Woodcote End House
in combination with Queen Anne House, Woodcote Road, Epsom.
[Not to be confused with Chalk Lane Hotel
also formerly known as Woodcote End House]
Woodcote End House in February 2012
Image courtesy of Brian Bouchard ©2012
"Mid C18. Road front. Two storeys, red brick, three sash windows. Central late C18 bowed stucco porch with Tower of the Winds half columns, round headed windows and central doorway; frieze and cornice. Parapet, old tile roof. To left of this front is projecting late C17 - early C18 portion, now called Queen Anne House, of two storeys, red brick, with four cased sashes, and moulded bands to floor level and as cornice to parapet. Old panelled door to left hand with 'modern Georgian' door-case. Elevation to garden is two storeys and attic, red brick, four sashes, bands and parapet. Square hipped old tile roof with two flat topped dormers. Projecting wing on right, two storeys, red brick, segmental bowed front and 2 - light sash on each floor. Additions to left and right. Interior: Elliptical entrance hall, coved ceiling and niche in wall facing door, mahogany doors. Octagonal room to South with 'Adam' ceiling and walls and fireplace. Room to garden with panelled plaster ceiling. Original staircase with delicate fluted balusters and carved brackets. The house was the home of the Rev. Martin Madan (1726-1790) an Anglican Clergyman of Methodist views. In 1780 he published a work called 'Thelyphthora' advocating Polygamy as the only cure for prostitution in women. The book raised a storm of protest and caused him to retire here in seclusion.
C18 wall along west side of garden to Queen Anne House: red brick.
Queen Anne House including garden wall, Woodcote End House and Nos 7 to 11 (odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ2067759971 10 April 1954".
Woodcote End House date not known
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum
A local historian's report: -
Cloudesley S. Willis, writing in Surrey Archaeological Collections
Vol. 51, 1950, provided the following description.
A group of buildings of various dates forming a country house of remarkable interest standing, with a large lawn and paddock, on the north-east side of Woodcote Road.
Quite at the end of the 17th century there was built here a small house with unusually good decorations. The front is of red brick with a brick cornice and moulded string-course and the original windows with heavy sash-bars. The entrance is paved with stone and black squares. The ground floor of what remains of this house is occupied by a fine kitchen, the walls of which are
lined with Dutch tiles finished with a wooden cornice; it has a moulded beam and six-panel doors. The original oven and charcoal hot-plate, and a long working bench for the cook under the windows, are preserved. The range opening has a flat moulded arch with key-stone and pilasters. The upper part of this building has two rooms with panelling, cornices and dados and doors with six raised panels.
About 1760 a house abutting on the south-east side was erected; it is of red brick in two storeys with a garret and parapet. The entrance is through an elliptical portico standing on stone steps. This admits to a stone paved hall of elliptical plan with a niche and a fluted and coved cornice. The architraves of the doors follow the sweep of the plan, but the doors themselves are flat and of mahogany with six raised panels. On the south is a charming room of octagonal form with three windows and a dummy window. The walls are plastered and panelled, with a dado and decoration of the ceiling is a scalloped patera and oval compartments with ewers. The wooden mantel-piece has a frieze with carved swags and pilasters with foliage springing from vases. A room on the garden has a ceiling panelled round the cornice with rosettes in squares and in the centre a square panel with scrolls. There is a carved wooden chimney-piece with paterae and swags.
The planning of some of the rooms is circular. The staircase has carved brackets on the ends of the treads and fluted balusters of delicate form. The bedrooms have doors with six raised panels fitted with beads.
About 1790 the original house was extended into the garden with a semicircular bay, thus providing a room on the ground floor with a wide bay-window, and doors with beaded panels and fluted architraves with rosettes at the comers. The room above corresponds and has the original door furniture with drop handles.
