War Memorials -
Dipping Well Railings

Back to War Memorials Page
Back to War
Memorials Page


Dipping Well Memorial
The Dipping Well Memorial
The Portland stone panel to commemorate to the Great War dead.
Iron railings, believed to commemorate the peace of Waterloo c1816
Photograph courtesy of Clive Gilbert ©2007

A well known feature of Ewell's High Street is the fenced Dipping Well (an enclosed spring) beside the Dog Gate entrance to Bourne Hall. Its main feature is the memorial to the men of Ewell who lost their lives in the "Great War" of 1914-18. There is, however, also an apparent link with the Battle of Waterloo.

The Battle of Waterloo was fought on Sunday, 18 June 1815, near Waterloo in present-day Belgium, then part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. After a costly and close-run battle, the French army under the command of Napoleon Bonaparte was defeated by two of the armies of the Seventh Coalition: a British-led Allied army under the command of the Duke of Wellington, and a Prussian army under the command of Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, Prince of Wahlstatt.

The battle was the end of the Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815) - a series of major conflicts pitting the French Empire and its allies, led by Napoleon, against a fluctuating array of European powers formed into various coalitions, financed and usually led by the United Kingdom. The final defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte was the case of great rejoicing in the UK.

The Dipping Well has a small inscription tablet with the following text:
"This cistern was made and fenced at the charge and expense of some of the inhabitants of Ewell and the trustees of the Epsom Road."
The "Cast iron railings, probably of circa 1816 on stone plinth enclosing a square paved space with rectangular basin and inscription tablet" are Listed Grade II by Historic England. Whose records note that "Local tradition says that this spring was enclosed to commemorate the Peace of Waterloo."