which is a large brass plaque, on oak, bearing the names of the following, who made the great sacrifice:--
Frank Atkins, J.H. Baldwin, H. Beaton, Frank Down, G.R. Fox, F. Gorey, H. Gorey, T. Hankins, J.A. Oldridge, F. Plume, A.H. Sargent, W.P Scott, G.H.G. Tomsett, W.G. Tye.
Above the names is the Foresters' crest, a stag's head and crown, and the following:--
"A.O.F., Court Wellington, No. 3449. -- In honoured memory of our brothers who laid down their lives in the Great war, 1914-1918." Under the names is "Lest we forget."
The lettering on the board is black and red, and there is a scroll border. The memorial is excellent in design and workmanship, and the members of Court Wellington are very pleased with it as a tangible expression of their feelings towards their late members, and the desire to perpetuate their memory. The cost of the memorial, the work of Messrs. Hammond and Hussey, Croydon, has been met by subscriptions by the members.
On the right hand side of this picture of people enjoying a
fancy dress dance, taken on 3 May 1934, the plaque can be seen.
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum
Unfortunately the plaque cannot now be located and was probably lost when the building in which it was housed, the old Wesleyan Chapel in Waterloo Road, Epsom, was demolished in the 1970s.