The red brick stabling to the east provides a pleasing wing to the forecourt. The stable is treated with two gauged brick niches of good workmanship, round paterae and a pediment; the coach-house also has a pediment. Between the fore-court and the road are wrought-iron railings and gates with cast-iron posts and vases. In the garden, between brick piers, is an early 18th-century wicket gate of wrought-iron with side panels, pilasters and overthrow and the cipher J. P.; the opening is 4 feet 1 inch wide, perhaps to allow the passage of sedan-chairs.
The house was occupied by the Rev. Martin Madan, B.A. (born 5 October 1725, Bond Street, London, died 1790), an Anglican clergyman of Methodist views. In 1780 he published Thelyphthora advocating polygamy, which raised a storm of indignation; and he retired to Epsom, where he is said to have been burnt in an effigy. He was a cousin of William Cowper, the poet. The footpath between garden walls skirting the property is known as Madan's Walk."
H L Lehmann considers this property at 14A6, 14B6 &14C6 in the Residential Copyholds of Epsom. On 27 September 1667 it was in the possession of Thomas Belcher of Epsom, carrier, with his wife Katharina. Following Thomas Belcher's death, recorded on 19 April 1672, his heirs sold to John and Joseph Bayly, sons of Thomas Bayly, citizen and barber surgeon of London, 'all that messuage, barn, stables, gardens, orchards, and one piece of land thereunto belonging in a place called Woodcott End...': the Baylys were recorded as holding the estate for the 1680 survey. From 31 March 1699, they were granted a licence to let the property for 7 years and, on 28 May 1702, John Bayly, citizen and dyer of London, & Joseph Bayly of London, merchant, sold it. The purchasers, William Proctor, citizen and fishmonger of London, and Samuel Proctor his son, acquired 'all those two messuages (formerly one messuage), stables, garden, orchard, and that piece of land thereunto belonging, lying in a place called Woodcott End, one of the said messuages in the occupation of Anne Marden, widow'.
The death of William Proctor of St Mildred, Bread Street, City of London, was recorded on 28 February 1726 [Will, PROB 11/614, 1 December 1726, & PROB 11/617, 25 February 1727, (Sentence)] and the property was inherited by his eldest son, Samuel (bap. 22 July 1691). Following a report of Samuel Proctor's demise, 14 May 1728, the two messuages (formerly one messuage) passed to his brother William (bap. 22 July 1696) [Will, Samuell (sic) Proctor, Merchant of London, 4 April 1728, PROB 11/621]
At the death of William, late of Epsom, recorded 25 May 1737, [Will, William Proctor of Epsom, 14 February 1737, PROB 11/681] he was succeeded by his surviving brother George (bap. 7 March 1699). In 1739, George Proctor also acquired Langley Park, Norfolk, but he survived only until 1744 [Will, dated 23 September 1742, of George Proctor of Langley, Norfolk, proved 25 September 1744, PROB 11/735]. The Proctors were well connected as shown by Baronetage of England, 1803, - Beauchamp-Proctor of Langley Park, Norfolk, later Proctor-Beauchamp Baronetcy.
On 11 November 1754, George Proctor's surviving executor sold to John Hopkins of Epsom, 'gardiner', 'the two customary messuages, late in possession of George Proctor' with 4 acres of land. A detailed description of the Hopkin's various holdings then appears in the 1755 survey. John Hopkins obtained a licence, 20 June 1756, to let the Woodcote End properties for 14 years and on 23 March 1763 it was recorded that he had been granted enfranchisement of them.
At St Martin's, 10 May 1764, by licence, John Hopkins of Epsom, widower, married Anne Senior, widow, from the same parish. John's death was recorded on 3 June 1776: his properties were devised by will dated 26 May 1774 [proved 28 February 1776 PROB 11/1016] to the relict Ann Hopkins. She survived for less than a year - buried St Martin's 8 February 1777 [Will proved 27 January 1777 PROB 11/1027].
St Martin's churchyard Headstone 339 - West.
In Memory of MR. JOHN HOPKINS who departed this Life February13th 1776 Aged 78 Years.
Likewise in Memory of MRS. ANN HOPKINS Wife of the above JOHN HOPKINS
(Rest beneath earth)
Ann's son, William Senior of Maidstone, Kent, shoemaker, inherited the real estate but by the 1780 land tax returns Revd. Mr Madan had come to be listed as proprietor and occupier.
Rev. Martin Madan by Thomas Kitchin
Image Source Wikipedia
Martin Madan is believed to have retired to his Epsom property in 1781 but, having died there, 2 May 1790, he was buried at St. Mary Abbot's Church, Kensington, on 8 May 1790. [Will dated 4 April 1778 proved 12 May 1790, 'Clerk of Epsom' PROB 11/1192] His widow survived for little more than a year [Will proved 30 June 1791 PROB 11/1206]: -
St Martin's churchyard No 470 Altar Tomb - Broken.
'In Memory of MRS JANE M(ADAN) Widow of the late Rev. MARTIN (MADAN)
Ob. June 1(7) 17(91) [Actually 15 June ] Aetat 68 years [Buried as 'Madden' 23 June 1791]
ALSO MRS MARIA MADAN Daugh(ter) (of the above) who dep(arted this life)
at Carshalton Surrey the 22nd of October 1829, (Ag)ed 74 Years' [Buried 29 October 1829]
The property appears to have been retained in the Madan estate but tenanted by:- Milner, 1793, Lowe, 1795, & Mr Haines, 1801. Subsequently it came into the possession of Mrs Haines as indicated by Some particulars relating to the history of Epsom
, Henry Pownall, 1825:-
"The house standing in the lane, branching from Woodcote to the town, is the property of
Mrs. Haynes; and now the residence of Mrs.Fish (possibly Pownall's relation - Henry Pownall). It was formerly the abode of the celebrated Dr. Madan... during his residence here, he interposed his authority as a magistrate, to prevent the introduction of illegal games into the town during the race week; he gave notice to those persons, who were in the habit of letting their houses for this purpose, that it was contrary to the laws of their country, and if they persisted in doing it, they must take the consequences. Several trades people, who disregarded this notice, were sent to prison, which so exasperated the inhabitants, that they burnt his effigy, near the spot where the pump now stands."
[Rev Martin Madan (1725 -1790) Oxford Dictionary of National Biography accessible via the Surrey libraries website]
In 1831 the occupier was Thomas Kender, Esq. and by 1843 Dr Thomas John Graham. Woodcote End House had been offered to be let for a term of 3, 5, or 7 years in 1838, described as in perfect order fit for immediate occupation. It then comprised a dining room 20 feet square, drawing room 24 feet by 18, breakfast room 18 feet by 14, 4 principal & 2 subsidiary bedrooms, with 3 attics, housekeeper's room, kitchen, scullery, wash-house and man's bedroom over. The site of about six acres contained ample cellarage, a courtyard in which is a laundry with 4 rooms over, four-stall stable, harness room, double coach-house and brew-house, together with lawn and pleasure ground, a small conservatory, kitchen garden and meadow.
Confusingly, Dr Graham's books state 'The Author is in London professionally the first and third Tuesdays in the month, at the Golden Cross Hotel, and notes may he left for him at 17, Strand, London; but letters from the country had better be directed to Epsom - Woodcote Lodge, Epsom, near London'.
C J Swete, in his Handbook of Epsom, 1860, remarks:-
"This house where Mr, Madan lived and died is at present, as we mentioned, in the occupation of Dr. T. J. Graham, author of the well-known 'Modern Domestic Medicine' and other books. The 'Modern Domestic Medicine' is a volume, invaluable to the heads of families, and has already reached a twelfth edition. It is remarkable for its diagnoses, its clear description of symptoms, and is at the same time so particular in prescribing the needful remedies, that the Doctor, who still practices can be only accused of in many cases rendering his visits unnecessary since his literary substitute sometimes completes the work of cure. This however must be a most valuable book in scattered neighbourhoods, where an immediate application of remedies often saves life until a professional man can be called in." [As a Methodist, Dr Graham had strongly held views on other matters*]
Plan from Sales Particulars
Thomas John Graham, MD, of Woodcote End House, Epsom, died on 28 October 1876, in his 81st year. [Reg. Epsom 12/1876].
In the 1881 Census one finds there William C Daniel, Genl. Pract'r, M.D. Heidelberg, M.R.C.S. & L.S.A. London. The Report of Commissioners in Lunacy, 14 August 1882 includes: - "Dr. W. C. Daniel receives in Woodcote End House, Woodcote End, Epsom, two male patients. At the last visit, however, there was only one in residence. The house is a good one, and well furnished, and has pleasant grounds"
. [Listed as a private asylum from 1880- SHC QS 5/5.] The 'Desirable old-fashioned residence, Woodcote End House, ' came up for auction on 11 May 1886. By 1900, Dr William Clement Daniel was practising from 'Silver Birches' on Church Street whilst Woodcote End House was owned by Hollands Executors and let to Robert More. It would appear that the premises had come into the possession of Augustus Holland of Abele Grove
who died in 1895.
The tenant, Robert More, appears in the 1901 census of Epsom, 'of independent means', with his son Robert Schaw More.
The property eventually passed to Miss Margaret Holland, daughter of Augustus, but she died in the summer of 1912, aged 64, [reg. Axminster 6/1912]. Consequently, it was offered for sale by her Executors at auction in 1913, with Woodcote Hall.
The 1913 Woodcote End House Sales Particulars
Click images to enlarge
Images courtesy of James Hakim © 2012
In 1905 the premises had been taken over, on lease, by William Charles Jackson, a partner in Jackson Pixley & Co., Chartered Accountants, also in the house would have been his son Francis William Jex Jackson. W C Jackson died at Woodcote End House on 22 April 1923.
On 7 December 1938, Woodcote End House comprising a fine old Georgian house standing in grounds of five and a half acres, ripe for immediate development, was offered for sale at auction by Order of Trustees.
Apparently, Queen Anne House was divided off from the rest of Woodcote End House after Cloudesley Willis prepared his piece for publication in 1950 but before listing on 10 April 1954.
Sir Stanley William Baker (1928 -1976), actor, died in Malaga on 28 June 1976 but had retained Woodcote End House as his home in England.
Brian Bouchard © February 2012
The United Presbyterian Magazine, 1850
"On Preachers and Popular Education - We like to meet Dr Graham, in whatever department he chooses to employ his vigorous and practical pen. He belongs to a choice class, of which a few specimens have been furnished by our own age,- of men, eminent in the profession of medicine, taking a prominent place as writers in favour of earnest, vital Christianity. A Wesleyan, his style of writing is another instance, in addition to many with which the public have recently become familiar, attesting that a bold, free, outspoken man may have had his training under an oligarchical and somewhat imperious system. He traces the decay of the influence of the pulpit mainly to a want of searching address in regard to the perceptive and practical parts of Christianity, an opinion which we fear does not touch the root of the evil. That there is an antinomian spirit in the church, needing to be watched and suppressed, is too true; but we venture to say, that in the cases animadverted on by the author, there was as much a want of the clear, full exhibition of gospel doctrine as there was of the searching and faithful application of Christian precept; and if the fault be on both sides, we know which of the two we should seek to have amended first, if we wanted to make sure of having them both amended effectually. The grace of God will teach to deny all ungodliness. The love of Christ will constrain to full, self-denying obedience. There is great force, however, and obvious truth, in most of the author's observations on the preaching and preachers of our day. His rebuke of splendid preaching, and of Sabbath desecrating and railway speculating ministers, deserves to be felt wherever it will apply. In the second part of the volume, the author exposes, with caustic fervour, what he calls the plague-plot of the government system of education,- its indiscriminate support of Popish, Jewish, Socinian, and Evangelical doctrines, and strenuously denounces the participation of its benefits by men holding the truth of the Gospel."